Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2006, 14:21   #1
BHPian

2nd hand WagonR or new Indica Xeta?

Some time back I sold my zen and had freezed on 2nd hand WagonR with a auto dealer. The deal didnt work out.Then I was thinking of buying a new sedan but could not find a good sedan in my budget.

So I was again considering going in for WagonR and thats when I cam accross Xeta pricing. In Pune, 2nd hand 1-3 year old wagon r prices are ranging from 2.5L to 2.9L depending on the model, km on odo etc. Now its the same price range we get new Indica Xeta. I read few reviews/threads here and xeta seems to be a good buy.

So would it be better to go for a new Xeta rather than a 2nd hand WagonR?
Old 4th April 2006, 14:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

which variant are u talking about in xeta and wagon-r. price difference for a xeta GLS variant & wagon-r LXI variant for a new car itself is around 70K (which has both ps & ac). so i guess u compare the top end variant of wagon-r with xeta.

also let members know about ur usage & expectations on the car based on that they will give u a lot of suggestions
Old 4th April 2006, 15:11   #3
BHPian

Thanks surprise. For a year now I have been driving Zen. The reason for selling zen is produciton being stopped and I was looking for a car that could preferably accomodate 5 people and offer me good luggage space.

My avg driving/month varies between 800-1000 Kms and generally go for long drives once in a month...Out of 800-1000, 300+ would be long drive and rest in the city.

About prices I enquired I was getting 2005 WagonR Lxi for around 2.85L and 2003 model for 2.65L. On the other side, Indica Xeta GLS is 3.09L OTR pune. I am getting 10K discount on any model of Xeta being tata group employee

Guys get me out of this confusion
Old 4th April 2006, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme
I was looking for a car that could preferably accomodate 5 people and offer me good luggage space.
I dont think Wagon-R could accomodate 5 people comfortably. Indica scores over wagon-R in this.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:24   #5
BHPian

go for xeta .there are many threads which could tell you why.i dont know how to link otherwise i wud have linked you to them
Old 4th April 2006, 15:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Wagon R wont be really comfortable. If you are considering the Indica why dont you check out the diesel turbo?
Old 4th April 2006, 15:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some time back I sold my zen and had freezed on 2nd hand WagonR with a auto dealer. The deal didnt work out.Then I was thinking of buying a new sedan but could not find a good sedan in my budget.

So I was again considering going in for WagonR and thats when I cam accross Xeta pricing. In Pune, 2nd hand 1-3 year old wagon r prices are ranging from 2.5L to 2.9L depending on the model, km on odo etc. Now its the same price range we get new Indica Xeta. I read few reviews/threads here and xeta seems to be a good buy.

So would it be better to go for a new Xeta rather than a 2nd hand WagonR?
Ok pingme... let me put it this way. A new car is any day better over a pre-owned car. A pre-owned car will more often than not have spent the better part of its trouble-free life. So sooner than later you will start footing the bill on the costly mid-life servicing. Compared to that a new car will last you at least the first 3 years without any trouble or expense.

Now comparing the WagonR and Indica Xeta, the whole thing is actually sort of a non-brainer. You are getting a brand new car at the cost of a 3 years old car. That's a massive plus. On top of that if the car happes to be bigger and also gives you more or less the same FE the advantages only add up. I think this should be a very simple equation for you. Xeta is the answer, all the way.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

i would buy a new car anytime ..
Old 4th April 2006, 15:37   #9
BHPian

There is a price difference of around 1L between Xeta GLS and Turbo GLS with 800-1000 Km /month running is it worth spending extra lack rupees ? what do you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
The Wagon R wont be really comfortable. If you are considering the Indica why dont you check out the diesel turbo?
Old 4th April 2006, 15:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Dippy, I think he is concerned with the price. The turbo will require him to shell out over 4.1L He is more interested in something below 3L. From that aspect the Xeta is the best deal for him.
Old 4th April 2006, 15:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a price difference of around 1L between Xeta GLS and Turbo GLS with 800-1000 Km /month running is it worth spending extra lack rupees ? what do you say?
The answer to your question is "it depends". Lets check out the sheer arithmatics first. I will calculate the whole thing on Hyderabad prices of the respective fuels.

Petrol := Rs 50 Lt
Diesel := Rs.34 Lt

Now supposing that the Xeta gives you 13 km/lt (could be lesser) and you travel 1000 kms in a month, you will require 76.92 ltrs of petrol per month. This costs you Rs.3846 per month.

The diesel turbo will return you around 16 km for a ltr (non-turbo = 17+) in city. That means 62.5 ltrs of diesel costing Rs.2125 per month.

As you can see, even with your kind of running you save Rs.1721 per month on the fuel bill.

Now you have to also decide whether there is a scope that your running may actually increase in a year or so (suppose you shift residence, took a new job etc, start doing longer highway runs more frequently). In all these cases this saving of 1721 will increase even further.

Now you decide. Would you like a saving of 1L on the cost (if you are taking a loan, it may not matter much except for maybe increasing the EMI a little more which will still be much less than the savings you will make). You decide what appeals more to you
Old 4th April 2006, 16:07   #12

Hi Pingme,

I think Zappo put down quite an elaborate analysis.

If you are planning to buy a used car, you run the risk of getting cheated also. So it matters who you want to buy a used car from.

Unless you know the used car and the owner well enough, I suggest that you dont buy a used one.

Regarding a new car, you can choose the car based on the usage pattern. If you primarily drive on a highway, you may look at good fuel economy. In that case, Indica Diesel (turbo or non-turbo) may be a good bet.

If your primary use is in city conditions, then a petrol car might do the job.

There was a recent review in one of the car mags between Santro, Indica Xeta and Alto. Indica Xeta won the comparison.
Even New Wagon R to New Indica Xeta, I think Xeta is a good Value for Money.

So when you compare with Old Wagon R and New Xeta, I would go for new Xeta, coz there are no hidden surprises.

All the best..
Old 4th April 2006, 16:09   #13

Another point, on used cars the service history matters.
Among the frauds that can happen in used cars, Odometer fraud is one. So beware..
Old 4th April 2006, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Thanks guys! Your calculations make lot of sense! and I think I should seriously consider Indica Turbo

One more question, is it seriously worh to consider indigo over Turbo indica? I think its like paying 1L or so extra for a boot and status. are there any other features between worth a lack rupees?
Old 4th April 2006, 18:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys! Your calculations make lot of sense! and I think I should seriously consider Indica Turbo

One more question, is it seriously worh to consider indigo over Turbo indica? I think its like paying 1L or so extra for a boot and status. are there any other features between worth a lack rupees?
Haa haaa haaaa... ok. If you say so. Personally, I feel that if not anything else it gives me immense pleasure when I think that I am saving thousands every month on the fuel bills. Because that is an upfront payment I will need to make everytime, month after month. EMI reduction (or increase) by a few hundreds won't show up that much.

Should you look at Indigo. Boy!!! Are you leaping ahead... and how. haa haa haaa. From Xeta to ITurbo and now Indigo? Ok... let me give you my Brother-in-law's analysis here. I was interested in Indica whereas he was looking at an Indigo. Both of us are just 2 people (couples) at home (both of us stay away from parents). So Indica was quite enough (more than enough?!) for the two of us. However my brother in law is thinking long term. He will retain his car for the foreseeable future. So he thinks once you go the family way the boot space helps immensely. Not to speak of those long highway cruises when you also tend to have a lot of luggage with you, particularly if there is another accompanying family. So for him the boot is a must.

You got the drift pal? Now you decide...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks