Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 12:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

BD, next time just call me if you have any issues with the iPhone.

I will exchange notes of iphone with the thar launch dates!
Old 29th September 2010, 13:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Regarding switching off mobiles phones while flying, I never used to do it.
Why?

though now they have relaxed the norms and people (who are in extreme hurry to talk on phones) can use their phones as soon as the plane lands.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Simple things like removing the battery is not possible on iPhone. I had a iPhone and had many issues with it, mainly related to battery. Unlike in other phones, where they could have simply changed the battery, they had to send the phone for service and eventually replace the entire set.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:20   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Why?

though now they have relaxed the norms and people (who are in extreme hurry to talk on phones) can use their phones as soon as the plane lands.

They relaxed it? I still thought that you are not supposed to turn on the phone till the plane taxis in and comes to a complete stop and the door is open. Also one is not supposed to open the over head lockers, but every moron does both!

Guess if the phone doesn't switch off, one can let the battery drain by turning on all applications, wifi, gps, music player, blah blah blah. Further when the phone keeps hunting for network, the battery drains faster! But then the flight journey might be over by then. But no idea what one can do with a frozen iphone till the battery drains completely.

I was never a fan of iphone because of the fact that one can't replace the battery themself.

Last edited by MX6 : 29th September 2010 at 13:24.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:35   #20
BHPian

Many of us go out and buy the iPhone because if its cool looks and innovative features that are so different from the numerous competitor products out there. However, we come down hard on the product and its shortcomings just because it does not allow us to do something that we are so used to doing in conventional phones. Like in this case, removing the battery for a phone reset. In fact the hard reset is a well known resolution method to reset the iPhone and if not all, most iPhone users are aware of this.

I think it is unfair to come down so hard on Apple while Apple is still one of the top rated companies for its excellent customer support.

Getting to know the product features, its shortcomings, and few common tips and tricks, would go a long way in having a satisfactory and hassle free ownership experience.
Old 29th September 2010, 18:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - thank you for very good comments.

Now my iPhone is working and I did not take any help from anybody. I just used some simple rationality and common sense. The situation was that either I will get a response from apple or I will not. Considering that "I will not get a response" is more likely (normal in customer care which I am very well aware how these things work), I decided that I had to do something very rational. So I just left the damn thing as it is (as it is I was travelling and had no time). The screen had frozen but its light intensity was less than normal which happens if you keep it as it is for some time. After around 6 hours, I saw it, the intensity was same as before. Again I left it alone. After about 36 hours, the battery must have drained completely to zero because the screen was now completely blank. I just connected the charger and left it to charge. That means in effect without physically removing the battery, I electrically removed the battery and reconnected it. I prayed that my little trick would work. It worked. The thing has started working now. Thank God because otherwise I would have had to run after these people to get something done. My biggest problem is time because I have 100 other things to do, who will run after these guys yaar!

The first golden rule of customer centricity is - YOUR PRODUCT MUST WORK OUT THERE IN THE FIELD IN THE HANDS OF THE CUSTOMER. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY.

So Dear Mr.Steve Jobs - the next time something like this happens, I'll just lump the iPhone. The most deadly customer is the guy who will not even tell you that your product is not working out there. He will quietly move away forever. SO, PLEASE DO SOMETHING EFFECTIVE TO RESTORE MY CONFIDENCE AS A CUSTOMER TOWARDS YOUR PRODUCT. I PAID FOR IT SO I HAVE A RIGHT TO ASK THIS QUESTION TO YOU. WHAT IS THAT "SOMETHING EFFECTIVE"? I LEAVE IT TO YOU.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th September 2010, 18:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Did you try doing the hard reset as instructed. I am told its something like disconnecting the battery terminal of your car when it starts showing service light
Old 29th September 2010, 18:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You should know how to do the hard reset when you own a iphone lol. I have done it couple of times, while keeping the home button pressed press the power button also and wait for few seconds phone will automatically switch off. Because you can not physically remove the battery, everytime the phone hangs you have to do this.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The first golden rule of customer centricity is - YOUR PRODUCT MUST WORK OUT THERE IN THE FIELD IN THE HANDS OF THE CUSTOMER. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY.
Steve may reply to you back quoting another golden rule...to read out the manual/guide/faq/troubleshooting section etc etc before contacting customer care

BTW, now I assume you would have got the idea of hard reset...it is a smart idea to do a hard reset once in a while, when things start turning sluggish.

Like in software testing the saying goes - first thing to be tested is if the "exit" option works!!

Last edited by sanjayc : 29th September 2010 at 19:50.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:56   #25
BANNED

Apple designed the battery in this way so that people cannot replace a battery which goes dead after the warranty period & people are forced to buy a new phone.

These days Apple's ethics actually makes Microsoft & others look good.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone was not picking up network so I had to hard boot it, using the same home and power switch combination. It has not forzen as yet, but what has is the iPod and on more than one occasion. There is nothing I could do about it except wait for it to come alive on its own and it did all the time after a couple of hours of ignorance.

Since we are at the topic there is a joke about the iPhone 4 when around the same time the movie Inception had released.

It went like this:

"Inception, not to be mixed with the horror flick 'No Reception' from Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If you remember 9/11 as per reports. there were people on the ill fated flights talking on the mobile. The ban on mobiles is more of a regulatory issue.
See now thats funny, because the psuedo victim called from a 11K feet which was not possible at that time and technology and 3 years after that American Airlines invested in a technology where in flight calls could be made w/o hinderence to aircraft electronics. So the 9/11 call thing is subject to controversy, come on no person calls his mother and says "Mother I am first name last name"
Search for Loose Change on You tube for more.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th September 2010 at 20:23.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:37   #27
BHPian

Hard reset is the option and it is good to do it once in a while.

Why it happens? (freezing)

1) SMS trails are large and too many of them.
Solution- Delete trail sms's and reset again.

2) Any App which is conflicting or not updated.
Solution - Update your apps and the phone regularly. Especially the apps. Very true when your using Edge or any Internet on the phone as well.

3) Delete Caches and cookies regularly. They build up and keep the browser and the phone from responding correctly. Can be done through settings.

These are what I have personally found and also proven on a few websites as well.

Hope it helps all iphone users.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:58   #28
BHPian

Steve da man

Well, Steve is the man who recently famously said, you are holding the phone wrong and that's interfering with the antenna and hence bad reception. I was like .

In my opinion Any I<Fill in the blanks> is more evolutionary in design and form than function. But that's me anyways.

Good luck with your phone.

Source

Cheers

Last edited by vj_carLover : 29th September 2010 at 21:05. Reason: Added source link
Old 29th September 2010, 21:29   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, please do not turn this into another apple bashing thread.

I think BD has been given enough information about how to reset his iPhone and this thread needs to be closed now.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Closed Thread - Issue with the phone reportedly resolved.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks