Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 22:07   #1
BHPian

Used Maruti: Is warranty transferred to the 2nd owner?

I'm considering buying a 9 month old A-star that's run less than 10k kms for a friend. My impression is that Maruti's warranty is for 24 months and 60k kms so I wonder if the warranty will transfer to the new owner thereby minimizing one's risk?

I've tried asking this to many Maruti dealers and salespersons and I've gotten as many different answers as the number of people I've asked!

Does anyone know for certain what's Maruti's policy is or what the Indian law says?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th May 2014, 22:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Used Maruti: Is warranty transferred to the 2nd owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
I'm considering buying a 9 month old A-star that's run less than 10k kms for a friend. My impression is that Maruti's warranty is for 24 months and 60k kms so I wonder if the warranty will transfer to the new owner thereby minimizing one's risk?
Ofcourse YES.
Quoting from Baleno's warranty information (I don't have A-Star's, but it should be same across the company)

Used Maruti: Is warranty transferred to the 2nd owner?-war.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 22:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Ofcourse YES.
Quoting from Baleno's warranty information (I don't have A-Star's, but it should be same across the company)
That's perfect Mr.Boss! Thanks a lot!

Also, if I may hijack my own thread now that you have comprehensively answered it with a perfect picture shot, I'd like to ask one last minute question.

Is there a way to check if a car has any police case registered on it from an accident for instance? I'm just very suspicious why a 9 month old car is priced as low as it is priced. Almost too good to be true. I read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html but that issue had not been addressed there.
Old 29th May 2014, 02:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not only original warranty but even extended warranty is tied to the car and is not affected by change in ownership. This is a snippet of a mail with Maruti Helpline:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Maruti Suzuki.

We have checked in our records, the below mentioned vehicle is covered under Extended Warranty Option-II i.e. the vehicle is under Extended Warranty till 14-Dec-2015 or 80,000km (whichever occurs first). Extended Warranty on the vehicle is still applicable on the vehicle even if the owner is changed.

Regards

Harsh Bansal
(Manager-Service)
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 08:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to check if a car has any police case registered on it from an accident for instance? I'm just very suspicious why a 9 month old car is priced as low as it is priced. Almost too good to be true.
To answer your question this thread link will be useful. Have a look at it and check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...le-online.html

To answer your previous question, the warranty and the EW always goes with the car and not with the owner.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 09:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
To answer your question this thread link will be useful. Have a look at it and check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...le-online.html
This is amazing! Thank you so much. This forum is just invaluable, really! We have Carfax in the US so I'm so glad the Indian Govt has made this possible.

Unfortunately though, the 9 month old vehicle is not even showing up on the website:

Quote:
No Details found

The searched Vehicle Number is not found in the database of IIB, Please enter Chassis or Engine Number to search again. Even after providing the Chassis and Engine Number, if the message shows "The searched Vehicle Number is not found in the database of IIB", it is due to the following:
1. There is always a chance that the policy may be issued but that information has not been uploaded into the data repository as on the date of the query since there is a two months time lag between issuance of policy by insurer and submission to IIB.
2. There is also a chance that the policy might not have been issued. In that case the Querist may approach the concerned RTA for details of vehicle owner, address etc.

Also, I'm told that the prospective owners can check the vehicle's service history at the Maruti service stations with just a copy of the RC book and an authorization letter from the owner. But one service center I called yesterday said this was not possible. Should I try calling more dealers to find out if they'll let me? I wonder if this could be the way to do it if the IIB query doesn't work out.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This forum is just invaluable, really!
Also, I'm told that the prospective owners can check the vehicle's service history at the Maruti service stations with just a copy of the RC book and an authorization letter from the owner.
Thats what T-BHP stands for.
You can get the old service records from the owner himself. 9 months isnt a long period and service records would be handful only. If you arent getting any info from the website reg accident history, you can try calling the Insurance co and getting the needful information.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats what T-BHP stands for.
You can get the old service records from the owner himself. 9 months isnt a long period and service records would be handful only. If you arent getting any info from the website reg accident history, you can try calling the Insurance co and getting the needful information.
So simple and yet so smart! Have no idea why I didn't think of that though! Hopefully they'd be willing to provide it.

About the service history from the owner, I'm hesitant to ask for it because I couldn't be sure if all the service reports would be given to me or only some with the main repairs withheld, and because once I ask, I wouldn't be able to ask for the authorization letter.

I'm normally never this skeptical but considering I'm helping out a friend who trusts my opinion (it's really hard to find a good mechanic who's willing to travel out of the city to check the car out - it's almost a half-day trip), coupled with the fact that I'm finding the price to be a little too good to be true is making me all suspicious.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the service history from the owner, I'm hesitant to ask for it because I couldn't be sure if all the service reports would be given to me or only some with the main repairs withheld, and because once I ask, I wouldn't be able to ask for the authorization letter.
Dude, Shed the hesitation part. You are buying the vehicle and the owner is selling, so no one is doing any favours. If the deal is transperent both the parties can enjoy. You or your friend surely dont want to repent later right? So you can ask for the details without any inhibitions. Pls remember you can do so before the car is sold, once the car is sold no will entertain any issues.
Old 29th May 2014, 14:18   #10
BHPian

The price of the car is less due to the reason that it is out of production.Warranty and extended warranty is transferable. Just take the vehicle to any Maruti Authorized Service Center ,they can get the history by keying in information like vehicle registration number and chassis number. Any ownership issue , think you can check online with this link.
http://vahanonline.blogspot.in/2013/...ls-online.html

Last edited by commonman : 29th May 2014 at 14:27. Reason: typing error
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:26   #11
BHPian

Warranty from Maruti is transferable. But you only need to ensure that the car is not serviced outside other than Maruti Authorized stations. You please go to the nearest dealer and get the service history before buying the vehicle. If possible you may take a faithful mechanic along with you to inspect the car. Recommended to get the car inspected by lifting on the rack.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:03   #12
BHPian

We recently purchased a very similar configuration. Used A-Star (Automatic) from a Maruti True Value outlet in Bangalore.

The original buyer had purchased extended warranty for 4 years (IIRC). At the time of purchase it was very clearly told to us that this too would get transferred to us. The whole documentation takes time (about 4-5 weeks), but you are assured of the transfer.
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks