Team-BHP - Samsung bada o/s : Will it take off
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Samsung bada o/s : Will it take off (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/84534-samsung-bada-o-s-will-take-off.html)

I have been curious to know whether this new operating system would take off with a market already flooded with operating systems fighting for a foothold. Samsung seems to be pretty serious about bada and seems to be doing things right in the right direction. I am with them so far.

Will they be able to steer the new operating system to a commercial success.

I definitely have taken notice of this new new o/s after reading so much about the android o/s which I feel promises more than it delivers in reality at this point in time with all upgrade problems.

The economic pricing of the Samsung Wave ( IGhz,2 Gb internal Mem, 5 Mp Cam, HD Video recording,Metal body, super AMOLED) around 17K at this point in time) for the features also is quite tempting.

What do experts think about the future of this o/s and the phones running on bada going forward.

one word, market place.
Its key for the OS to take off. I was absolutely amazed by the specs of the wave and definitely will pick up one, any time soon.

The success will depend on the developer support. If they can get developers to make apps for this platform, then they will be successful. They have been making all the right moves so far. They have given away free phones to developers and have organised a lot of conferences. They are also giving away for free NFS SHIFT game for the first 1.2 million users who download this for their Wave.
I'm hoping that the number of apps will pickup soon. Right now, they don't have too many on the app store. But Samsung is a big company and I'm sure they can get developers to rally around them by throwing in a lot of cash and rewards.

They are trying their best to make it work. Of that there is no doubt. The pricing of Wave, the developer challenge and associated prizes, the portfolio of devices lined up based on the o/s and now the free apps with Wave all point to Samsung's intention to give their o/s a great start and their belief that they will be able to make it work.

I have been using the Wave for around 10 days now and it is an awesome phone. At the risk of sounding childish I would say I have seen no piece of gadgetry like it for a long time at this kind of a price. Everybody in my circle who has seen the phone wants one. IMO they could have priced it 20-25% higher and it would have still sold like hot cakes.

The idea to come up with a feature-rich phone and offer it at a cut price is definitely motivated by the desire to make their o/s a success. Will it become a success? Maybe, maybe not. I am inclined to say it will. But even if it doesn't, I would not blame Samsung for a lack of effort.

Did you download the free NFS game from the Samsung Apps site? If not, do it now. I heard the game is great and it is free for a limited period. I'm planning to buy this phone, but I'm waiting for the feedback on the Route 66 maps supplied with the phone coz I intend to use it as a GPS device.

This OS was used on Samsung phones before and now they want to tap the applications developers. Should be a robust platform and depends on how many hop on to develop apps for this phone. Samsung could give a good integrated experience like Apple does.

Will be interesting see how all linux based OSes like Bada, Android and MeeGo are going to fare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 1957568)
This OS was used on Samsung phones before and now they want to tap the applications developers. Should be a robust platform and depends on how many hop on to develop apps for this phone. Samsung could give a good integrated experience like Apple does.

The OS wasnt used before on other phones. The OS is completely new. I think you are confusing the UI ( called Touchwiz ) with the OS. The UI is present on almost all touch based Samsung Phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpunter (Post 1957550)
Did you download the free NFS game from the Samsung Apps site? If not, do it now. I heard the game is great and it is free for a limited period. I'm planning to buy this phone, but I'm waiting for the feedback on the Route 66 maps supplied with the phone coz I intend to use it as a GPS device.

Not yet. I am still in office working on my official laptop which does not have Kies installed (and which it will not let me install). It is free for the first 1.2 million users so I am hoping it will not run out quick. I will download once I get home (in another hour or so).

About the Route 66 maps - I tried to activate it but for some reason all that is appearing is a more or less political map of the world. It shows 'Getting position' forever and if I try to go to a location (read search a location) it can't find any. I must mention that I have no prior experience of using a GPS before. Wouldn't Google maps suffice or does Route 66 navigation bring in something specific that you are looking for?

What might make it click is the fact that they should make sure they harness the Chinese, Taiwanese, Japnese and the korean markets with their local language related app store and local developers
This can bring up a huge change and a huge market, like how QQ.com and Baidu.com survive in China without need of any English speaking customers.

They can still manage a big market with just local language speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesc (Post 1957618)
Wouldn't Google maps suffice or does Route 66 navigation bring in something specific that you are looking for?

Google maps would mean downloading a lot of data through GPRS whereas with Route 66, you could download the map on your pc and copy it into a memory card and then use it without incurring any data charges.

This question is already being discussed at another thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nd-15-20k.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanagg1 (Post 1952500)
Samsung wave Seems a very good deal. Any feed back for BADA OS.
Any ideas why Samsung GalaxyS is so premium priced at 31K.

Thanks every body for very rapid responses.
Please keep them pouring in like rains in Mumbai
cheers

P.S. Merging may be option for administrators

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanagg1 (Post 1957927)
This question is already being discussed at another thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nd-15-20k.html

P.S. Merging may be option for administrators

Merging might not make sense as a lot of posts in that thread discuss about phones available in the price range. If it were to be merged in that thread or vice versa the purpose of either tittle would not make sense as it would dilute the thread.

If some expert has some indepth knowledge of the strengths of the OS and things to share on this new OS, it would be enlightening.

Its esentially Linux under the hood. Wouldn't an Android + extensions approach have given them a ready app base? The extensions could be made rich enough for developers to use Samsung's version. And differentiate the UI/UX - a la HTC Sense. Of course, I may be missing a few licence tricks here given that Google would've seen something like this happen when they took the open Android route, but sounds like this may have had a better market / support than Bada will, unless they throw a lot of money and weight behind it, or offer it to others too as an open platform.

Question: given the hardware, isn't there an Android port for the Wave ? It sure looks like a good phone.

With Andriod, iOS and MeeGo coming into market and people getting more and more aware of OSs in mobiles and their advantages. I really doubt how much success BADA OS will get and how long Samsung will support it.

Also as Samsung is supporting BADA OS, it has to continuously build more apps and new versions with bug fixes.

Today, Mobile OS world is very dynamic. Every month new verision, every month new OS, no gaurantee if your phone bought today is compatible with new version of same OS! :Frustrati

Thanks Muni for inviting me to this thread.

@zenx it does not have linux under the hood , It has an RTOS based platform which was being used for years under the hood but ultimately it may come on Linux based OS as well ( which is a parallel effort with in comp.)

The main proposition of bada is the bada server and services being planned. Also bada strategy is to push down downloadable apps and smartphone features down the food chain on where the featurephone lies. It is planned for a market which is 10 to 20 million phones every year.

The linux based OS is basically for very high end devices where as bada can be scaled to lower end devices

Can't say much here but there is a developer challenge for bada you can download the SDK and try out , there may be several rough edges as it is still first version of opening up the platform to the world. There is no registration fee for being a developer ( 99$ for Apple and 25$ for google)
Developer revenue share is 70% so if sales projection can be met developers can take thier applications from high end models market to mid tire feature phone market by next year.

Also to conserve the resources application model is restrictive as of now.

Again if someone is looking for a good phone with lots of productivity applications as of today Samsung Galaxy-S with Android is better but for a good phone to play around as consumer wave is good. 1 year down the line app store may have lots of useful apps.

Anyway if you are a software developer try out bada challange the money is good and does not involve any investment except your time.