Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 10:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Photograph Scanner

Aroy, condor and alpha, thank you for the valuable inputs, although the whole exercise went in vain. Here is the procedure I followed to scan papers into PDF -
  1. Download "Sonic PDF Creator Version 3" software and install it.
  2. Scan papers at 200 DPI and save them as jpg.
  3. Open the jpg images in Microsoft Picture Manager and compress them into "Documents", so that their size is reduced to less than 100 KB.
  4. Once the images are compressed, give the print command. Select the Sonic PDF Creator option and convert the jpg image into PDF.
  5. Alternatively, I could also scan by using CamScanner.
Now I had the PDF files of size less than 200KB, scanned at 200 DPI. All as per the Department's wish. I attached the files with the application, They got attached and the application was uploaded successfully.

What happens today is, I checked my email. I got one from the Department, stating that my application has been rejected. Reason? None of the PDF files could be read on their Adobe (Adobe Reader 11). I was also told that of the 12 applications, 10 were rejected on the same grounds. Those who did this using CamScanner were also rejected. Now I have to do the whole exercise again.

Last edited by Swapnil4585 : 20th July 2015 at 10:09.
Old 20th July 2015, 13:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Aroy, condor and alpha, thank you for the valuable inputs, although the whole exercise went in vain. Here is the procedure I followed to scan papers into PDF -
  1. Download "Sonic PDF Creator Version 3" software and install it.
  2. Scan papers at 200 DPI and save them as jpg.
  3. Open the jpg images in Microsoft Picture Manager and compress them into "Documents", so that their size is reduced to less than 100 KB.
  4. Once the images are compressed, give the print command. Select the Sonic PDF Creator option and convert the jpg image into PDF.
  5. Alternatively, I could also scan by using CamScanner.
Now I had the PDF files of size less than 200KB, scanned at 200 DPI. All as per the Department's wish. I attached the files with the application, They got attached and the application was uploaded successfully.

What happens today is, I checked my email. I got one from the Department, stating that my application has been rejected. Reason? None of the PDF files could be read on their Adobe (Adobe Reader 11). I was also told that of the 12 applications, 10 were rejected on the same grounds. Those who did this using CamScanner were also rejected. Now I have to do the whole exercise again.
Use CutePdf, it is compatible with Adobe Reader. To ensure portability, install the Adobe Reader 11, and check your final files in this.

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
Old 12th May 2023, 12:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Reviving this old thread on scanners, but specific question regarding a Film Scanner

With some time on my hands now, I want to digitize my stock of 35mm film negatives. I have a friend coming down from the US in about 2 weeks

Please give your suggestions for a good Film scanner upto around 20k INR.

I am checking Ebay too. Plustek 8200 series are listed from upwards of 300 USD.

Note - I dont want a document scanner function in this device
Old 14th May 2023, 11:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Reviving this old thread on scanners, but specific question regarding a Film Scanner

With some time on my hands now, I want to digitize my stock of 35mm film negatives. I have a friend coming down from the US in about 2 weeks

Please give your suggestions for a good Film scanner upto around 20k INR.

I am checking Ebay too. Plustek 8200 series are listed from upwards of 300 USD.

Note - I dont want a document scanner function in this device
There are two parts to scanning films

1. The basic scan

2. Converting the colour negative to positive

The first part is easy. Any good dslr (24MP) will do a good job, better than some scanners

The second part is tricky. It requires software that
. Converts negative to positive
. Applies custom curves (for the type of film) to get the image to have proper colour and intensity.

SO

1. Get hold of a good software that will process the scanned negatives to give you perfect positive images.

2. If you have a hires DSLR, then get a dedicated lense (60mm for Nikon) and a film scan adapter.

The first item is most important.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...your-film-dslr

https://www.negativelabpro.com/guide/scanning/

http://natephotographic.com/dslr-fil...pment-software

I hope this helps
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:30   #35
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think I have the budget for any specialty photography scanner. I'll forget it for now.

Meanwhile I need to buy a dedicated scanner for my office, I guess I'll manage with that.
Why not just ask a local reputable photo printing shop, who has the machines, do a few samples and compare what you’re missing out on? Might not be worth the effort to get everything perfect. Even the original prints would have faded over time.
Old 14th May 2023, 12:06   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Why not just ask a local reputable photo printing shop, who has the machines, do a few samples and compare what you’re missing out on? Might not be worth the effort to get everything perfect. Even the original prints would have faded over time.
Thanks, I somehow managed it. After 13 years even a basic scanner can do what was a challenge back then.
Old 14th May 2023, 15:10   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Get hold of a good software that will process the scanned negatives to give you perfect positive images.

2. If you have a hires DSLR, then get a dedicated lense (60mm for Nikon) and a film scan adapter.
IMO, not a convenient process. Will have to spend on that lens too. Esp at a time when I am thinking of selling the D5200 also.

The setup, shooting, the processing et al. And the number of rolls that I want to convert and get rid of the negatives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks