Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2006, 17:17   #1

Camry, OHC and Zen. Now what?

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post at T-BHP. Have been lurking around for quite a while though.

Anyway, here is my situation.

As the post title suggests, we (family) have a Camry, Honda City 1.5Exi and a Zen. Now we are looking to add one more car. The budget is 15 lakhs. This car will be self-driven and usage will be 90% city and 10% highway. Monthly driving distance would be around 1000kms. Fuel efficiency is important.

I am leaning towards the Honda Accord 2.4 M/T as of now. What about the CR-V? If not in this segment, would it be worth putting in the extra money (quite a bit) and looking at a Merc C Class?

Let me know if you guys need any more info. I am very confused here, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by wildthings : 21st February 2006 at 17:19.
Old 21st February 2006, 17:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the Team, Wildthings.

So you already have a city hatch, a mid-size sedan and a luxury sedan (all Japanese). Why not an SUV, so you have a complete garage? People who arent looking at off-roading are very happy with the CRV (if you can call it an SUV), and then there are also owners who are extremely happy with the Tucson. I suggest you testdrive both.

The Accord and the C Class are at the end of their current generation lifespans. I would wait for replacements.

GTO
Old 21st February 2006, 17:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

If u want another sedan, go for the new sonata(chauffer) or the mondeo(self driven).

If u want a sporty car, go ONLY for the octy Vrs

Suv- U can look at the tucson or the CRV
Old 21st February 2006, 18:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If u want a sporty car, go ONLY for the octy Vrs
Agreed. If not an SUV, this is what you HAVE to consider.

GTO
Old 21st February 2006, 18:54   #5
BHPian

With no SUV in the garage, I will definitaly consider CRV, and in case you want another Sedan, why not wait for the new Civic!!!
Old 21st February 2006, 18:59   #6
BHPian

If I were in your shoes, would go in for a Honda CRV... Wasn't too impressed with the interiors of the Tucson (although I like Hyundai's After Sales Service). Only benefit of the Tucson would be the engine. Nice diesel...
Old 21st February 2006, 19:06   #7
BHPian

If it has to be a car, then I'd choose from the Accord and the Octy vRS.

An SUV is what is missing from your lineup though, which tilts the scales heavily in favor of the CR-V. You could consider the Tucson if diesels are OK as well. The Toyota Fortuner is due to be launched this year (?) and also deserves consideration if you can wait for it.

Get an SUV - you may find that this causes the highway driving component to increase significantly because of all those trips you make!
Old 21st February 2006, 19:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since fuel efficiency is important, why not go for Tata Safari Dicor EX 4X4 or the Hyundai Tuscon. CRV wont be fuel efficient.
Old 21st February 2006, 19:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try out the Tucson, its a pretty good SUV suitable for Indian roads and will be easy to maintain cuz its a Hyundai. The CRV on the otherhand would be hard on the wallet...

If ur looking at a car, consider the Octavia L&K which retails at arnd 14lacs..
Old 21st February 2006, 22:30   #10

Wow. Thanks for the replies. So many, So quick

I'll get a test drive of a the Skoda. The lack of an SUV in my "garage" does veer me towards the CRV, as many of you pointed out.

I did get a very small test drive of the CR-V and wasn't too convinced. Maybe a longer one would help me be a better judge.

As far as SUVs are concerned, what about the X-Trail or Endeavour?
Old 21st February 2006, 23:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey wildthings, I am with the rest on the SUV front. That would complete your garage. The X-Trail is better than the CR-V and best part is its Diesel so you save on that in city driving. I have an Endeavour and the only reason its still thr is coz its not self-driven, the driver has to handle the burden of that beast in the city. Dont get me wrong, I love the car and its fun to drive but not in daily traffic. The Turbo-lag just kills me but besides that the car doesnt give much to complain on open roads.
Old 22nd February 2006, 00:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

wildthings,

I think firstly you need to choose a budget :
X trial, C class are close to 25 to 28 laks
Octy Rs, CRV , Tucson are around 14-17 lak.

Next decide whether you actually want a SUV ? I guess you should coz you already have one the most luxurious cars (Camry) in yr garage.

Within the SUV, the options worth considering are only CRV and Tucson.
Its a pure petrol Vs Diesel fight here.

X-trial is a good car with mind blowing FE ( I have heard aound 10 with AC in Bombay traffic). Expect 6.5-7 from CRV and 7-8 from the tucson in City traffic.
The only drawback of the X-trial is , its too pricey (25 lak) since its a imported as a CBU.

Lastly I see no reason in yr leaning towards the Accord Mt 2.4, as you already have a Camry. Why keep 2 such similar cars, when you have an option.

Last edited by dipen : 22nd February 2006 at 00:30.
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

its more like the crv s game on this thread, just what i was gonna suggest before opening the thread . . seems like the boys have fed you with enough of it already.

manson.
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

SUV would have been my choice too .. if you can wait awhile . the Mitsubishi Outlander could be real alternative to the CR-V ..
Details in the Autocar Feb issue.
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthings
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post at T-BHP. Have been lurking around for quite a while though.

Anyway, here is my situation.

As the post title suggests, we (family) have a Camry, Honda City 1.5Exi and a Zen. Now we are looking to add one more car. The budget is 15 lakhs. This car will be self-driven and usage will be 90% city and 10% highway. Monthly driving distance would be around 1000kms. Fuel efficiency is important.

I am leaning towards the Honda Accord 2.4 M/T as of now. What about the CR-V? If not in this segment, would it be worth putting in the extra money (quite a bit) and looking at a Merc C Class?

Let me know if you guys need any more info. I am very confused here, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Look for an SUV or a performance sedan. Not only that, Also look for something European or Indian as all your cars are Japanese.

Try a Fiat palio 1.6, ford Endeavour,ford mondeo,mahindra scorpio crde,skoda RS or Tata safari DICOR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks