Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2006, 09:32   #1

Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Hi All,
I am about to buy a used car ... model of 2003 an higher.
Budget 1.8 to 2.2
I have narrowed my confusion to WagonR and Santro.
what I could find till now is that
WagonR is marginally better in terms of Maintenence, EPS, Fuel Economy
and Santro Xing is Definetly better in looks and space ( 5 seater)

what my requirements are (in preference order) :-
1 Trouble free ( least trouble)
2 low maintenece ( frequency of service and spares)
3 Driveability in crowded city ( where no traffic rule applies)
4 FE is not a big issue ( is to be used 20 kms a day at most)
5 space
6 looks

There are another option Alto and Esteem,
Esteem is better but I don't know if maintenence is higher than Santro/WagonR.... (I know that this is another segment but can be considered and budget can be stretched, main issue is ongoing costs)
Do you know when the Newer Esteem model was launced ( new look, tubeless tyres etc)
also when new look Wagon R was launched ?....

One more thing I would like to ask that santro is 5 seater and WagonR is 4 seater. But the width difference is merely 3 cm... does that make so much difference...

ok let me confuse myself again and you too... if ongoing costs are lesser and FE is not tooooo low then Baleno and Honda city ( what model should be ok... I mean year)

Also Absolute no no to palio...
somewhat no no to Indica

guys I am again confused .....

with regards
Old 20th March 2006, 10:01   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Get santro or WagonR whatever you get at better price/ better maintained car.

Santro 5 seater ... WagonR 4 seater
Practicatly speaking both don't have space for the 5th person. Apart from that wagonRs rear seat is split, so it makes a little uncomfortable for the 5th person (though its still quite Ok)...

Santro has no front legroom & WagonR has no rear legroom! (so, i'd prefer wagonR here)
Old 20th March 2006, 10:38   #3
BHPian

I would goo for santro..
and i am not sure if you can get any of these 2 cars above 2003 model for 2.2L i think it would be higher... ********well not sure*********
Old 20th March 2006, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

The new look wagonR was launched sometime late 2003.
Old 20th March 2006, 11:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

My experience says Both are equally fine. My Two Uncles drive the santro xing. My other uncle and we have a WagonR.

I dont think any owner can match this experience.

wagonR engine is smooth and performance oriented. Fun to drive. Seat for 4 is good and ample headroom being a tall boy. Our car gives us 15-16 in the city. My uncles gets the same FE . Interiors are average. If practicality in a car for a family of 4 is needed then WagonR meets the requirements.

Hyundai Santro has been equally good car. Looks are not boxy like the wagonR but engine is not smooth either. Service has been as good as Suzuki's. many would debate seating of 5 & The width in the rear seat is more than in WagonR which I have myself measured but I wonder how 5 adults can in anyway sit comfortably in a small hatch. Interiors are better than in WagonR. Both my uncles claim a FE of 14-15 which is pretty much similar to What the Japanese engine can extract.

Both cars can do a Max.speed of 130kmph +/- 5-10 kmph on speedo.

Choose any and you wont really go wrong.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th March 2006 at 11:31.
Old 20th March 2006, 11:54   #6
k36
BHPian

If you are going for used car, the actual condition matters a lot more than the model (including year) per say between WagonR and santro. Choose with care !
Old 20th March 2006, 12:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
If you are going for used car, the actual condition matters a lot more than the model (including year) per say between WagonR and santro. Choose with care !

When I wend for my 2nd hand car, I went for a car which was in better condition for me it was WagonR
Old 20th March 2006, 13:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlotwin
what my requirements are (in preference order) :-
1 Trouble free ( least trouble)
2 low maintenece ( frequency of service and spares)
3 Driveability in crowded city ( where no traffic rule applies)
4 FE is not a big issue ( is to be used 20 kms a day at most)
5 space
6 looks

One more thing I would like to ask that santro is 5 seater and WagonR is 4 seater. But the width difference is merely 3 cm... does that make so much difference...
Hey Winlotwin,

Amongst the 2 hatchs you mentioned - both are equally good in all the 5 requirments of yours. As for Santro being a 5 seater is more of a marketing gimmick rather than the car having actual space for the 5th person. Seating 5 in both is a cramped affair.

If I were you, I would go with the Hyundai Santro. The only reason that tilts my choice towards the Santro being: - I found that Hyundai A.S.S is better than the Maruti A.S.S.

Cheers
Old 20th March 2006, 14:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'd prefer japs to koreans anyday.
Old 20th March 2006, 20:34   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Me and my friend we both bought our cars a Santro (mine) and a WagonR (his) at the same time. Both after an year of use i'd say Santro still looks better and new and the plastics inside still have the new feel. I have a metallic shade and his is base white but the paint on the santro still look new and shiny. the engine too is smooth and feel fresh.

Secondly i didn't the like High'ish centre console in the WagonR (the Center AC vents) its just too high though i'm 6" tall or maybe its just me used to a santro. I found santro's seat far more confortable than wagonR and the switches too better quality than wagonR.

And as our moderator pointed out Hyundai's A.S.S (corny?) is better than MUL's

so there u have it my vote is for santro.

Ps. Santro a 5 seater ?? dats an eye wash with the front seats pulled all the way back there is no space for anyone but kids.
Old 20th March 2006, 22:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maruti putting cheapo plastics in its cars is no new news. From 800 to Zen to Swift to Baleno.. i guess the interior quality is definitly below competetion.
Old 21st March 2006, 00:11   #12
BHPian

After 50000 kms in 4 years my santro is still good. The engine is so smooth and i get 13 in city and 15 or little more on highways.

Except for the suspension I dont have any complaints about santro. It is a small car so cant expect 5 to be seated comfortably. Interior is good.
Old 21st March 2006, 10:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Both are equally good cars. Just see where you get the better deal. And a better maintained piece.
Old 21st March 2006, 10:42   #14
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlotwin

That point had made the decision for me while buying my car 3 years back. Had opted for santro as person sitting on split seat would be really uncomfortable in W-R.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

You started off with a "Santro or WagonR" question but then veered off to ask about Esteems, Balenos and even Honda City provided the recurring costs are not more. You said you can stretch your budget.

On this theme let me suggest you an option. Spend around Rs.2.8 and get a new Indica Xeta. The FE is around 14 in city, it is more cavernous than many of the booted cars, has beige interiors (looks good), is even peppier than what it used to be... and IMO looks good as well.

In fact think about it and you won't find a better deal than that. And you will get a new true-blue 5 seater and still pay the same that you will pay for a used car (which may mean regular expenses if you fail to identify the car properly at buying stage). Mind you Indica is the cheapest car to own in its segments (yes, not only diesel but even in petrol). That is because their parts are very cheap, service costs are low and the car comes with a 3 years' warranty... so its the ultimate peace of mind for such a low spend!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks