Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2006, 12:26   #1
BHPian

What can I get under 5.5 lakhs?

Hi,

I am Dwarak based in Hyderabad, India. I have been reading this site trying to gather information on which car to buy although this is my first post to this site. Without being able to make a decision, I have decided to introduce myself and ask the team for help.

My criteria are as follows

Price: less than 5.5 lakhs on road
Engine: Greater than 1200 cc
Seating capacity: 5(minimum)(Parents will also be travelling with me at times)
Fuel Efficiency: Atleast 10+ Kmpl
Not too particular about petrol or diesel as I travel 4-5 kms to work each way. I do plan on going out on long drives(atleast 400-500 kms) once a month. Hence driving comfort is also necessary.
Safety is also a major concern as I will be travelling with my daughter(currently 8 months old).

A vehicle that is out of contention is the Swift as my wife travelled in my friend's Swift(VXi) and she did not feel comfortable with the engine noise.

Thanks,
Dwarak

P.S. Mods, if this is the wrong thread for this, please move it to the right thread.
Old 7th February 2006, 17:07   #2
BHPian

Hi Dwarak..
In hyd the Road tax is 9%.. So that means that the Ex showroom price u can afford for any car is around 5 lakhs ( assuming insurance for 1st yr is free)..

Since u've ruled out Swift..What I can think of in your price range is :
1. Esteem
2. Fiat Palio 1.2 NV ELX
3. Tata Indica ( Petrol + Diesel)
4. Tata Indigo ( Petrol)
5. Opel Corsa 1.4 ( Lots of discounts avl)
6. Ford Ikon Josh 1.3

I guess all these cars should be able to take 5 people comfortably & would meet ur FE + Highway driving requirements...

Test drive all of them..& then make a choice...
Old 7th February 2006, 17:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moved to "What Car". Please post your queries in the appropriate section.

GTO
Old 7th February 2006, 23:27   #4
BHPian

if you can up your budget just a wee bit, you could go for the Baleno, it would be cheaper than bangalore

here it is 6.14 lakhs on road with the road tax an approx 30-40k
Old 9th February 2006, 15:12   #5
BHPian

Dwarky,

As you say you travel and I assume there would be lots of stuff to carry - Do you need boot?
If not -
1. Wagon R
2. Indica Diesel (no petrol)
3. Zen (I still consider this as a good vechicle)
4. Santro (Getz will be over buget)
5. Chevy Aveo hatchback - due in March

If boot
1. Esteem
2. Accent GLE
3. Fiest 1.4 SXi
4. Ikon Flair
5. Chevy Aveo Sedan - again March

In the second category - In CNBC autocar show this week Hormaz (editor of Autocar India) recommended Fiesta 1.4sxi petrol as the best in available lot..
Old 9th February 2006, 15:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Safety is your main criteria but no car except Swift and WagonR offers ABS and Airbags, this side of 5 lacs. Since you dont want Swift (by the way i dont find anything terribely wrong with engine refinement, as you seem to suggest), and WagonR would be too small for you (since you need to cary 5), the next best option is either Hyundai Getz or Tata Indigo Diesel (not petrol). You can try out the Tata Indica Xeta petrol as well.

Last edited by DCEite : 9th February 2006 at 15:33.
Old 9th February 2006, 15:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

All the premium hatchbacks should be with in your budget or slightly extending your budget.
Old 9th February 2006, 18:02   #8
BHPian

I dunno why Indica petrol should not be in his list shan_jp ?
It seats 5 easily, mileage is more than 10, much less noise than diesel, spacious, quite powerful for a small car as well (altho engine noise is much more than a Swift believe me, but I like it as well)

Apart from that Getz fits the bill as well(read in the paper today its 4.25 ex
showroom!!!!!) If you prefer a sedan instead of a hatch , maybe you should try out the Fiesta 1.4 (I am not sure of price though).

If I were you my choice would be (if no to Swift) :-
Getz
Indica Petrol/Xeta
Old 9th February 2006, 18:31   #9
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. My wife and me visited the TATA, Fiat, Hyundai and the Ford Showrooms. We did visit the Maruti showroom just to see what vehicles they offer within our budget. The following is our shortlist which fits our budget and meets our requirements.

Indigo Marina GLX (5.3 lakhs after 18K discount till 21/02/06)
Palio 1.6(does it give 10+Kmpl in the city?, Just in at 5.5 lakhs)
Getz GLS(5.32 after discount. Although, my choice is the GLX(alloy wheels + ABS) which goes to 5.7 after discount).
Ikon Flair(at 5.32 lakhs)

Could the gurus shed some light on the pros and cons of each vehicle. Any ideas if I should wait till chevy launches their vehicles next month to compare those too. Also, what are the tricks of bargaining that can bring the prices a lower.

Thanks,
Dwarak
Old 9th February 2006, 19:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

if you can stretch to 5.8 lacs..you could purchase the Baleno...no other car comes close to VFM in this price band.

All the cars you have listed have lower space, performance and lower FE (Assuming Marina Petrol) then the Baleno.

If you dont lik the looks...look at a Black Baleno..it is a stunner...there are quite a few pics in this forum...or go to the new Baleno website.

http://baleno.marutiudyog.com/flashindex.asp

Sorry..I am assuming that you have not given the Baleno a serious look yet...if you have and have taken it out...then out of the current cars...Indigo Marina is my choice.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 9th February 2006 at 19:06.
Old 9th February 2006, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Buffetfan: I did look at the price of the baleno lxi. It is at 6.6 lakhs OTR(varun motors , begumpet). Please let me know if are you aware of any discounts going on for this to reduce the OTR price to 5.8 lakhs.

Thanks,
Dwarak
Old 9th February 2006, 21:28   #12
BHPian

hey guys what about fusion
is that out of busget talk about its pricing and resale i have to buy anew car this march budget can go up to 5.5 otr
my problem i need to take my dog along with my family thats why i am looking upto estates but the pr0b is resale what bothers me the most but on the other hand i luv fusion and tellme more about the resale and spares and what would ford india be may be after five years

Last edited by trinadha : 9th February 2006 at 21:32.
Old 10th February 2006, 00:21   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarakv
It is at 6.6 lakhs OTR(varun motors , begumpet). Please let me know if are you aware of any discounts going on for this to reduce the OTR price to 5.8 lakhs.
yes Baleno still comes with huge discounts....
last i checked the VXi was available for the price you mention! (OTR- Delhi)
Old 10th February 2006, 00:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

at 5.5 lacs all you can do is chose between the indigo ,the getz and the swift ...

i vote for the getz
Old 10th February 2006, 00:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

a bief review on the ikon 1.3 by could do some marginal help in terms of the flair. i would definately have a look at the fusion as well, it is bloody fun to drive i tell ya'. and like someone mentioned, have a look at the base baleno, i think you could fit that it your budget if you don't mind the looks.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks