Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Gift - Swift LXi or VXi

I need suggestions... Swift LXi or VXi? I plan to gift one to my parents.

Consider these factors:
  • The car will be sparingly used (I expect to put more miles in the short 3-4 weeks I am there... then they would in a year).
  • Car will be Driver Driven (for the most part of the year)
Considering the above factors a family friend strongly suggested to go for LXi... he reasons there is not much of a difference and I will be paying the extra 30k for stuff that is not worth 30k. I had my mind set on VXi but now he got me all confused!

Also Price quotations that I got... GOOD or BAD?

This is for MUMBAI...
VXi
Price - 443925
Registration & Road Tax - 33900
Insurance - 16466
Extended Warranty - 2395
On Road Price - 496686
Discount (-) 16000
Net Price Rs.480686

LXi
Price - 416486
Registration & Road Tax - 31979
Insurance - 15506
Extended Warranty - 2395
On Road Price - 466366
Discount (-) 16000
Net Price Rs.450366

Old 4th August 2006, 05:49   #2
BHPian

If you can afford it, get the VXi. It will also have a better resale value than the LXi. The power windows alone can be a big blessing. You will also require the Left side ORVM especially on the swift because of the limited view you get on the inside rear view mirror.
Old 4th August 2006, 06:07   #3
BHPian

Go for the Swift Vxi, Lxi is too low frill for comfort
Old 4th August 2006, 08:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

bit OT, why a Swift if it was gonna be chaufferued?

Get VXi with ABS. Safer ( or only ZXi comes with ABS? )
Old 4th August 2006, 09:54   #5
BHPian

VXi . No-brainer. LXi doesnt even have headrests for rear seat passengers I guess. ABS is an option on VXi.
Old 4th August 2006, 09:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
I need suggestions... Swift LXi or VXi? I plan to gift one to my parents.

Consider these factors:
  • The car will be sparingly used (I expect to put more miles in the short 3-4 weeks I am there... then they would in a year).
  • Car will be Driver Driven (for the most part of the year)
Considering the above factors a family friend strongly suggested to go for LXi... he reasons there is not much of a difference and I will be paying the extra 30k for stuff that is not worth 30k. I had my mind set on VXi but now he got me all confused!

Also Price quotations that I got... GOOD or BAD?

This is for MUMBAI...
VXi
Price - 443925
Registration & Road Tax - 33900
Insurance - 16466
Extended Warranty - 2395
On Road Price - 496686
Discount (-) 16000
Net Price Rs.480686

LXi
Price - 416486
Registration & Road Tax - 31979
Insurance - 15506
Extended Warranty - 2395
On Road Price - 466366
Discount (-) 16000
Net Price Rs.450366

I would suggest you go for VXI, a 30K should not make a diff for you. As others said already, you will have a good resale value. Now no one wants to buy a car without basic needs like power windows and stuff like that.
Old 4th August 2006, 10:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Swift VXI is best choice for you, ask for 25K discount and If you gift it from MUL website online for NRI there should be more discounts, I heard MUL has gift a car from abroad scheme going on ...

Officially MUL has announced 20K gift cheque for Swift in bangalore now.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 4th August 2006, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

It has to be SWIFT VXI.

Power Windows
Central Locking
Fog Lamps
Tachometer
Light off-Key indicator
Seat belt warning
Head rests for backseat
L.REAR VIEW MIROR
Key not removed warning

Its worth more than that 30k

Last edited by Surprise : 4th August 2006 at 15:08.
Old 4th August 2006, 18:20   #9
BHPian

Thanks Everyone for your replies... VXi is what I will get!

Can someone comment on the price? Is this what everyone pretymuch pays for a VXi or is it over priced?

@Surprise - Thanks for pointing out the major differences that really helps!

@Ravibhat - Thanks for your reply, the prices are from the NRI website of Maruti (that's why I wanted to know if the prices are good or bad?)

@jkdas - Thanks for your reply and very Good questions!
Why Swift?
1) I am not there right now to shop around (i would have loved to shop around!!!) 2) I want it to be a surprise for my parents (so I cant ask them to look around) 3) Only Maruti at the moment gives the option of buying/gifting car from their site online (I think other companies ought to look in to this!)
Why without ABS?
I fully agree its more saffer in slipery conditions and hard braking situvations, I would definately buy it with ABS if it was for me.... but the car will be City driven (to take care of little chores) by our very safe driver... i dont really see a need for it, and cost wise its another 24k just for ABS. Besides this will be their 3rd car...
Old 4th August 2006, 18:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Do not underestimate the value of ABS. Twice I have had to brake hard in my OHC with tires locked, rubber burning, no control, grace of god, I/opp party (idiot) was saved.

In my swift zxi, only once I had to brake hard (other than test drive), silly indica suddenly cut hard in front from rhs and there was some water on the road. So I had to turn left and brake hard. ABS saved the day - I felt tires lock/unlock and it never lost any control, in spite of adverse road/turn condition.

I have really been spoiled by swift zxi, now I will never buy any car that does not have ABS and auto climate control.
Old 4th August 2006, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Do not underestimate the value of ABS.
Sandeep - I totally understand what you saying and i never underestimated ABS, it's just that i dont see a real need for it on a car that will only be driven in the city (at low speeds and stop and go traffic), regular brakes would just do fine. The other cars at home have abs and much more... this one will be strickly for short rides... I would really like to hear your thoughts on the price thou..
Old 5th August 2006, 12:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
Sandeep - I totally understand what you saying and i never underestimated ABS, it's just that i dont see a real need for it on a car that will only be driven in the city (at low speeds and stop and go traffic), regular brakes would just do fine. The other cars at home have abs and much more... this one will be strickly for short rides... I would really like to hear your thoughts on the price thou..
I went through same issues while considering vxi/zxi - never considered lxi actually. The dealer and his accessory fellow all gave various cost of making vxi-abs into zxi. But looking at the price differential that remained - about 15k after considering alloys, security system, etc. I realised that dealer/accessory fellow could never really make vxi into zxi since there were various small things - boot lock, seat belt/driver's seat height adjustment, etc. And for 15k more I was getting auto climate control and airbags and everything factory fitted with warranty/insurance. So value proposition of zxi really appealed.

The speed at which my incident occurred was just 40km/h and in city limits. Yes, for your case, since driver is driving (and probably may not realise abs pedal jerking), abs, etc. may not be as cost effective. Either way - your call. I just feel that if you are keeping car for 3-5 years, it is better to spend 25k on abs - just 5k per year ($100) for safety of yourself and others - and you cannot do an after market fitment at later stage, unlike, teflon, leather, film, stereo, etc.
Old 5th August 2006, 13:30   #13
BHPian

I also feel if ABS and airbags are available as an aoption do go in for that. It also helps while driving when you know you are in safe hands. I would suggest that you go in for an ABS and airbag version. No matter who is driving taking precaution isn't bad I guess.
Old 5th August 2006, 14:10   #14
BHPian

I bought a Swift Zxi primarily because of the Airbags and ABS. These are two features that you will rarely experience in action (hopefully never) but I consider them vital. I also feel that these features should be made mandatory for all cars in the country (and the world). Even if you drive slowly you have no control over the drunk driver who collides head on into your car at 80kph. Add that to your own probable speed of 40kph and you have a 120kph collision. Spend 40k on airbags and you'll walk out with some cuts and bruises and maybe a broken leg or arm. If you dont, and miraculously survive the accident, the hospital bills themselves will add up to the cost of several new cars. Not to mention the emotional trauma. (I'm speaking on this from personal experience)

Bonus features that I appreciate on the Zxi are the excellent climate control system, the fog lights and the LHS rear view mirror.

Things that make virtually no difference are the alloy wheels (they only look better and the performance impact on an 88 bhp compact car is insignificant) and the parcel tray. In fact I would recommend that if you're on a tight budget you can swap with any LXI owner who has steel wheels and make a few bucks in the exchange. You can also sell the parcel tray.

At the risk of being repetitive, I will summarize by saying that airbags and ABS are essential on this country's dangerous roads.

Last edited by theEnd : 5th August 2006 at 14:11.
Old 5th August 2006, 15:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a general misconception regarding the functioning of ABS system in vehicles. ABS is always working in car after a startup speed like 10 - 20kmph, depending on the design. every time you apply brakes it is working continiously applying and releasing the brakes tilll the car stops. thats why u feel a slight pulsating feeling on the pedal. as soon as the wheels start to lock it releases the brakes and reapplies after the wheel starts spinning. ABS is more of a necessity than a life saving device on our slippery roads.a car with locked wheel is that which is cause of major amount of accidents in indian roads.there remains no control once wheels get locked and it is here ABS starts functioning and let you have control of car..
airbags work on impact only, a last second life saver. if ABS is working airbags will not deploy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks