Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 09:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Polo 1.2 or Polo 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Why should the FE on a 1.2 be better than the 1.6? The FE on both will depend on the driving style, logically the 1.6 should give a better FE if driven for FE & not performance, of course the 1.2 will have no performance issues
No the 1.6 will have more weight
More reciprocating parts in engine and thereby more engine friction.
Generally with 4 cyl Fe will be less specially in city traffic. 3 cyl save more fuel. Think of it as cyl de activation.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Is that true?. If so, what segment is VW aiming with the 1.2?
No idea! All big mag reviews mentioned that the 1.6 has better fuel efficiency than the 1.2. Its quite possible actually - the 1.6 has more torque lower down than the 1.2. The latter must be revved hard to extract any kind of performance which obviously affects its fuel efficiency.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:21   #18
BHPian

The 1.6 Polo returns 10 Kmpl with 100% city driving with the A/C on. The Mileage is improving every 1000 Kms. Mine has done just 4k Kms so far. I would suggest you get the 1.6 as 40k is not going to make a difference considering you have a 320 and civic in the garage.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
No idea! All big mag reviews mentioned that the 1.6 has better fuel efficiency than the 1.2. Its quite possible actually - the 1.6 has more torque lower down than the 1.2. The latter must be revved hard to extract any kind of performance which obviously affects its fuel efficiency.
If that was true, there would have been more 1.6 Polos on the roads. At 40K more, its almost a no-brainer. But I cannot digest the "fact" that a 1.6 outdoes the 1.2 in FE. It just can't be. Even if the 1.6 has better low end torque, that difference will certainly not offset the higher FE which the 1.2 will give with 3 cylinder motor that has 400 cc lesser output.

My guess is the 1.2 will return 12-13kpl in a place like Mumbai where one can expect 9-10kpl in a 1.6.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 15th June 2011 at 11:34.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^The reason there aren't too many is that the 1.6 is sold only in the highline trim. The 1.6 is not available in the cheaper base and mid variants. Those are 1.2 only and most polos sold are one of those.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
If that was true, there would have been more 1.6 Polos on the roads. At 40K more, its almost a no-brainer. But I cannot digest the "fact" that a 1.6 outdoes the 1.2 in FE. It just can't be. Even if the 1.6 has better low end torque, that difference will certainly not offset the higher FE which the 1.2 will give with 3 cylinder motor that has 400 cc lesser output.

My guess is the 1.2 will return 12-13kpl in a place like Mumbai where one can expect 9-10kpl in a 1.6.
Quote:
Quote:
^^The reason there aren't too many is that the 1.6 is sold only in the highline trim. The 1.6 is not available in the cheaper base and mid variants. Those are 1.2 only and most polos sold are one of those.
When I TD'd the 1.6, i noticed the MID showing an FE of 11.7 km/l; I don't remember what the 1.2 read since I had driven it couple of weeks earlier. Even the dealer chaps told me that the 1.6 would give me about 12 in the city and the 1.2 about 14.

As for the decision... there was some game changing news just yesterday about Honda dropping prices by 40-60k... so I thought of re-looking at the Jazz and put off the decision by a day & thought about it. I felt the Jazz ditto like the NHC (dolphin? shape its called i believe!) - sans the boot. Having owned one till earlier this year, didn't want the same thing again!

so I guess it's going to be the Polo 1.6 after all
Old 15th June 2011, 15:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddo View Post
When I TD'd the 1.6, i noticed the MID showing an FE of 11.7 km/l; I don't remember what the 1.2 read since I had driven it couple of weeks earlier. Even the dealer chaps told me that the 1.6 would give me about 12 in the city and the 1.2 about 14.

As for the decision... there was some game changing news just yesterday about Honda dropping prices by 40-60k... so I thought of re-looking at the Jazz and put off the decision by a day & thought about it. I felt the Jazz ditto like the NHC (dolphin? shape its called i believe!) - sans the boot. Having owned one till earlier this year, didn't want the same thing again!

so I guess it's going to be the Polo 1.6 after all
On another thread, there are rumours about the 1.5 TDi engine making its way in the Polo. That might be worth waiting for if its true. Here is the link to that.
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/volksw...-polo-1-5-tdi/

12 kpl in the city is too optimistic. Anyways, anything close to 10 with a 1.6L engine is decent.

