Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 20:28   #31
BHPian

Re: IMP Excel sheet got corrupted. Any possibility of recovering data?

try this, might probably work :
1. Open excel application
2. Click on Office and Open -> you would get a dialog box where you can browse to place where you have saved the file
3. Single click on the file and at the bottom there is open button and next to that there is an arrow
4. Click the arrow and select "open and repair" option.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Highly unlikely to work, cos the older version was overwritten by the new version, after it was worked upon for 3 hours.

Remember, data recovery software work only when those sectors which are to be recovered are not overwritten by data. If we run the data recovery utility now, all we would get is the corrupt file. My take on this.

@Rush: If Autorecover option is enabled, MS Excel should have saved a backup every 10 minutes, by default. Check for any stray xl sheets in the "Application Data\Microsoft\Excel" path in the C drive. This path differs from OS to OS, check what it is for XP and look for any files there.
Not necessarily. Usually the data storage algorithms of Microsoft Operating Systems are archaic. They do not reuse freed up clusters readily. If space is available for a sequential disposition, then data will be written onwards, disregarding the free space. Even later, when the disk is relatively full, it does not judge the best possible location of the data clusters, but again starts allocating from the starting sector in sequence, looking for whatever available free space. Result = High Fragmentation. Anyways, this is Off Topic.
It is quite possible that the data buffer was written to a separate part of the disk, than the original file. This is not a guaranteed approach, but one that might work.
Also, remember that it is possible to even retrieve over-written data sectors from Windows disks, since the Deletion algorithms are not as effective. :-))That's why Windows does not meet the DoD standards, out of the box.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:48   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Just an update : I've created a new excel sheet and managed to re-enter all the older data (admittedly, it wasn't easy). Also, my excel has now changed the default store method as .xls. Somehow, all these corruption problems have only come up from the time I upgraded to Office 2007 / .xlsx extensions. Made a couple of changes to my backup strategy as well.

I wanted to put in a sincere Thank You to all of you. Your help & support is much appreciated & respected.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hope your Office 2007 installation has SP2 and all the newer updates too. I remember having a corruption problem a while back with xlsx, but have not faced it in Office 2010 so far.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Excel 2010 Help!

Just installed Office 2010. Now when I open any of my excel sheets and do a Ctrl-C Ctrl-V, the destination cell only displays the content of the source cell without copying the formula! I've looked up all the settings, all cells are set to "General" and not "Text". Under the Options>Formulas> Automatic is selected. In fact even if I right-click to paste, there is no option saying "Paste". There's a "Paste Options" under which one can only select "Text". And there's a "Paste Special" which takes you to a box which only gives you the option of pasting as Unicode Text or Text. I have attached screengrabs. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong here?

PS I'm working on an Excel 2003 file in compatibility mode. But that shouldn't mean they've thrown out formula compatibility with older versions I suppose!

Microsoft Excel : Tips, Issues, Etc.-excel-1.jpg

Microsoft Excel : Tips, Issues, Etc.-excel-2.jpg
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:57   #36
BHPian

Re: Excel 2010 Help!

• To paste formulas only, click Formulas.
Note If the copied formulas contain relative cell references, Excel adjusts the references (and the relative parts of mixed cell references) in the duplicate formulas. For example, suppose that cell B8 contains the formula =SUM(B1:B7). If you copy the formula to cell C8, the duplicate formula refers to the corresponding cells in that column: =SUM(C1:C7). If the copied formulas contain absolute cell references (absolute cell reference: In a formula, the exact address of a cell, regardless of the position of the cell that contains the formula. An absolute cell reference takes the form $A$1.), the references in the duplicate formulas are not changed. If you don't get the results that you want, you can also change the references in the original formulas to either relative or absolute cell references and then recopy the cells.

Move or copy cells and cell contents - Excel - Office.com

P.S : I have not worked on Excel 2010
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Press F2 of the source cell and copy the formula!

Office 2010 has some protection feature somewhere that always bugs me. You'll have to disable those options or go back to Office 2007 like I did!
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the help, but the above things weren't the issue.

Some googling led me to this page -> Solved: Excel 2010, Word 2010 & PowerPoint 2010 - Paste only - Microsoft Answers

The last suggestion on the page is what worked. I have disabled skype plugins on IE and Chrome and now Excel is working just as intended. Nothing short of ridiculous!

Posting a new screenshot.

Microsoft Excel : Tips, Issues, Etc.-excel-3.jpg

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 23rd March 2012 at 18:19.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:27   #39
Team-BHP Support

This is just really funny. I wonder what is up with Microsoft these days. Good to know you sorted it out Ajay.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:33   #40
BHPian

Best Microsoft Excel Training Institutes in Gurgaon

Which are the good Microsoft Excel coaching centers in Gurgaon? I want to attend Microsoft Excel coaching classes in Gurgaon, Please tell be good Microsoft Excel training institutes which are providing Microsoft Excel Courses in Gurgaon

Thanks

Amit
Old 29th August 2012, 23:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Microsoft Excel Training Institutes in Gurgaon

Hey Amit,

Not really sure what Excel coaching centers teach but I'll tell you this: Excel isn't hard to master - I don't think you'll need to attend classes.

My suggestion would be to buy Excel, watch videos on youtube (Like this one for example: ) and experiment yourself - that's the only way you'll learn. Besides, you won't have to pay for lessons!

Good luck!
Old 14th May 2015, 12:03   #42
BHPian

Re: Microsoft Excel : Tips, Issues, Etc.

Need some tips to go about resolving this issue. My colleague need some help to ease his copy-calculate-paste job to simple copy-paste.

The idea is to add contents of Cell B2 with C2 and store in B2. Similarly for the rows below. It brings about a circular reference; so would need some Macros/coding for it to work.

Name:  Sheet1.png
Views: 587
Size:  5.4 KB

This sheet populates a dashboard (not included in the sample file); data is updated in this sheet daily.

So Each day; he would like to open the Excel; repopulate only Column C marked as "Yesterday" and the "Till date" value would be up to date.
Sample excel sheet: Sample.xlsx

I just know a few excel formulas; never really ventured into Macros; so need some help. Thanks!
Old 14th May 2015, 12:23   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Need some tips to go about resolving this issue. My colleague need some help to ease his copy-calculate-paste job to simple copy-paste.

Here is the code! It Adds B & C Column and Updates column B. Not sure if it should leave the column C as is or need to do something with it

Just add the below code to VBA module and run manually or assign it to an object. Let me know if you face any issues.

Quote:
Sub M()
For i = 3 To 100
If Range("B" & i).Value = "" Then Exit For

x = WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("B" & i), Range("C" & i))
Range("B" & i) = x
Next
End
End Sub
Old 14th May 2015, 13:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Just add the below code to VBA module and run manually or assign it to an object. Let me know if you face any issues.
Thanks a ton!!
That works beautifully...
Old 15th April 2016, 00:08   #45
BHPian

Hi guys, Would really appreciate your help.

Need a formula / function that reads the entire row and displays particular text / value in case the row contains a certain word.

For instance :

Row indicates : House is big : If row contains the word "House", then display "Good"

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks