Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:47   #1
BHPian

Home audio mid range fails

Dear Gurus,

I'd been dormant from tbhp for quite a long time due to personal commitments and office pressures (Recession effects!). But when my home audio speakers failed, I had no other place to turn to.

Recently I found that both midranges of Mission 782s were not working. Originally 782 came with Audax 130mm Keraform cones. Replacement speakers costs around AED 200/- each with Mission dealer here (who are not dealing with Mission anymore). That makes AED 400/- for both. The replacement ones are Audax Aerogel 130mm units. I am not sure whether I should invest this amount in an old set of speakers.

Hence I took it to a technician who checked the voice coils and says that voice coils are dead (or voice coil opened). Apparently I cant find spares here. Technician says if I can find voice coil and spider, he would fix the speakers for me. Cone and surrounds are in good condition.

My family will be travelling to Trivandrum this weekend and will be back in 15 days. Any tbhpians who knows shop in Trivandrum which sells good quality voice coils and spiders, please advice details.

Details:
130mm mid range,
10mm x 26mm dia voice coil, 2 layers (26mm including formers)
80mm dia spiders with 26mm dia opening
Might be 6 or 8 ohms (not sure).

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2010, 07:16   #2
BHPian

Dhar... Servicing a speaker will never bring it back to its previous condition. I replaced the cone, coil, and spider of my Ahuja speaker from Ahuja (Thrissur) itself, but then too there was considerable difference. I would recommend you to get a new speaker, as I did.
Old 29th July 2010, 07:46   #3
BHPian

Well, if you were in Bangalore, in SJP road, there is a guy called "speaker Babu" who would repair them for you..
Old 29th July 2010, 12:21   #4
BHPian

Thank you guys.
@Chipz
I too am skeptical about the sound after a replacing voice coil. But I'm not sure whether I should spend AED 400/- on a 8 yr old units.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't know any specific shop but Takaraparambu road is the place to look for in Trivandrum.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I recall two shops which used to rewind speakers. Mind you , the impedance would be different ( a friend got an 8 ohm woofer rewound, and ended up with 6 ohms). One is in thakaraparmb, and another is in the killipalam east fort bypass road, on the left side.

not sure about the quality of materials you get here in tvm. Apart from the shops at thakaraparamb. try out vrinda, national, telematics, harisree ... all of them anyway
Old 29th July 2010, 13:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please PM redfire.

Wont Santosh be able to help?
Old 29th July 2010, 14:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

From time to time the voice coil os a speaker (more ofnte if it is not used) comes undone. I have lost many a speaker to this.

Sadly repair is not something that can be done easily. When done the T/S specs are not usually the same. To do that one would first need access to original spares (spiders, surround, dustcaps, etc..) and then LMS or something similar to re-measure the reparied driver.

My suggestion is to either get it repaired locally for a few hundred Rs. or buy a new pair of speakers.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:05   #9
BHPian

Are you from thrissur. There are lots of shops doing speaker winding in post office road. Check them out. You wont find good electronics repair shops here in trivandrum like in thrissur.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:59   #10
BHPian

Thanks guys for help and sorry for late reply.

I have arranged to send the speakers to some one in thakaraparambu to check. Meanwhile I took the speakers from centre 78c and fixed it in the floor standers. Centre speaker wont be in use as much as the main speakers are.

Upon close examination, I found that the copper wire from terminal to voice coil has become dark greenish in colour from half way till where it is soldered with voice coil. I think this wire is corroded. But how?

Searched all of Dubai Deira electronic market and found a store which sells speaker spares. But the voice coil they sell is nowhere near the original one. So waiting for an answer from home.

@greenhorn, @jaguar
Thanks. I've arranged someone to go to thakaraparambu. Hope they have some good voice coils.
@jkdas
Sure I'll contact Santhosh. Its long time since I called him.

@Navinji
I guess I'll get it repaired and use it for the centre speaker. If the result is not satisfactory then I'll get the replacement ones. I never new that speaker coils can get damaged in storage. I have many speakers (both home and car) lying around unused.

@Chipz
I was in Thrissur some time back. Not anymore.

BTW any one knows about Dakshin Speakers? Do they sell spares? I'll send and email to find out.

Regards,
Old 12th October 2010, 19:42   #11
BHPian

Update.

Sorry for the delay in update.
The speakers were repaired from one Mr. Parameshwar in TVM. My Father in law found him through contacts given by fellow tbhpians. I am told that the speakers were send to B'lore and repaired with the same components. A visual inspection also reveals that the voice coil and cone are the same.

The work done is ver professional and certainly deserves appreciation. Performance wise, i feel that they now sound little less loud than earlier thus throwing the tweeter/midrange out of balance. It dont matter much since I use this speakers only for movies now. Also the cost incurred was less than Rs. 750/- compared to ~ Rs. 5,000/- for new pair (raw driver).

Thank you tbhpians for all the help.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:31   #12
BHPian

You can of course change the capacitor to the tweeter to lessen the volume.
Old 15th October 2010, 09:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
@Navinji
I guess I'll get it repaired and use it for the centre speaker. If the result is not satisfactory then I'll get the replacement ones. I never new that speaker coils can get damaged in storage.
It is usually in storage that speakers get damaged. Speakers I have lost in this manner....4 Focal 8N515, 2 Focal 8K516J, 2 Focal T120tdx, 2 Morel MDT33, 2 ScanSpeak 18W8545, 4 ScanSpeak 18W8546, 2 ScanSpeak 2905-9900 (Revelator), 2 ScanSpeak 2905-9800 (metal dome), 2 Dynaudio 24W100, 2 Dynaudio D52af, 2 Dynaudio D21af, 2 Audax HM170Z0 (Aerogel), over a dozen assorted Vifa drivers .....the list is endless.

When a speaker is used the coil is warm and moisture does not settle and do damage. It is when the speakers is NOT used that moisture gets a chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks