Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 00:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smartphone ROM flashing: HTC Touch 3G (Jade)

Folks,

I bought HTC Touch 3G (Jade) couple of days ago with Windows 6.5. While rest all is good, what is sorely missing, is the TouchFlo, which makes navigation super cool and easy. TouchFlo is available on older HTC Touch 3G, which run Windows 6.5.

I see several TouchFlo .cab and ROM files for Windows 6.5. So I have few questions about their compatibility:
  1. Which is safer to install? .cab or ROM? I see that installing .cab is like installing a program, but what about ROM? Does installing ROM would wipe out OS? Will it make the phone unstable? How do I ensure that ROM will work on my Touch 3G Jade?
  2. What happens in case ROM is incompatible with hardware? How can I avoid that?
  3. I tried installing couple of .cab files (around 5-10 MB) for touchflo but neither worked. I don't know what went wrong.
  4. Last question, is it worth keeping Windows 6.5? Or should I opt for older Windows 6.1 with TouchFlo? (The seller is giving me a choice).
I have look around information net, especially xpa-developers forum, but I could barely make out anything from that, except knowing that there are plethora of ROMs available for even wider hardware configurations.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 19th August 2010, 14:09   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Folks,

I bought HTC Touch 3G (Jade) couple of days ago with Windows 6.5. While rest all is good, what is sorely missing, is the TouchFlo, which makes navigation super cool and easy. TouchFlo is available on older HTC Touch 3G, which run Windows 6.5.

I see several TouchFlo .cab and ROM files for Windows 6.5. So I have few questions about their compatibility:
  1. Which is safer to install? .cab or ROM? I see that installing .cab is like installing a program, but what about ROM? Does installing ROM would wipe out OS? Will it make the phone unstable? How do I ensure that ROM will work on my Touch 3G Jade?
  2. What happens in case ROM is incompatible with hardware? How can I avoid that?
  3. I tried installing couple of .cab files (around 5-10 MB) for touchflo but neither worked. I don't know what went wrong.
  4. Last question, is it worth keeping Windows 6.5? Or should I opt for older Windows 6.1 with TouchFlo? (The seller is giving me a choice).
I have look around information net, especially xpa-developers forum, but I could barely make out anything from that, except knowing that there are plethora of ROMs available for even wider hardware configurations.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

A WM ROM is actually the whole OS,so yeah when you install a ROM you wipe clean the contents of your phone and start afresh.

If your knowledge about the working of smartphones is basic DO NOT INSTALL roms as you'll end up with a brick

User-created roms are much better than stock roms and faster too,head over to the xda forum,they have a subsection for the Jade,remember that flashing ROMS will void your warranty

As for the cabs try to search for the versions of the apps compatible with wm6.5 and your screen size

And WM6.5 is fully touch optimised and much faster and more stable than WM 6.1,go for it
Old 19th August 2010, 14:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I see several TouchFlo .cab and ROM files for Windows 6.5.
Touch flo.cab is not an app.its the installation file for the touch flo UI for phones that do not have it,so installing it on the jade doesn't make sense as it already has touch flo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks