Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 15:57   #1
BNB

Which car? (4 -5 Lacs)

Hi Guys,
This is my first posting with the most common question..on this forum...
which car to buy..?

my requirements..are...

1) Good FE.
2) Its usage will be around 500 to 600 km in a month.Plus one or two long drives.

2) It should be Spacious,perticularly in rare.
3 should be comfortably placed.

3) decent pickup & good driving pleasure.

4) Cost:-Between 4L to 5L

As of now i am looking at XING eRLC/Wagon-R/Indica TURBO.
Also i heard Govt is going to increase fues rates, petrol by 5.50 & diesel by 7.60 Rs
so pertol will be 56 rs & diesel will cost around 43rs in bangalore.
looking at all these please advise me.

Thanks
Bharath
Old 20th April 2006, 16:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Petrol car with 13kmpl mileage for 600 kms per month = 46 litres = Rs.2576
Diesel (Indica) with 13kmpl mileage for 600 kms per month = 46 litres = Rs.1978.

You will roughly save Rs. 600 per month ; Rs 7200 per annum.

If diesel go for Indica Turbo (not much choice in this segment !)
Comfortable car, rear seats more spacious & comfy than Santro/WagonR. You will get good FE and decent pickup.
Only driving pleasure (in city) may be relatively less than WagonR/Santro.

However, given your budget and criteria, if I had to choose I would probably have gone for the Getz.

Just to confuse you a bit, if you do consider the Indica, you could also get the Indigo in that price range.
Old 20th April 2006, 16:28   #3
BNB

I started of with INDIGO only..but forced to look for HATCHBACK because of parking problem...

thanks
bharath
Old 20th April 2006, 16:51   #4
BHPian

i hear good things about the Getz; how spacious it is, how easily it can be maneuvered and how comfortable the ride it. However, i am not sure about the FE of the Getz; have heard that it only gives 10 kmpl.
Old 20th April 2006, 17:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

BNB your case sounds almost like mine. Indigo was struck off the list because parking, or rather driving it down the narrow and closed lane upto my house at the end of this lane, was an issue. So I fell back upon a hatchback. Ended up with the Indica diesel. Must say I am happy.

Very comfy car, with a lot of space (cavernous is the word), comes with the advantages of a hatchback in terms of manoueverability, is really inexpensive to maintain and then of course that killer of a quotient, viz the diesel cost. All makes it a winner for me. By the way two things. Diesel prices vary from city to city. For Hyderabad the difference between the petrol and diesel prices is Rs16. That itself is a huge saving. Also, Indica gives an average of minimum 15.5 to 16 in city with AC on all the time. This never fails no matter what you do...

In my case I get a steady 17+ with intermittent AC and many a times 1st gear crawls (with only clutch and brakes in operation)...
Old 20th April 2006, 17:48   #6
BNB

Thanks for your feed back zappo, here also in bangalore the petrol - diesel difference is 15rs ...
heard again there will be a fues prise hike..
not sure...when...
Old 21st April 2006, 08:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej
i hear good things about the Getz; how spacious it is, how easily it can be maneuvered and how comfortable the ride it. However, i am not sure about the FE of the Getz; have heard that it only gives 10 kmpl.
THe Getz is an out dated car now with a not too great engine. It is quite spacious but the quality of the interiors is pathetic to say the least.

Dunno bout the FE but have heard reports of anything between 9-11 in city.

Even driving wise, the car is too softly sprung to be any fun to drive. The swift runs circles around the Getz.

Plus, the biggest worry is the company Hyundai. There is a danger of Hyundai going the Daewoo way and having burnt my fingers with Daewoo once, wouldn't really advise anyone to look at Hyundai for now.
Old 21st April 2006, 09:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
THe Getz is an out dated car now with a not too great engine. It is quite spacious but the quality of the interiors is pathetic to say the least.

Dunno bout the FE but have heard reports of anything between 9-11 in city.

Even driving wise, the car is too softly sprung to be any fun to drive. The swift runs circles around the Getz.

Plus, the biggest worry is the company Hyundai. There is a danger of Hyundai going the Daewoo way and having burnt my fingers with Daewoo once, wouldn't really advise anyone to look at Hyundai for now.
Getz is a dated car??? . When did this happen? Its one of the more modern hatchbacks in india along with the Swift. And BTW, Hyundai is giving maruti a run for its money with tremendous sales(only 2nd to maruti) and is one of the more sure-footed car manufacturers in the country (period). So who on earth told you that Hyundai is in trouble, Ford, GM, Fiat are in big-time trouble but not Hyundai. Agree that the Swift is a great car but then it has its share of problems too...

Anyways, BNB, i would suggest you go in for either the Swift VXI/ZXI or the Getz GLS. Test-drive both the cars and then you yourself will be in a better position to deciede. All the best and do let us know about your choice.

Oops, i forgot to mention my choice for you. It would be the Swift ZXI if it fits your budget.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 21st April 2006 at 09:13.
Old 21st April 2006, 10:12   #9
BNB

My 2 main requirements are FE & inner space.
Most of the cars are designed for drivers comfort & pay less attention to passengers, perticularly in hatch back segment.
I have one more question to be asked,it is regarding indica turbo.As I commute to office by company cab, using the car in week days is very minimal.
It will be used only during the week end for some short & long trips.
If i go for a diesel car, it will be standing almost idel for 5 days in a week. Does this afftect the diesel engine?

I that is the case, I can look for INDICA XETA which provides the same inner space & mostely good FE.
I am not sure abt performance of TATA petrol engines.
Came to know the XETA's performance is good,comfort wise and also FE wise.
XETA owners please provide your frank openions.
Old 21st April 2006, 10:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB
My 2 main requirements are FE & inner space.
Most of the cars are designed for drivers comfort & pay less attention to passengers, perticularly in hatch back segment.
I have one more question to be asked,it is regarding indica turbo.As I commute to office by company cab, using the car in week days is very minimal.
It will be used only during the week end for some short & long trips.
If i go for a diesel car, it will be standing almost idel for 5 days in a week. Does this afftect the diesel engine?

I that is the case, I can look for INDICA XETA which provides the same inner space & mostely good FE.
I am not sure abt performance of TATA petrol engines.
Came to know the XETA's performance is good,comfort wise and also FE wise.
XETA owners please provide your frank openions.
For your kinda use, i don't think you would need a diesel car at all. Diesel cars make sense if your usage is very heavy. Interior space is good in the Getz and the Swift and excellent in the Indica. But the build quality, nature of the coarse tata engines and some teething problems are reasons why i would advise you to stay away from the Indica. Soo as i said in my earlier post, the Getz and the Swift are good options for you. FE is almost the same in both cars whereas the Getz is more spacious especially in the rear with better shoulder and elbow room with 3 passengers in the rear. take your pick.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2006, 12:04   #11
BNB

XETA Owners feed back needed...

Based on my usage of car, ALTO is best suited, but inner space is too small to accomodate 5.That to 3 in rare seat.

Xeta fulfills my inner space requirement & I have to compromise on FE @ the cost of comfort.

Also my plan is to go for a SEDAN after 3-3.5 years.
Looking at this I feel its not advisable to go for diesel car right now & there are bright chances of desiel technology getting matured afetr 3 years.

This one is my serious observation...
Most of the cars in india gives more preference to driver comfort in hatch back segment, no one cares for passenger comforts.
Old 21st April 2006, 12:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
For your kinda use, i don't think you would need a diesel car at all. Diesel cars make sense if your usage is very heavy. Interior space is good in the Getz and the Swift and excellent in the Indica. But the build quality, nature of the coarse tata engines and some teething problems are reasons why i would advise you to stay away from the Indica. Soo as i said in my earlier post, the Getz and the Swift are good options for you. FE is almost the same in both cars whereas the Getz is more spacious especially in the rear with better shoulder and elbow room with 3 passengers in the rear. take your pick.

Cheers
Internationally, Getz has been around for about 4 years and there is a facalifted version out in Europe. Going by International product cycles, the Getz is due for a replacement in the next year or two (at least internationally if not in Inda).

Hyundai in korea is under investigation by the Govt. for financial irregularity much in the same manner that Daewoo was. There is a thread somewhere on this. some of Hyundai's top management has been arested recently.

As regards sales- the bulk is constituted of the Santro and accent. The getz is hardly posting any decent sales figures. (I know this for a fact since my cousing is the GM sales for Hyundai in North India). Hyundai may try to resrrect the Getz by launching it with a CRDi but that would take its already unrealistic pricing even higher.
Old 21st April 2006, 16:16   #13
BHPian

Hi BNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNB
Hi Guys,
This is my first posting with the most common question..on this forum...
which car to buy..?

my requirements..are...

1) Good FE.
2) Its usage will be around 500 to 600 km in a month.Plus one or two long drives.

2) It should be Spacious,perticularly in rare.
3 should be comfortably placed.

3) decent pickup & good driving pleasure.

4) Cost:-Between 4L to 5L

As of now i am looking at XING eRLC/Wagon-R/Indica TURBO.
Also i heard Govt is going to increase fues rates, petrol by 5.50 & diesel by 7.60 Rs
so pertol will be 56 rs & diesel will cost around 43rs in bangalore.
looking at all these please advise me.

Thanks
Bharath
The indica turbo is consistently giving me a milage of 15 kpl with 60 % AC on in the city (chaotic traffic). So on highways I am sure it gives more. It costs 4.25 lakhs for the top end model and is quite a spacious car with a solid build.

The only feature which I found wanting is that with AC on and driving on lower gear the car does not respond quickly to the accelerator in city traffic.
Old 21st April 2006, 16:28   #14
BNB

hum! good.
what abt maintanance?
In my case it would be standing IDEL on most of the week days.even though it gives good FE & comforts, it will not be used on week days & i will paying 1L more compared to XETA.
whats your take on this?
Old 21st April 2006, 16:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Drive both Swift and Getz & decide based on your liking of the car. Swift approximately gives 2-3kms per litre better than Getz. Getz is solid car & doesnt have rattling noises like in Swift. There is only marginal price diff of 10-20k in pricing after discounts

Last edited by Surprise : 21st April 2006 at 16:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks