Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 16:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!

Hi, started this new thread on all Nokia Communicator discussions and related stuff. I feel the various models of the communicator viz the 9000, 9110, 9210 9500 E90 and the newest E7 have a great fan following thereby a separate thread. If mods feel otherwise they may kindly shift it to the appropriate section/thread where this will not get lost.

Communicators made life easier for people on the job. Connectivity on the move was the new Mantra. As simple phones became computers their size stared decreasing, the functions started increasing and they could now do almost a host of things that we would require many different and bulky machines to carry out. Also all this could be done on the move and on the job.

Cellular phones were now not just phones, they had taken many functions viz; organizer, telephone book, pc/laptop, modem, fax machine, bar code reader, scanner, camera, video camera, sound recorder, video player, internet browser, etc etc etc, the list is endless all this plus making and receiving phone calls.

I have been a communicator user from the last say 10-11 years, ever since the 9210 was introduced and have been loyal to the brand and have kept upgrading ever since. There exists a huge number of people who are like me. So when the new communicator was announced as to be sold almost since last many months, i have been itching to get my hands on it.

Finally i was told that two days ago the new communicator by Nokia, the mighty E7 was finally released. My E90 was aging but what a sturdy phone that was. So far the best of all the Communicator series. Rugged tough and works under all conditions. I got a call from the Nokia Gallery that the phone would be arriving and the day before yesterday i.e. on the 15th they called to tell me the E7 was available. Surprisingly, it was not available in all the Nokia stores but a select few. Who cares, yesterday, i got mine. Its a Dark Gray, almost Black colour (the other choice being a silver one) and i spent a good one hour at the gallery syncing my new E7 with the E90.

Its too early to give out the report card here as i am still understanding the features of the phone but i can give you a preview of it. Some pics which i have clicked with my BB, not doing justice to the phone but still.

The phone comes with a host of features which im sure most of you know by now and which i will elaborate as i start using them.

The first impression is that the phone is really sleek to see and hold, it looks and feels a lot like the IPhone4 and looks very similar to the N8 its actually a bit bigger but thats because it all comes down to the 4" screen of the E7 which makes it bigger. It use the Symbian Three software which is well known and has a host of benefits to those who have been using this technology.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-hand.jpg

It does comes with 16GB of built in memory (not expandable) and, like the iPhone 4, has a slide out tray that houses a SIM card only one does not need to crop the sim as in the IPhone4. I dont know if it hangs but if it does, then i guess a simple switch on and off would have to do rather than the hard rebooting of older devices by removing the battery and inserting it again. This is just not possible here. Just below, is the Volume rocker key which also doubles as a Zoom key/button. Even the slider lock switch/key on the other side gives a high quality feel but i guess time will really tell.
There is no removable battery, and no external storage card slot, no auto focus camera and no FM transmitter but that would be because of the design constraints to make the phone as sleek and thin as possible, If one would have added more hardware to this already packed phone, it would result in a probably more thicker product.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-side1.jpg

The Nokia E7 possesses fantastic hardware. It is housed in an all aluminum anodized (N8 type) casing that feels great in your hand but a tad bit slippery, just like the previous Iphones. Guess Nokia is looking for people to get addicted to them and then drop them, sending them to the stores to get another one
I also doubt a cover will be available for it though a silicon skin with a grip on the sides would be very appropriate for people with Butter Finger Syndrome. It would be an expensive proposition if dropped.

Build quality feels superb. It is sleek and at the same time a bit chunky. Much has been said about its difficult to open hinge mechanism but if you get the hang of its, its a cinch. Simply hold it horizontally and press with your thumb/s, the bottom center portion of the casing, just below the screen a bit and slide upwards, its just that easy. If you try to pry it open in any other way, it gets more and more difficult. The hinge feels really strong and it should be. Its robust and made of steel. The E90's was a really long lasting built to quality hinge mechanism and this feels as solid and will be im sure, sturdier.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-hinge.jpg
The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-hinge1.jpg

The Nokia E7 is charged via a regular Micro USB port, which is similar to the Black Berry so that means you dont need two chargers if also using a BB (someone like me). Any one charger (either the Nokia's or the BB's will charge both your phones) It also has a standard headphone jack and an HDMI-Out port, concealed by a openable tab. Also supplied are the relevant cables

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-cables.jpg

The E7 in Nokia's words '"Has a 4 inch AMOLED 'Clear-Black' hardened glass, capacitive touchscreen display, which offers superior visibility in direct sunlight". Yes it does. It is definitely easier to see in direct sunlight than most phones i have known, even the IPhone4.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-palm.jpg

Its most impressive feature is its concealed keyboard. In fact its one of the best and easy to use Qwerty key boards ever. Typing is really easy and smooth on the rubber keys. (Sony Experia please learn something). Each key is separate and well defined and its not easy to press another key accidentally. It is the most ergonomical keyboard i have used on a phone.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-opening.jpg

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-open.jpg

Coming to the camera again, much is said about the N8's 12MP camera but i think the 8 Mp suffices. My point and shoot Sony camera is a 7.2 mp and mind you this is not a professional picture taking device. How many cameras we know of also double as a phone? The E7 comes with a 8MP camera with dual LED flash. The E7 uses the EDOF (Extended Depth of Field) technology which means that the camera is neither fixed focus nor auto focus. Edof replaces an auto focus mechanism with a custom lens, this means the pictures taken remain in focus all the time. Edof is used to make the phone thinner so i guess thats why Nokia have compromised in the MP...not really 8mp is really good enough for anyone this side of a National Geographics photographer or maybe someone shooting for Mr. Mallaya's Calender Pin up girls.

The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!-e7-back.jpg

Then there is the HDMI output, USB On-The-Go to conect directly to a flash drive, Dolby Digital sound, and a really clear external speaker. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI adapter included in box as shown above in the pictures, which allows you to plug the E7 to be directly into any TV which allows it. If its an HD ready TV, even better. I was explained the functions of the phone by a very enthusiastic and helpful sales staff who also gave me a demo of the excellent audio and video. The 3.5mm audio jack which can also b used as a TV out but in standard resolutions.

It comes loaded with a host of software and applications etc but im sure you all know about that.

I would sum up the E7 as a Hybrid device with the best of both Flip screen and Qwerty keypad usages. It stands out in its form from other devices available and promises to be an excellent quality business device.

Software gurus, please take over.

PS: It is available for Rs. 29,999/- against the printed retail price of Rs.35,019/- inclusive of all taxes. My guy gave it to me for Rs. 28,500/- and i paid Rs. 300/- for a anti scratch screen protector so in all it cost 28,800/- including the pad, still less than 29,999/-.

Last edited by V-16 : 17th March 2011 at 16:44. Reason: aadding.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 16:44   #2
BHPian

Re: The Nokia Communicator Thread. The E7 Is Here!!

Thats the one I've been waiting for a long time to replace my ageing E71, but I'll have to wait for few more weeks so that its more affordable to me. Only thing I think should have been part of E7 is a xenon flash, ofcourse Nokia never puts all good things in a single device.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thanks V16 uncle, I am show this review to my wife.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Alas some features have had to be compromised. In fact i have never ever used the FM transmitter on the E90 that i had. Ill be posting my experiences as i continue to use this device for the benefit of others and will expect a lot of input from those who have already or are in the process of getting this phone.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The specs are too good. How is the software experience and responsiveness?
Old 17th March 2011, 17:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Thanks V16 uncle, I am show this review to my wife.
You are welcomed mostly beta.....aawayjj!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The specs are too good. How is the software experience and responsiveness?

So far so good. haven't got time to use it extensively, nor read through about the features nor browse on it as yet, 31st march setting in and meetings happening all day long, maybe in a few days ill get down to it. By then there will be reviews from others....i hope!!
Old 17th March 2011, 17:52   #7
BHPian

I personally dont know how the software performs or the flexibility that this version of Symbian would provide . The only thing that Nokia needs to work on now is the form factor of the phones . The hardware design is soo old . Somehow if you look at the likes of HTC and Samsung (especially Samsung ) , iphone . Although they have matching features but they are sleek and appealing . The nokia N8 looked so bulky and this phone has almost the same for factor , only bigger than the N8 .

They really need to start working on designing something that would look like its worth all the money spent .

Android gives you so much flexibility , most of all , most of the stuff for android is free . The Iphone 4 unless jail broken doesnt offer much flexibility .

The menu , from what I've seen on the reviews on you tube looks the same , the same like it used to be on the older nokia phones . I feel todays generation yearns for something new . New , cheap and flexible . This phone is relatively new , not cheap by any standards and flexible , only time will tell .

Plus the app market for Nokia , havent heard of it much . Hope this does well and gives Nokia the much needed boost .
Old 17th March 2011, 18:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I personally dont know how the software performs or the flexibility that this version of Symbian would provide . The only thing that Nokia needs to work on now is the form factor of the phones . The hardware design is soo old . Somehow if you look at the likes of HTC and Samsung (especially Samsung ) , iphone . Although they have matching features but they are sleek and appealing . The nokia N8 looked so bulky and this phone has almost the same for factor , only bigger than the N8 .

They really need to start working on designing something that would look like its worth all the money spent .

Android gives you so much flexibility , most of all , most of the stuff for android is free . The Iphone 4 unless jail broken doesnt offer much flexibility .

The menu , from what I've seen on the reviews on you tube looks the same , the same like it used to be on the older nokia phones . I feel todays generation yearns for something new . New , cheap and flexible . This phone is relatively new , not cheap by any standards and flexible , only time will tell .

Plus the app market for Nokia , havent heard of it much . Hope this does well and gives Nokia the much needed boost .

I second your thoughts, I had been a communicator user since they were introduced. However the definition of a smartphone / communicator has really changed after the Android phones made their appearance.

The phone is as smart as the applications that run on it. Also Nokia announced yesterday that the Symbian OS is now end of life and that they will phase it out within the next two years.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:26   #9
BHPian

Bought it in Singapore last week for Rs. 32k

Should have just waited for the India launch.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your new purchase! Looks like you are really happy with it.

However, i find it an extremely overpriced device compared to the competition.

1. What does it really offer more, compared to the N8, to cost an additional 6k? Qwerty keypad for sure doesnt warrant such a price increase?

2. Nokia has confirmed that the platform is going to be phased out in 2 years. That means, no one is going to care about the platform now. Some mainstream applications already does not come with support for Symbian.

3. Fixed focus camera (EDOF) or whatever Nokia calls it, is absolute ridiculous in a phone costing 30k! Not to mention the lack of Xenon flash. True that not everyone buys a phone for the camera. But, when spending an additional 6k compared to the N8, you except better, or atleast same specifications.

Downgrading from 12 MP -> 8MP, Carl Zeiss -> Normal, Auto focus -> Fixed focus, Xenon flash -> LED flash is a huge downgrade, and i dont see Nokia improving specs elsewhere to justify such a downgrade (Specially considering the additional 6k you pay for it).

* I had a similar post in the mobiles phones thread two days, but posting here as this is a better place to discuss!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th March 2011 at 20:15.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a N8. And running symbian which will mostly have the least updates going forward with the introduction of WIndows 7 and Nokia.

I wouldnt waste money on this phone knowing Nokia is going the windows way.

I rather pick a blackberry phone for messaging and mails.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ V16: Congrats.I have a N8, I prefer the double click and single click of symbian 2 to just the single click alone of symbian 3, eg if you want to add a phone number to contact's: single click starts making a call and difficult to delete the number that you may not require from the phone. Also difficult to delete bookmarks too. I have to figure out about a way to get around this. V16 if you have an answer let me know.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:25   #13
BHPian

Being a N8 and Nokia user from the very first handset i feel sad at the way the company is heading. They are offering outdated technology and still asking for a premium price.

I believe there are better products in the market in the 28,000 range by Samsung, HTC etc.

The new offering to me seems more like a N8 downgrade with a keypad and yet priced more.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Bought it in Singapore last week for Rs. 32k .
I saw it there for Sing $900 a week or 2 ago but since it was going to be for my wife and she was not with me I figured let her test it herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. What does it really offer more, compared to the N8
3. Fixed focus camera (EDOF) or whatever Nokia calls it, is absolute ridiculous in a phone costing 30k!
Downgrading from 12 MP -> 8MP, Carl Zeiss -> Normal, Auto focus -> Fixed focus, Xenon flash -> LED flash is a huge downgrade, and i dont see Nokia improving specs
The E7 is not a camera phone like the N8. It is a business phone that happens to have a camera for stuff like skype, emergency photos, etc..

I am not making excuses for Nokia. Their products are overpriced and damn they should have moved to another OS before announcing publically that Symbian will be phased out in 2 years but dont expect the E7 to do what the N8 can and vice versa. Ofcourse both phones will make calls, send SMS, etc.. and similarly both have a camera they are just not targetted at the same audience.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

V - 16 : congrats on your new phone. Enjoy the moment.

When it comes to smartphones software and usability, Nokia really hasn't got a clue. Symbian is a dead and incapable platform. Lets see how their Win7 phones fare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks