Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2005, 15:50   #1
VMG
BHPian

Dish TV - DTH

I have a query about DishTV.

- Is the same dish equipment can be used for other service provider also? ( If I have Zee dish today, tomorrow can I have Star or Sun network without changing the equipment ( Dish antenna, set of box etc., )

- How is the quality of picture and sound now?

- How is the service? (I am in Chennai)

Thanks
Old 7th November 2005, 16:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Theoraticaly you can. All you need is the Star/Sun network code. Infact having a code card allows you to watch certain "foreign" channels too.
But in India Star may demand that you buy set top box from them only
Old 8th November 2005, 00:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is this the concept that failed so miserably in Delhi a couple of years ago? VMG, are you saying that you can change the direction of the dish according to which channel you want? I thought the set-top boxes received signals through cable rather than sattelite. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 8th November 2005, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

well, as far as i know, most of the channels come thru the same sattellite,which is in south east of india. but even otherwise, i guess changing the direction will not be a big deal.

deeps, set top box is reqd for cable(signal thru cable) as well as DTH (signal thru satellite). and although they are both called set top box, they are different in functionality.

and if they have to give us a smart card, it shud be compatible to any set top box. but yes, they might want us to buy the whole system from them.
Old 8th November 2005, 10:49   #5
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
anyone can see all channels with one settop box. what is required is that the channes should be available from the DTH provider. unlike satellite channels , in DTH all the channels are trasmitted in Ku band not C band. further the DTH provider encodes all signals and send them to Ku band satellite for trasmission. as of now Star and Sony boutiques are not availble from DishTV as both of them refused to share content with Dish tv as they have their own plans for dish.( or due some reasons we dont know)
as of now we have MSO's ( Multi system operators) like Hathway( part owened by Star) Siti cable( Zee owned) Incable( hinduja owned) , sumangali network in chennai( Sun network owned) here we get all the channes from one MSO only. our neighbourhood cable wallah gets his feed from one of these guys. here there is method of sharing content on rival networks but that is not there as on now in DTH platform, as star and sun has own plans of DTH platform. as and when both of these DTh services start we can expect sharing of content between the different DTH service providers just like in cable. if they share the content now Dish Tv of ZEE will get first mover advantage and corner all customers. then star and sony has to depend on zee , which they dont want. the main reason being unlike cable subscription, here consumer has to put in around 5K as initial investment , having put 5k many will be hesitent to shift , hence Zee will have monopoly.
that is why these are not offering their channels on Dish TV. this is also the reason for recent reduction in the dish tv offer of Dish for 4K . earlier it was asking morethan 7K.
with in 6 months we can get tata-star dish. further reliance( anil ambani group) has aslo applied for DTH licence
Old 8th November 2005, 10:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Its coming back again. I personally know couple of people who have shifted to DTH because of the cable operator problems(Strikes, poor reception etc.,). They get fewer channels for now, but that will change bext year
Old 9th November 2005, 10:34   #7
VMG
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Would like to know about quality of picture and sound in Chennai area especially in rainy period.
With all your feedback, I think switching over to other service provider at later stage ( Tata or Reliance or Star )will not be a problem with the existing dish and set top box.
Old 9th November 2005, 15:26   #8
rkg
Senior - BHPian

you dont have switch the service provider as u will be getting all channels form dish itself. however it would be wise to wait till others also launch their service as one can expect further drop in prices. esp with Star's record of having distributed the settop box free in UK to get customers.
heavy rains do hamper the quality of reception of any Ku band transmission. normal rains no problems. otherwise quality is far far superior to cable and u will be getting stereo reception
recently dish has introduced two schemes like 3990 for one year ( this includes all equipment + one year subscription)
the other one is for 4990 with more channels

Most Viewed