Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 12:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Wifi Problem in Compaq

Hi.

Bought a new wifi router (D Link DIR 600) for my existing BSNL broadband connection.
I installed the router using my Acer laptop and am currently able to access the wifi network.
But when I tried with my Compaq presario C500 laptop, am unable to access it. Network is visible, but shows "Acquiring Network key".
When I inserted the CD, it showed that the router is already setup. Guess that's for installing the router and it's just a one time process.

Can anybody shed some light?
Awaiting some answers. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check settings of wifi in Acer first, see if it has ip or dns etc entered. If so you would want to add the same to the new laptop or change the setting in the wifi router so that it works with auto assignment of ip etc instead of static ones.

ps: am not a guru to give you more technical explanation, so please pardon
Old 29th July 2010, 13:12   #3
BHPian

did you setup any mac-address filter list, on your router. In that case you might have to add this new Laptops Mac address to the list
Other things that should match (u can checkj the Acer config as mentioned by Jaggu) the network SSID, authentication method (none, WEP or WAP), authentication key in case of WEP/WAP.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Case 0: Have you enabled DHCP or still using Static IP address to be assigned by your router to your laptop's ethernet card? Enable DHCP if not yet done.
Case 1: Have you provided a WPA security key to the router? If so then you need to key in that in your Compaq to access the router.
Case 2: Have you by any chance enabled MAC access list (ACL)? In this case also unless you update the MAC ACL you won't be able to connect to the router.
Case 3: If nothing else works reset the router and re-configure it again.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Adding to Kaushik's comment, what security have you configured on Wi-Fi. And what OS versions are running on both laptops. I've seen some older WinXP not able to handle WPA2.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, thanks for your comments.

I have WPA security configured.
Using the static IP provided by the router.
MAC not enabled.
I use Vista in Acer and XP in Compaq.

Sorry, am not an expert in this too.
I configured the router using the setup wizard that came along with the kit.
In Compaq, the icon shows that it's connected, but the status is "Acquiring Network key". I have entered the right network key and the SSID name is also the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks