Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 01:24   #1
BHPian

A monitor Issue

Upgraded the desktops monitor over a month ago and noticed background banding happening with three t-bhp banners. The tires on two of them do not exhibit any details and seem to have a lack of contrast. Similar lack of contrast & slight de-saturation is noticeable in duller parts of some other pictures and pics from a digital camera, making them look un-natural. These issues are not noticeable when the CPU connected to the older LCD or the TV panel.

The monitor is connected to the CPU with the VGA cable, using a DVI cable doesn't change the characteristics much.

Currently I've got a replacement(issue logged in as backlight bleeding), but that hasn't solved the problem. Need to find out the exact cause of the problem as the manufacturer does not believe this is a problem and their support policy doesn't allow them to send an engineer down.

Could anyone help
Attached Thumbnails
A monitor Issue-img_0272.jpg  

A monitor Issue-img_0273.jpg  

A monitor Issue-img_0274.jpg  

Old 7th October 2010, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Which monitor ? Did you try playing around with different contrast / brightness and other settings ?
Old 7th October 2010, 20:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm View Post
Which monitor ? Did you try playing around with different contrast / brightness and other settings ?
Its a Dell UltraSharp U2311H. Yes, tried everything. Have reset the settings and tried multiple times as well. The attached pictures were at Brightness-30 and Contrast 62.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Its a Dell UltraSharp U2311H. Yes, tried everything. Have reset the settings and tried multiple times as well. The attached pictures were at Brightness-30 and Contrast 62.
Check and update video card drivers.
better you remove the default monitor from device manager, reboot the machine and install a fresh monitor driver or let windows find one for you.

check if replacing vga cable helps

DVI interface will certainly be better than a 15pin d-sub cable but on a few motherboards/graphics card you'll need to select DVI-D as default output.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Check and update video card drivers.
better you remove the default monitor from device manager, reboot the machine and install a fresh monitor driver or let windows find one for you.
Have already done that. In fact, if the driver from the monitor disc is installed the display turns worse with everything, specially while using photoshop, hence using it in plug an play mode. The first monitor displayed tons of dithering, very coarse tonal gradation of dark areas, the replacement doesn't better on that front but it still has this issue.

Quote:
check if replacing vga cable helps
Have tried that already, didn't help.

Quote:
DVI interface will certainly be better than a 15pin d-sub cable but on a few motherboards/graphics card you'll need to select DVI-D as default output.
Have cross checked with multiple CPUs. Have tried the display over DVI with a Vaio desktop and another one. The problem was almost the same...

It happens only with certain dull/dim parts of the pics, like here. Bright pics are perfect. A silhouette pic has a greenish-brown tint to it the dark part, while the black parts of other pics are perfect; at the same time the silhouette pic looks fine when viewed on other systems or when printed.
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:33   #6
BANNED

There is a setting called auto-adjusting contrast with certain monitors. Check whether that setting is ON.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: A monitor Issue

Didn't want to start a new thread, hence posting it here.

I have a Samsung B2030 monitor bought in Nov last year. Of late I have started to notice horizontal bands which flicker across the monitor rapidly. It is more apparent when the back ground display is of same color. Can someone tell me what the problem is? My comp has no graphic card installed. Monitor is connected using a VGA cable.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:17   #8
BHPian

What resolution and aspect ratio is the graphics card output set to?
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
What resolution and aspect ratio is the graphics card output set to?
Aspect ratio : Full screen

Res : 1600*900
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:16   #10
BHPian

If that's the resolution of the monitor (I suspect it is) it is either visible display blanking or an intermittent contact/bad cable.

You can try setting the refresh rate higher (or lower) than the current setting and see if it makes any difference. A cable change might also help.

Beyond that the RGB circuitry in the monitor may be going bad and the monitor might need replacing. If it is warranty, I would suggest seeking a replacement.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

can you post the images. ?

BTW its still under warranty and samsung has on site service.i suggest you lock the call.
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
If that's the resolution of the monitor (I suspect it is) it is either visible display blanking or an intermittent contact/bad cable.

You can try setting the refresh rate higher (or lower) than the current setting and see if it makes any difference. A cable change might also help.

Beyond that the RGB circuitry in the monitor may be going bad and the monitor might need replacing. If it is warranty, I would suggest seeking a replacement.
The refresh rate is 60Hz, can't use other refresh rates as I get an error message saying 'not optimal mode'.

I just removed the cable, cleaned them using a brush and a blower and plugged it back in. No luck.

Circuitry going bad within 10 months ? Hope not .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
can you post the images. ?

BTW its still under warranty and samsung has on site service.i suggest you lock the call.
I thought I would post a pic for reference or record a video. But the bands are erratic . It appears 8/10 times. Next time the band shows up, I will record the image/video.

I will take my monitor to my cousin's place and plug into his comp and inspect.If nothing works fine, its a tussle with the Samsung Service centre. Incidentally, he has 2 monitors of the same model. One monitor older than mine by 4 months and one bought around 3 months back. Both work fine.

Would installing a graphic card/ using a DVI cable instead of VGA cable solve the problem?
Old 27th September 2011, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
The refresh rate is 60Hz, can't use other refresh rates as I get an error message saying 'not optimal mode'.

I just removed the cable, cleaned them using a brush and a blower and plugged it back in. No luck.

Circuitry going bad within 10 months ? Hope not .

I thought I would post a pic for reference or record a video. But the bands are erratic . It appears 8/10 times. Next time the band shows up, I will record the image/video.

I will take my monitor to my cousin's place and plug into his comp and inspect.If nothing works fine, its a tussle with the Samsung Service centre. Incidentally, he has 2 monitors of the same model. One monitor older than mine by 4 months and one bought around 3 months back. Both work fine.

Would installing a graphic card/ using a DVI cable instead of VGA cable solve the problem?
I exchanged my monitor with my cousin and plugged his monitor to my computer. Still the same, problem ain't resolved. My cousin plugged my monitor to his comp and says it works fine. So, that rules out the possibility of monitor defect.The only other source I can think of is something wrong with the Smps/mother board or from the main power supply itself (TV/computer connected to the same spike buster). Is my diagnosis correct? Any other possible source of problem? Please help!
Old 29th September 2011, 18:02   #14
BHPian

The problem is probably not from the SMPS and you probably don't have to replace the entire motherboard. Instead, try another graphic card attached to your motherboard.

BTW, which ISP do you use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks