Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 22:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Like all MS products OE 6 is also has some of its own issue.

You cannot bloat data to multi GBs. What i do for this is I make folders (like Biz 2009, Personal 2009) for old mails and archive them somewhere else. If i want to see some of them i import it in OE. and delete them again.

Rule of thumb is that, i keep about 2 months of last years mail along with current year.

never had any issue since past many years.
Old 11th September 2010, 23:35   #17
BHPian

Outlook E was not very successful. Howver imported stuff Directly in TB, things seem to be fine, just that I am not yet able to setup my account in that.
Old 12th September 2010, 00:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

I suggest the the best option is to go for a database. You can store, secure, index, search and lot more wiht that.

PST/OST are the personal storage solution that wont scale to the requirements you have. Even if you move to some other option (TB or something else), that can hold this data for now, you may get into the same situation again after sometime (if a better, scalable option is not available by that time).
From the email client and PIM perspective, I guess outlook is very good (check out the new features in 2010), but at the same time, PST/OST is not a long term solution for storage.
I used to archive my emails, but for past coupel of years I dont. I have learnt to delete them - I never knew until now that I really dont need the old emails - with the new version, you can do the clean-up folder, where it will shrink the entire conversation to single or fewer emails; also you can remove attachments to save space, but it seems its more important for your type of requirement.
If you foresee good growth in the inbound information and storage requirement, go with some sort of database solution.
Old 12th September 2010, 09:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

A different approach would to continue using PST and install desktop search from Microsoft.

It makes finding information quite easy. Just start typing Java, and it would show all email that have this keyword (or some attachment in that email has this keyword).
Old 12th September 2010, 10:49   #20
BHPian

@ Ketan - I am looking for Data base options too. And I do not have problems with the PST, its just that I want to be prepared. Instead of deleting the mails or creating a large file, I have created multiple PST files. Which each file limited to around 4 GB so that they can easily be brunt on a DVD. All the PST are configured in outlook, while my primary PST always around 1-2 GB mark.

And I guess I will give office 2010 a shot as well.

@ NetfreakBombay - Have been doing that for years. Atleast 5 for sure . There have been software around to do that for ages.
Old 12th September 2010, 15:08   #21

Shashank, I could not understand your requirement, why exactly you want to go away with the PST files?

The best way to manage the PST files is to not allow them grow more than 2GB and take a backup, as far as data-base type of system is concerned, I don't think we have any mail archive system which stores emails in (Known) Database formats and provides a frontend to retrieve them.

What kind of account you have? Do you connect to a Exchange server?
Old 12th September 2010, 16:30   #22
BHPian

I use google apps.

And PST are working perfectly for me. However I want to go open source and not rely on MS for my requirements. As of now I am too much dependent on those and sometimes not feel comfortable with it.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I do the following

- For current Files I have the default .pst
- For older files I sort/move them by subject, create multiple .pst, and delete them from the current .pst.

For attachments I always copy them to organized folders. Once the attachments are in normal files they can be pushed into data base. The data base text search does the rest for me.

Most of the HRD consultants I know maintain their data on Data Base software, hence it must be easy to transfer e-mail data to data base.

Just Google and got this in response to "email to database software"
Email To Database, Email Parser and Message Automation Solution - Email2DB
Old 13th September 2010, 00:16   #24
BHPian

I tried one such SW last week. It took between 5-10 second to parse one CV and in the meantime the PC is useless.

I am still looking for something that can do the parsing in the background and can deliver high accuracy rates.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

What is Maximum File Size limit for Mozilla Thunderbird?
Old 16th September 2010, 15:27   #26
BHPian

Does the e-mail client have anything do with max size of a file? I don't think so.
It's more to do with the system, OS etc etc.
If you have a 32-bit m/c with 32-bit OS installed, files > 2GB (-2^32- 2^31) cannot be accessed by any application.

Since you want to switch to Open Source why don't you think of installing Fedora or some other variant of Linux? You can choose the e-mail program which suits you better. Maybe the below link will help you
Top 6 Linux/UNIX Email Clients for Windows Converts - About Email
Old 17th September 2010, 10:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Does the e-mail client have anything do with max size of a file? I don't think so.
It's more to do with the system, OS etc etc.
If you have a 32-bit m/c with 32-bit OS installed, files > 2GB (-2^32- 2^31) cannot be accessed by any application.

Since you want to switch to Open Source why don't you think of installing Fedora or some other variant of Linux? You can choose the e-mail program which suits you better. Maybe the below link will help you
Top 6 Linux/UNIX Email Clients for Windows Converts - About Email

Above link is for Linux Users while i have Win 7 Home.

I have found while searching that Maximum file size limit for Outlook 2003 & Outlook 2007 is 2GB.

Anyone using Mozilla Thunderbird? Need to know the Max File Size before switching to Thunderbird from Outlook. Pls

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks