Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 16:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car - Wagon R LXI Green (CNG)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Which other car in CNG fits the bill other than Wagon R?
If a spacious car is not a must, then Alto 800 is also a good option. It has 2 CNG variants [LX and LXI] in it's line up, is almost 1 lakh cheaper than the Wagon R and will be economical even if you switch it to Petrol mode for a while.

A friend recently bought it, and is quite satisfied with it till date. He stays in Kothrud, and says that it takes him approx 20 mins to fill up at the Warje CNG pump if he goes close to the pump's opening or closing time.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:26   #32
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

My comments:
1/ Would wish to keep the car(new) for long. Dnt prefer to buy 2nd hand.
2/ Nano, Alto 800 are ruled out (my wife doesn't like them..cnt help :B). We have TD Alto 800, Eon, Alto K10, Wagon R VXItill date.
3/ Guess, Hyundai doesn't have factory fitted CNG options.
4/ Do the base model of Diesel cars compare well with the available CNG cars in contention in terms of features?
5/ If I have to go with the CNG option, my biggest worry currently are the long queues for CNG as I dnt have the patience to stand in queues for more than 15-20 min. I may end up running the car on petrol. My only hope is that there will be more options opening up for Pune'ris very soon.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...amenity-spaces
Old 1st April 2013, 16:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

My comments:

5/ If I have to go with the CNG option, my biggest worry currently are the long queues for CNG as I dnt have the patience to stand in queues for more than 15-20 min. I may end up running the car on petrol. My only hope is that there will be more options opening up for Pune'ris very soon.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...amenity-spaces
Nitin even I had zeroed in on Wagon-R CNG as it has the best combination: affordable, spacious, easy to maintain and most important of all: FUEL EFFICIENT.
However the detriment to this plan was the long queues!
I just hate to wait in lines and in a line dominated by taxis and school vans, I would rather wait for more pumps to open up.
Sadly, there are no concrete plans for expanding the pumps and even if they do plan, the sheer movers to CNG will increase making the move of creating excess supply and reducing queues redundant!
If you can wait for some time(as per discussions on Team-BHP and not anywhere else ), Nano with a host of improved features will arrive.
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 18:45   #34
BHPian

@turbo, I agree. This is the biggest dampener for me for CNG. I stay in Shivtirth Nagar. I spoke to a guy owning a CNG WR who said that there is a new CNG online pump planned near Kothrud depot. Need to go there n verify. If that is the case then this is very favourable for me as I stay very nearby(1.5 kms). Can use my idle time on weekends to refill. Other options: 1/Use the pump in Shivajinagar which is enroute to my office. 2/ Use the warje pump as suggested here.
nitinhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:24   #35
ADH

Re: Wagon R LXI CNG Vs Wagon R VXI + CNG Kit

Hello Gurus. Please give some URGENT expert opinion regarding buying a Used car which has CNG Retrofitted. The Seller claims that the car is 2010 model Wagon R , and with a sequential CNG kit (Prince) retro fitted in Aug 2012 (one year back). He further claims that it cost him around 60k to fit the CNG kit however the LOADING on Insurance is @ Rs 44K approx. I have no knowledge about CNG technology and carry a perception that retrofitted CNG vehicles have much less engine lives than non CNG vehicles??? In this case what would be your best prognosis of 'Damage' to the Engine so far, and the 'expected Future Life' of the vehicle, due to the retro fitment. The seller claims that the vehicle has only run 20,000 km in total. Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 22:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
Hello Gurus. Please give some URGENT expert opinion regarding buying a Used car which has CNG Retrofitted. The Seller claims that the car is 2010 model Wagon R , and with a sequential CNG kit (Prince) retro fitted in Aug 2012 (one year back). He further claims that it cost him around 60k to fit the CNG kit however the LOADING on Insurance is @ Rs 44K approx. I have no knowledge about CNG technology and carry a perception that retrofitted CNG vehicles have much less engine lives than non CNG vehicles??? In this case what would be your best prognosis of 'Damage' to the Engine so far, and the 'expected Future Life' of the vehicle, due to the retro fitment. The seller claims that the vehicle has only run 20,000 km in total. Thanks
I am not a guru, but have been driving a Wagon R with a retrofitted CNG kit for 5 years now. Driven over 75,000 kms on CNG and the engine is as good as it should be. On CNG cars, the air filter needs frequent cleaning and changes (once every 3 months should be enough), the fuel injector and throttle body should be cleaned once every 6 months, the spark plugs may need to be upgraded and replaced every 20,000 kms. Some retrofitters may even recommend strengthening the rear suspension. That's about it and natural gas does not even leave any deposits during combustion. Hope this helps.
Old 25th August 2013, 22:54   #37

Quote:
I am not a guru, but have been driving a Wagon R with a retrofitted CNG kit for 5 years now. Driven over 75,000 kms on CNG and the engine is as good as it should be. On CNG cars, the air filter needs frequent cleaning and changes (once every 3 months should be enough), the fuel injector and throttle body should be cleaned once every 6 months, the spark plugs may need to be upgraded and replaced every 20,000 kms. Some retrofitters may even recommend strengthening the rear suspension. That's about it and natural gas does not even leave any deposits during combustion. Hope this helps.
Coupé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 22:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gurus. Please give some URGENT expert opinion regarding buying a Used car which has CNG Retrofitted.
Purely speaking in theoretical terms, an engine running on petrol will have a longer shelf life in comparison to an engine retrofitted with a CNG kit. Most modern CNG kits are however, quite sturdy and do not demand constant attention. Also, most users sell their retrofitted cars anyway long before the possible damages due to CNG fitment might show their ugly head.

All in all, there is not much to worry about the fitment, as long as it's been done at an authorized shop with proper tools and has been carried out properly. Regarding the costs involved, kindly check with BHPians who have got the same done to their cars. Regarding resale values, dual-fueled cars typically command higher values than their petrol counterparts at the used car market; check for the same in your city.

Last edited by mohitk1993 : 7th October 2013 at 22:55.
mohitk1993 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed