Team-BHP - Maruti Swift ZXI Old version or Swift VXI New Version?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Maruti Swift ZXI Old version or Swift VXI New Version? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/112413-maruti-swift-zxi-old-version-swift-vxi-new-version.html)

Folks,

My friend had booked New Maruti Swift VXI last week by paying token advance. Yesterday, he told me that the dealer has come up with a strange offer.

Offer: Brand new Maruti Swift ZXI (Older version) with Alloy wheels for 6.2L. Model - Jan 2011.

Please let me know:
1) If he should consider this offer in the first place and go for the Swift ZXI having features such as ABS, Airbag, Alloy wheels that are not present in the new Swift VXI?

2) What are the pros and cons of going in for the Swift ZXI (older version) even though its a brand new unit? Does it effect the engine and other parts since its been lying in the inventory for almost 1 year in the open?

Any inputs / suggestions highly appreciated.

Regards,
KTP

A car that's been standing in one place for 1 year? Ask him to run away. Reasons:

- The Swift is a hot seller. There is no valid reason why this particular Swift ZXi wouldn't sell in 12 months. Something is fishy here.

- The new Swift, being an all-new generation, is a giant leap ahead in terms of safety, ride comfort, refinement and engine tech (variable valve timing). That said, I would highly recommend that he moves up to the new-gen ZXi as it has better brakes (than the lousy ones on the L & V variants).

- The price isn't really that great. I mean, if he's in the market for a brand new car, well, ask him to buy a BRAND NEW car. The couple of thousands in difference is well worth it.

My post from another thread which is relevant here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1329828)
I'll elaborate why it's not a good idea:

1. The i10 is a hot-seller. Why would a particular example have been in storage for about a year, when there are customers lining up for an i10 everyday? Why did this sole car not find a home when its production batchmates did just fine?

2. What is the guarantee that this car was not used as a test-drive car? Or a couple of joy rides perhaps.

3. What is the guarantee that this car was not used as a parts car, including as a supply for warranty replacements?

4. How was it stored? Not indoors I'm sure. The effect of direct sun and the relevant hot - cold temperature fluctuation on an idle car? What about flood damage? Engine bays of ignored cars are a haven for rats. Which Indian stock yard is rat free again?

5. Manufacturers don't announce the same, but improvements (however small) are constantly made to cars year on year (based on customer feedback, warranty claims, part failure reports etc.). This car surely isn't the beneficiary of any of these?

6. Was it washed on a daily basis? All of us know the answer to that. Couple that, with the direct sun effect, I'd love to see the paint quality on this car.

7. Tyres + battery have, in all probability, deteriorated. I'm willing to bet on damage to rubber seals, beading, wiper blades, rust inside the exhaust etc. etc. Even the braking system would need to be flushed & checked for any defects.

8. You are paying a lesser amount now, but the resale value will also be lower.

There are simply too many "ifs" & "buts" to this situation. Cars are built to run. If I'm buying new, I want NEW. Else, I'd rather pick a used 1 year old i10 that has seen *atleast* weekly running, than another that's been standing in one place. Heck it'll be far cheaper as well!

6.2L for Old ZXI doesn't sound very cheap. The biggest concern with Old ZXI is you are buying a generation old model. If both had same engines I would not have bothered much. But, the new Swift has a brand new 1.3L 87PS VVT petrol engine which is supposed to be more powerful yet more fuel efficient than the older one. Plus you friend will lose the other improvements done in the newer model.

Not sure what is the price difference between New VXI and Old ZXI. Although I like the shape of old swift than the new one, I would say, if old ZXI is cheaper than the new VXI by a good margin then you might want to consider. Otherwise doesn't sound a very good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autocop (Post 2607568)
6.2L for Old ZXI doesn't sound very cheap. The biggest concern with Old ZXI is you are buying a generation old model. If both had same engines I would not have bothered much. But, the new Swift has a brand new 1.3L 87PS VVT petrol engine which is supposed to be more powerful yet more fuel efficient than the older one. Plus you friend will lose the other improvements done in the newer model.

Not sure what is the price difference between New VXI and Old ZXI. Although I like the shape of old swift than the new one, I would say, if old ZXI is cheaper than the new VXI by a good margin then you might want to consider. Otherwise doesn't sound a very good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2607567)
A car that's been standing in one place for 1 year? Ask him to run away. Reasons:

GTO and Autocop: Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I shall pass on the same to him so that they will help him in making the right decision.

@Autocop, he is getting the VXI for 5.74 on-road BLR and he is not willing to go for ZXI which is 1L more. Thats why he is tempted to go for this Old ZXI.

Would not recommend especially as this one is almost a year old car in their stockyard. 1 month here and there would have been fine. Apart from this the complete package is different when it comes to new and old swift. The new one surely seems more fresher from inside and more fun to drive.

Also @ 6.2 does not sound like cheap. He should in fact be giving you much more discount.

Its as good as buying a 1 year old second hand swift so its nothing like a great deal IMHO.
Personally I would settle with Ritz ZXI which is a wonderful car as well (since you don't seem to have serious inclination towards the new swift :D )
Currently some good discount is being offered on Ritz

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirantp (Post 2607544)
Folks,

My friend had booked New Maruti Swift VXI last week by paying token advance. Yesterday, he told me that the dealer has come up with a strange offer.

Offer: Brand new Maruti Swift ZXI (Older version) with Alloy wheels for 6.2L. Model - Jan 2011.

Please let me know:
1) If he should consider this offer in the first place and go for the Swift ZXI having features such as ABS, Airbag, Alloy wheels that are not present in the new Swift VXI?

2) What are the pros and cons of going in for the Swift ZXI (older version) even though its a brand new unit? Does it effect the engine and other parts since its been lying in the inventory for almost 1 year in the open?

Any inputs / suggestions highly appreciated.

Regards,
KTP

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirantp (Post 2607584)
GTO and Autocop: Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I shall pass on the same to him so that they will help him in making the right decision.

@Autocop, he is getting the VXI for 5.74 on-road BLR and he is not willing to go for ZXI which is 1L more. Thats why he is tempted to go for this Old ZXI.

This is funny as the new Zxi is 6.45 lakhs on road (in Mumbai) and your friend is being offerd the older Zxi at 6.2 lakhs. Definitely a big NO!

kirantp, ask your friend to stay away.

3 reasons.

1) A brand new Swift ZXi makes more sense. Sure, you'll have to stretch the budget a bit more when compared to old ZXi here. But you'll get that money back while selling it.
2) The new Swift is a much better car when compared to the old one in many aspects.
3) The old ZXi which is being contemplated here is just too old and too expensive even after discounts. As GTO rightly pointed out, run away even if there are further discounts.

Is this vehicle located in Pratham Motors , Queens road ? I guess Silver ZXI with Mags and discount.

The New VXi is a much better deal. The new K12 with VVT is an awesome engine- super silent, refined and fuel efficient, and a real joy to rev hard. Even more importantly, the old ZXI is almost 50k more expensive than the new VXi. Does not make too much sense whichever way you look at it. The new Swift with improved interiors, brilliant suspension, engine with spanking new tech, and great overall looks is the way to go!

I would never buy a previous generation model of an existing car especially one like the Swift which had long waiting periods even in its earlier avatar. Possibly this is a demo/display car or one that has been in some kind of accident- no idea! And the new Swift has sweet interiors.

Zxi> Vxi but even the Vxi should be a decent offering compared to a potentially lemony old gen Zxi!

I would like to stress ONE important point that GTO has already suggested.

If your friend is looking for NEW car, he ought to get a BRAND NEW car. If he is looking for a discounted price, then he might better scout for used options.

After all, used petrol cars seem to be of tremendous value these days. And of course, consider the snob value, resale etc.. of the car he is going to get.

If you are looking for pre-Gen Swift, then its better to go for a low mileage ZXi (many pre-Gen petrol owners could be upgrading to Diesel nowadays)

I can almost assure you that this was a car damaged majorly in transit, claimed transit insurance (usually takes a longer time than customer claim), repaired & made ready for unsuspecting customer OR odo cable unplugged & test driven.

Otherwise hot property like Swift will not stay unsold for 10 months in B'lore.

As mentioned by many before me, do NOT buy this car.
There is definitely something fishy going on if a Swift remains unsold for a year, even if its the petrol version.

Tell your friend to go for the new VXi, or even better, the new ZXi, if possible. I know its quite a stretch in price, but its worth it. ABS, airbags, climate control and factory fit ICE.( He should be happy with it as long as he doesn't visit the ICE section on TBHP :D)

Not to mention the ZXi has better brakes than the brakes in the LXi & VXi variants. I prefer safety, before any other creature comforts.

Link to the New swift brake issue thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ake-issue.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirantp (Post 2607584)

Dont buy the old gen as it has stood idle for long and will not look like a brand new model (one among a million) plus you lose a lot in resale - period.

I made the same mistake buying a Vxi 5 yrs back and repented later for not spending a lakh more to get the Zxi... trust me, the extra moolah is worth all the safety equipment.