The 40-60K discount is currently offered only on the City. The Jazz hasn't been discounted yet; though that might be round the corner considering Honda's current dismal sales.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 15th June 2011 at 15:59.
Old 15th June 2011, 17:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

1.2 meets your primary requirement.

But looking at your posts later it is clear that 1.6 is the one, How about red hot 1.6? :-)
Old 15th June 2011, 21:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you want a piddly 3-pot engine when you can have a 104 BHP monster under the hood? At 40K difference (is that all it is?) it's a steal!

Go for the 1.6- am sure it'll garner the same cachet as a Palio 1.6 in a few years. You can always resell it to an enthusiast via T-BHP!
Old 15th June 2011, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

I own a Polo 1.2. But now I think I could have gone for the 1.6. I had bought my Polo before the 1.6 was launched and had an option of waiting for it but since I had already waited 4 months for my car , I couldn't risk waiting for another 2 months specially when the SE couldn't promise a delivery date. And besides, there were no reviews on the 1.6 at that time, so I had no idea what the FE and performance would be like.

Now after going through the reviews, I have seen that the 1.6 gives almost as good FE as the 1.2. In fact, my 1.2 hasn't given me above 11kpl ever! My driving is mostly in the city and at times in choc-a-block traffic. Polo 1.6 owners report a FE of 10kpl in the city and that is what even I get.

The 1.2 is a good performer among st the 1.2 engines int he market. It's quite peppy too but I'd still choose a 1.6 over the 1.2 for the following reasons:
1. Much more refined motor
2. Less noise form the engine (the 1.2 gets very noisy after 4000 rpm)
3. Less vibrations (at idle, the 1.2 3-pot has little vibrations if carefully observed)
4. Good performance
5. Similar FE as the 1.2 (when not driven too enthusiastically )
6. Just a 40k price difference!

In my opinion, go for the 1.6 But you could wait for a few more weeks cuz we hear the Highline would get additional features like bluetooth, steering mounted controls, parking sensors and USB/AUX port. But that would also increase the price by some amount.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

In my opinion, go for the 1.6 But you could wait for a few more weeks cuz we hear the Highline would get additional features like bluetooth, steering mounted controls, parking sensors and USB/AUX port. But that would also increase the price by some amount.
Is this confirmed?! I was hoping to finalize and get the car tomorrow, but if this is confirmed news and within the "couple of weeks" timeline... i'll wait for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
1. Much more refined motor
2. Less noise form the engine (the 1.2 gets very noisy after 4000 rpm)
3. Less vibrations (at idle, the 1.2 3-pot has little vibrations if carefully observed)
These are EXACTLY the stuff I was feeling were a compromise if i took the 1.2.
also #3 - the vibrations didn't require 'careful observation'! it was quite prominent in the TD vehicle. specially when cranked

Last edited by zeddo : 16th June 2011 at 12:50. Reason: added reply
Old 16th June 2011, 13:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddo View Post
Is this confirmed?! I was hoping to finalize and get the car tomorrow, but if this is confirmed news and within the "couple of weeks" timeline... i'll wait for sure!
Those features are gonna be added for sure, the question is when. But for you will those really make a difference? I mean since you wont be driving it much. Why not take the present model and get a better discount.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Those features are gonna be added for sure, the question is when. But for you will those really make a difference? I mean since you wont be driving it much. Why not take the present model and get a better discount.
Yeah! I just cut a cheque for it!! Since the features are mostly related to the Music system, which I can get changed anyways if I need to. Other stuff like parking sensors, etc also are easily fitted & sometimes better aftermarket.

all said and done - VW is very tight about the 1.6 pricing - absolutely zero offer. The only thing they have running now is the 6.99% scheme and nothing for Full payment. They have an AMC of 3yrs/45k thrown in for the 1.2 but refuse to extend to 1.6 for me.
additionally I want to change the noisy Apollo Acceleres, which also in vain-will have to get it done from local tyre shop after delivery.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

How long is the waiting period for the 1.6 these days? When I went to check they said "saar 3 months waiting saar" :
Old 16th June 2011, 14:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
How long is the waiting period for the 1.6 these days? When I went to check they said "saar 3 months waiting saar" :
If I pay today, I get it tomorrow

--but no discount!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks