Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1476.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3832485)
That was a good suggestion. Have already flashed it with CM12.1. It is darn fast!
However, I do have a problem - the camera does not seem to support slo mo video now (on the stock it does).
Any ideas?

Tried out apps like Pro Capture / Snap Camera HDR? They may help.

CM Camera app is generally quite basic and never as optimized. I like Pro Capture for sheer image quality on my S3 (CM10.3)

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 3832607)
Tried out apps like Pro Capture / Snap Camera HDR? They may help.

CM Camera app is generally quite basic and never as optimized. I like Pro Capture for sheer image quality on my S3 (CM10.3)

I did try a couple but none of them seem to have the slo mo feature, which is quite useful. Though I can live without it as of now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3832485)
That was a good suggestion. Have already flashed it with CM12.1. It is darn fast!
However, I do have a problem - the camera does not seem to support slo mo video now (on the stock it does).
Any ideas?

Hey Pratyush, great to hear another guy getting on to the custom ROM gang. However, if you don't mind wiping the phone again, have a serious look at Resurrection Remix. That ROM is many a levels ahead of the already awesome CM12.1. Has lots of great features. CM almost feels like AOSP after getting to RR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTeacher (Post 3831966)
Can you please provide model # of the cables or a link? Thanks much!

This is one i got.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aukey...rchweb201560_9

If you want longer cables and black colored ones then go for Tronsmart.

I feel these have the 2 cables of all the useful sizes. Quality is the same as aukey - 20 AWG.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Trons...rchweb201560_9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3832359)
A little bit of cash came my way, so first treat is one of those Aukey chargers for the usual charging "station," which is my desk. I'll shift the Xiaomi charger, which is no slouch, but not Quickcharge 2.0 to the bedroom.

I'll be away for a couple of weeks in December, too, so the three-port charger will be very handy to have by the guesthouse bed.

Check out the same charger on Aliexpress. Available for lot cheaper.

I also noticed that the pins are of US type in which case you would need an adapter. Is the one sold on Amazon india come with EU type plug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukul32 (Post 3832634)
Hey Pratyush, great to hear another guy getting on to the custom ROM gang. However, if you don't mind wiping the phone again, have a serious look at Resurrection Remix. That ROM is many a levels ahead of the already awesome CM12.1. Has lots of great features. CM almost feels like AOSP after getting to RR.

Hey Mukul,
Have had experience prior to this but it was with phones that were tough to brick (N9, N900) and even encouraged rooting and playing around with it. First with Android.

The only issue in trying the other ROM is getting the apps back again. It is a royal pain. Took me such a long time. But will definitely find out more and give it a go in some time.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3832876)

The only issue in trying the other ROM is getting the apps back again. It is a royal pain. Took me such a long time. But will definitely find out more and give it a go in some time.

Thanks.

Don't you use Titanium Backup? If you are using the paid version, you can even do a batch restore of all the apps.

Now waiting. My Moto X Play has been shipped from Chennai yesterday. Being im Gurgaon at the moment I expect delivery in about three (max four) days. One issue I will have is getting the SIM cut from Micro to Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3832976)
Now waiting. My Moto X Play has been shipped from Chennai yesterday. Being im Gurgaon at the moment I expect delivery in about three (max four) days. One issue I will have is getting the SIM cut from Micro to Nano.

Cutting the SIM may result in crude edges or damage the SIM completely. Getting a replacement Nano SIM is a relatively easier process from customer service centres.

Quote:

Now waiting. One issue I will have is getting the SIM cut from Micro to Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 3832978)
Cutting the SIM may result in crude edges or damage the SIM completely.

Yes, best to get a new nano SIM. Don't cut.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakensoul (Post 3832978)
Cutting the SIM may result in crude edges or damage the SIM completely. Getting a replacement Nano SIM is a relatively easier process from customer service centres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 3832995)

Depends on your adeptness at cutting only the borders while retaining the chip. My sim on Iphone 6 is working fine. I cut the borders and retained the chip.

I have seen the phone-shop guys cut very neatly with a small machine. I think this works well to micro, but nano is supposed to be thinner. If the phone has a slide-in/out tray then I wouldn't like to risk it getting jammed.

When I took my sim to be cut, the guy said it was very old, and would actually fall apart if they tried to cut it. I had had that sim since 2005. Aircel branch was just down the road and they did do it in a few minutes. Not for free, though, although the cost also added some balance to my pre-paid number.

Quote:

One issue I will have is getting the SIM cut from Micro to Nano.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3833127)
I think this works well to micro, but nano is supposed to be thinner.

I too have to go for the nano-sim for my newly ordered Nexus-6.
I had cut the mini-sim to micro-sim earlier myself with the scissors and it has worked well.However the nano-sim is thinner.

It is just Rs.50 for a new nano-sim from my carrier Aircel. I have already got the new sim with me and was told that after getting my new phone, it will take only around 10 minutes to get this new one activated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 3832995)

I cut my micro-sim using a cutter at the shop when I got my Sony z3. I've since been using an adapter as my s5 has a micro sim slot. Worked perfectly in both scenarios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3832714)

Thank you much, sir, this info is immensely useful!

Moto X Play - A week's review:

I upgraded from a Moto E to a Moto X play last week. Phone is a midrange device with Motorola's flagship name - X. Phone's been good so far, nothing big to boast about this device and that has left me a bit disappointed. Here are positives and negatives that I observed in the past one week.

Negatives:
- Poor WiFi reception. My Moto E1 had a better WiFi reception! It's extremely irritating when Viber & Skype calls get dropped frequently when being 2 rooms away from WiFi router. My Moto E1 had no issues with WiFi! This is particularly disappointing and shows where Motorola has done some cost cutting.

- Speed isn't all that great, just a little better than my Moto E1. This is disappointing as well since you expect an Octacore 1.7ghz device to perform a lot better than an entry level 1ghz Dual core phone running the same OS. This was kind of evident when I scrolled through Google Keep lists, it gets stuck for a split second and then scrolls again.

- Touch screen acts weird when I use the phone whilst charging it. The touch response is lethargic at times when Its charging.

- Heats up like crazy when you download stuff on 4G! Started using the phone out of the box in 4G, heated up like crazy! This particular SnapDragon chipset is known for heating issues. However, the heating issue got resolved once I switched to 3G.

Positives:

- Amazing cameras! Front cam is comparable to the likes of iPhone front cam. The rear cam too is bloody good! Attaching a pic
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1445786055751.jpg

- Brilliant display! 5.5" 1080p display is such a treat for the eyes! Performs well under sunlight as well! Been using it at the lowest brightness and its more than sufficient for indoor use with low - medium light. The only issue here is that, its extremely bright even at the lowest brightness when you wake up in the middle of night and check your phone for messages :P

- Good battery life! Hits the 15% threshold after 16hours & some heavy texting. Not the 30hour battery life like Motorola claims but, this will do! The monstrous 3600mah battery takes a long time to charge though.

- Moto gestures: Phone's Moto display wakes up when you pick the phone up from the desk or when you whip it out of the pocket. These are useful touches that gives you a quick glance on the notifications and time.

- Moto voice: Love this feature, phone listens to you! It gets everything accurately. "Hello Moto X" command wakes it up even when the screen is locked. Also, in case you have a pin, it will enter it for you if you narrate it(Not the best thing to do when you have company). Has a plethora of commands that do interesting stuff. But I decided to turn it off cos I don't want Motorola/Google to be listening to what I'm talking :)

So , these are what I have observed in the past one week. I will keep posting the good and bad bits as and when I face them!
Overall, I'd rate this phone 7/10.