Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2006, 14:15   #1

New Palio 1.6 or Old Car

Hello! Friends,
Thank you all for replying to me earlier welcoming me to this group. I am trying to get familiar with this site. I have been a member of Palio Users Group in Yahoo and I see couple of members here as well.

With Tata Fiat tie up and my long wait for Palio I am inclined to buy one shortly. Prefered choice has always been a 1.6 Palio or Adventure.

My friends or even if I talk to people about my decision no one still recommends a Fiat. Truly Fiat is responsible for all that mess up. But even now I do not hear or read about ads from the Tata Fiat dealers as well.

I have not driven a 1.6 yet , will some one have an idea if Palio sports 1.6 is available with any dealers in Bangalore ?

Is adventure too thirsty for petrol ?Does it make sense to buy an older Honda City etc with same budget in mind ? I have not bought a second hand car and intend to keep the car for long at least 4-5 years.

Please suggest thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Kunal
Old 11th March 2006, 14:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Any budget constaints ?
Usage, any other criteria for selecting a car ?
Old 11th March 2006, 15:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

kunal21 - I called a Fiat dealer here in Mumbai yesterday. I was told that the Palio 1.6 Sports is available but there is none for display. Also i called up a Tata dealer who told me the cars will be available shortly with them since they have merged.

Its more advisable to go in for a brand new car since if you will be going in for Loan then there will be higher intrest rate on old cars then new. Secondly a New car will be less on maintenance will come with a warranty and hence less of a headache. After the Fiat - Tata tie up i would highly recommend you to test drive a 1.6 Engined Palio (be it the adventure or the Sport) and then decide on it.

All the best for your decision
Old 11th March 2006, 16:43   #4
BHPian

kunal21 - FIAT's& GM's petrol car's are known to be thirstier than their japanese/korean counterparts...
If you are planning to keep the car for 4-5 years i would suggest to go for a new one.
Test drive, all car's in your budget and decide..
Old 11th March 2006, 18:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal21
I have not driven a 1.6 yet ,
so be ready to experience a mindblowing performance!
i am having a Palio1.6 for last 6 years and never got bored of it!

it gives me a mileage of about 11kmpl in city and on highways it returns about 13+kmpl. not bad considering my driving style and its heavy robust built.

but even after TATA stepping in to save us (?!), i doubt seeing any changes for good.

regarding second hand cars, better stay away from them, if you can.

if you can wait for some time then, i think, Chevy's upcoming small car should be a better bet.

but do take a test drive of Palio1.6 atleast once.
and post your experience here.
Old 11th March 2006, 20:07   #6

Thank you for your quick response

Dear friends,
I took a test drive of Adventure today. The experience was awsome never driven a 1.6 before. I have been hearing the fun to drive the 1.6 Fiat and I am in agreement with you all.

I am getting inclined to go for Adventure my budget was about 5 lacs but Adventure will cost about 1 lac more. I am yet to talk to the Bankers and find out the EMI.

Does Adventure and Palio 1.6 give the same milage ? I am told by the dealer that both give about 8-10 Km / Litre in city with AC on.

Please suggest. Thank you once again for your replies.

Best Regards
Kunal
Old 11th March 2006, 20:38   #7
BHPian

if low-mileage and poor after-sales-service are not big concerns, then you just go ahead and buy the Adventure.
the 1.6 engine will help you to forget all those small things!.
Old 13th March 2006, 19:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal21
Dear friends,
I took a test drive of Adventure today.

Does Adventure and Palio 1.6 give the same milage ? I am told by the dealer that both give about 8-10 Km / Litre in city with AC on.

Please suggest. Thank you once again for your replies.

Best Regards
Kunal
Autocar quotes the FE of the Palio 1.6 in the range of 9.1(city) & 14.1(highway). I guess you could expect the same from the Adventure?

PS: Wasn't there a palio weekend as well? I am guessing the adventure is the estate with flared up wheel arches right?
Old 13th March 2006, 21:53   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Last what i read bout palios was that Fiat had a huge stock lying with them. dealers were clearingo ut stock by giving unreal discounts etc. I had read in autocar that someone was sold a Palio 1.6 GTX and the car developed rust issues within 1-2 months of purchase, Due to the fact that the car was lying in the stockyard of the dealer or company for way-t00-long. I just have a feeling that its the "OLD STOCK" which would be coming out now more reliable with TATA-FIAT thingie... but this thought seems scary as Palio's are easy and cheap to get in the resale market. I had seen a S10 on sale too here in noida bout 2 weeks back its not there now :(

just be carefull
Old 30th April 2006, 22:54   #10
BHPian

Adventure will be a bit more thirstier than palio.
The adventure feels a bit sluggish to perta 1.6 (both gt same gearbox)
its becoz of the little extra wt.
so naturally, milage wil be less
Old 1st May 2006, 17:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder

it gives me a mileage of about 11kmpl in city and on highways it returns about 13+kmpl. not bad considering my driving style and its heavy robust built.
I used to get 10.5 from Palio 1.2 ELX (pre-NV), driving in Delhi and Faridabad. Looks like the 1.6 engine is more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
but even after TATA stepping in to save us (?!), i doubt seeing any changes for good.
Why do you say that? Do you know something about the alliance that's not public yet? Even I am getting tempted by the Adventure and the alliance with Tata seemed to be comforting factor.

Last edited by directinjection : 1st May 2006 at 17:31.
Old 1st May 2006, 17:52   #12
BHPian

my friend who drives the s10 in mumbai claims to get 9-10 in the city and about 12 on the highway. he is very happy with the palio and convinced me to buy one as well. i drive the palio 1.9d - 20000 kms now, and no bother at all. i love the car.

the adventure should give less FE than the 1.6 palio gtx, what with its heavier chassis and stuff.

yes, the performance of the 1.6 gtx will make you forget the other worries about the palio...all the best in your desision making
Old 1st May 2006, 17:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Kunal: Go for the new 1.6 if you are planning to keep it for 4-5 years.

Cream: Not seen you around for the past few months?
Old 4th May 2006, 12:36   #14

Dear Friends,
Thank you all for your suggestions.I have booked Palio 1.6 and waiting for the Bank processing to get through. I have heard a lot from this group about the pros and cons. I thank each one of you for helping me take a decision. I am also looking for ICE probabaly will settle for Alpine and JBL sound combo with subwoofer and amp from JBL. Please suggest.
Thanks
Best Regards
Kunal
Old 4th May 2006, 12:46   #15
BHPian

Good choice mate.....congrats for the 1.6 monster...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks