Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:03   #1

Which used Car to buy?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Got reference from my friend and he suggested me to take info from all the Car Guru's, which i can find only on this site.

I am a beginner and looking for a small car to start with. I need your suggestions and info.

I heard that used cars are good for beginners, as i will be learning. I have been riding bike from quite long time. I am looking to buy the car for learning and to keep it for another 6 months to 1 year max.

Please help me to decide on
- How much should i invest in the car?
- Which car to go for?
- What all the thing i should look before buying a used car?
- Best Price Used Car Dealear's in Bangalore

Thanks
Old 5th July 2006, 10:25   #2

Is there anyone who can help me out in this? I am thinking to go for an ALTO. But i am not able to decide which year model i should go far and how much should i invest in this.

Thanx
Old 5th July 2006, 10:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfade
Hi,
I heard that used cars are good for beginners, as i will be learning. I have been riding bike from quite long time. I am looking to buy the car for learning and to keep it for another 6 months to 1 year max.
Please help me to decide on
- How much should i invest in the car?
- Which car to go for?
- What all the thing i should look before buying a used car?
- Best Price Used Car Dealear's in Bangalore
Welcome to TBHP. Answering your questions

I would recommend you spend around a lakh and get an 800 to start with, presuming that you wouldn't be keeping the car long. Depreciation would be less that way and you can always repair minor scratches at cheap rate when you are ready to sell.

Now the tricky part- buying a used car. Do you have any car expert whom you can trust? Inspecting a used car needs certain level of expertise. Else you can check Maruti Truevalue-less risk
Old 5th July 2006, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

well since your buying a used car make sure first it isnt a mh registered car since u could possibly get flood ridden cars.see to it tht it is registered from your part of the country...a little far away from you would get the price down by a couple of thousands...
The best car to learn on is the maruti 800 since most of here have started on that...dam cheap to maintain very easy to drive and you could get a 93 or 94 good condition model for as cheap as 30 to 35 grand...
Dont worry much if the car look dull or has a lot of scratches from the outside....get the engine,tires, suspension,brakes,underbody check by a friends mechanic or a garage near you..since ur bike mechanic wont do.
Keeping ur car for 6mths, dont do too many repairs if possible drive in the condition it comes..when the time come too see u might loose 5 to 10 grand here or there.
dealers no idea..iam from mumbai.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:51   #5

Hi ,

I have checked few cars (Alto and Santro). I found one of the good car Santro ZipPlus LS
Year: 2002
Mileage: 32 K
Very welll maintained, but the owner of the car is expecting price 2.65L. Can you please let me know is this right price in Bangalore.

Thanks
Old 20th July 2006, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

If I were you (with a budget of close to 3L), I would not even think of a used car. I would either buy a brand new M800 or Alto for that money and enjoy the experience, rather than living with the headaches that come with a used car. A new car usually (bcos some brands we get here are an exception) gives you a trouble-free experience atleast for 5 years, if not more. As long as you do the service as per manufacturers schedule and do not have serious accidents.
And I do not really subscribe to the theory that for a new driver, it has to be an old car. If I am right, Blore has a driving school run by Maruti, which is supposed to be pretty good (have simulation, theory and practicals), compared to the sorry jokes that we have as driving schools. Enrol for their course, get a license, buy the car, enlist the help of a friend who drives well (for the 1st few weeks) and you are set.

P.S. : If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Alto Lxi (with power steering) would be the best bet for you.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th July 2006 at 12:08.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:10   #7

As i have plans to sell the car in 6 to 7 months times. If i buy a brand new car, the depriciation will be very high and i might loose 50 to 60 k in that. Where as in used car i will look 20k to 25k.

And more over i can get the top end model with price for which i get the basic model new car.

What you say on this, supremeBaleno! vbmenu_register("postmenu_261320", true);
Old 20th July 2006, 12:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As i have plans to sell the car in 6 to 7 months times. If i buy a brand new car, the depriciation will be very high and i might loose 50 to 60 k in that. Where as in used car i will look 20k to 25k.
If you are sure that you will be selling it off in 6-7 months, then I guess a used car makes sense for you. The depreciation hit will be more with new car. You are right.

Quote:
And more over i can get the top end model with price for which i get the basic model new car. What you say on this, supremeBaleno!
Well, to each his own. Anyday, I would prefer to buy a New lower version car than a Old higher version. The scent of a new car (the insides), apart from the trouble free operation, is something I value more than a higher version.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:17   #9

I see not much difference in the price of ALTO and Santro in bangalore.

Janthinrao! what do u think is alto better than santro. The info i got from all my frends who has alto and santro, says that Santro all time better than santro.

Any thoughts on this???
Old 20th July 2006, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what do u think is alto better than santro. The info i got from all my frends who has alto and santro, says that Santro all time better than santro. Any thoughts on this???
Before deciding which car is better of the two, we need to know what you expect from your car. If performance (power) is key for you, then Santro is better as it is the powerful of the two. If mileage is important to you, Alto is much better than the Santro. If rear seat space is important, Santro would have a little more space than the Alto (though for 3 people, both cars are inconvenient). Check with your friends on what parameter, they rate Santro as better and you will get a clear idea.

And jathinrao is correct when he says that Alto will hold its resale value more than Santro.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And more over i can get the top end model with price for which i get the basic model new car.

What you say on this, supremeBaleno! vbmenu_register("postmenu_261320", true);
u r absolutely right... go for the cheapest 800 that u can get...800s are available from 20 k onwards. just make sure the basic things are fine in the car...even if u cant sell it after 6 months, u can still keep it as a second car. u wouldn't lose much this way.
Old 20th July 2006, 16:54   #12

I have check with two more cars

ALTO LX 2004, 20k Mileage, Price 2.4L (No power steering, no power window)

&

SANTRO LS 2002, 48k mileage Price 2.45L (Power steering, front power window)

Which one is better deal?
Old 20th July 2006, 20:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at the santro, I would recommend you a WagonR too.

WagonR has good allround visibility and a better power steering than the santro.
Old 21st July 2006, 18:42   #14
BHPian

Go for an Alto....Gud FE, Low Maintenance, parts readily available and easy to drive and park. Perfect for a beginner !!
Old 24th July 2006, 15:36   #15

Thanks for all your inputs, I really helped me to understand the different terminology used in this segment.

Finally I have finalized on the Santro 2003, 29k mileage, Maintained like a brand new car with out even a single scratch. And guess what, I got the deal in 2.45L.

And in the drivin school also i m getting better.... Hoping to be near to perfect in another weeks time.

Thanks again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks