View Poll Results: What Kind Of Backup Medium You Suggest
Hard Disk Drive 28 96.55%
Verbatim DVD 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 21:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heavy Data Back Up DVD or HDD

as far as I know, SSD are not good for long term storage. may be better when connected to a power supply permanently though.

where do you keep your HDD? ventilated, away from dust? no physical movement?
EDIT: you said laptop drive. with the physical abuse, i am not surprised.they get hot pretty quickly depending on how you use the laptop.

I keep one at work (completely encrypted) and I think that's in the best physical environments.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:55   #47
BHPian

1TB was connected to the ps3 all the time, so constant read and occasional write. The other one was my laptop drive. Both were at home and gone. Looking for a solid replacement now..
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:07   #48
BHPian

I spent some good amount of time last month and zeroed in on an LG NAS with DVD writer. I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop in my house and all are automatically backed up on a weekly basis. The NSA has RAID 1 and just to be on the safer side everything is backed up to a USB hard drive from the NAS (manually). I also have the option of writing on to DVD which I haven't tried. For $220, it is the best solution I could find.
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:13   #49
BHPian

Costing more than Rs. 100 per GB, using SSDs for backup purposes is prohibitive for most. Especially cheap MLC stuff, they have comparatively higher failure rates.

Having accumulated more than 100GB in video files, I got myself some Moserbaer Platinum Hardcoated DVDs (Got a Ebay discount coupon for Rs. 50, so paid Rs. 85 for 5 DVDs, Rs. 105 + Rs. 30 shipping - Rs. 50 discount.) Then googled and found that normal DVDs have a shell life of 6 years. Back to square 1. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks