Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 01:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Replacement for my Tata Nano?

Hello,

Why don't you consider the Celerio or WagonR AMT? Being offered with an AMT, they will be very convenient for city use. Wagonr is pretty spacious too.

Don't get me wrong but I really doubt if the bolt or Tiago offer good city fuel economy figures, Simply because these cars are relatively heavy.

On the other hand, you should consider the Renault Kwid. It's a brilliant package. I suggest it's time to move on from a Nano, don't get me wrong but you paid Rs.X for your older nano and now you are paying Rs.1.3x for the same car. Sorry but that makes no sense to me especially when you have better cars in your budget.

Happy shopping!

Asit
Old 14th April 2016, 03:53   #32
BHPian

Re: Replacement for my Tata Nano?

Hello honeybee

Alto800
This car has been market leader for years and you cannot go wrong with it. It's reliable, efficient, cheap to run & own and offers high resale value.
Also, you will have sufficient resources to own two cars and keep your lease low.

Better options would be Rtiz or Swift
Test drive and evaluate. Haggle around, I am sure you will be able to extract some lucrative deal.
Believe me, Swift is one of the most practical hatchback. It's fun to drive, reliable and efficient.

May I suggest you to steer away from Tata? The two reasons are as follows
1. It's better to upgrade from Nano when you have the budget. Few years down the line, the extra won't pinch you.

2. The Tata isn't commonly known for Petrol engines. If you are looking to CNGed your ride, it's better to choose the reliable options.
Old 14th April 2016, 04:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Why don't you consider the Celerio or WagonR AMT? Being offered with an AMT, they will be very convenient for city use. Wagonr is pretty spacious too.

Don't get me wrong but I really doubt if the bolt or Tiago offer good city fuel economy figures, Simply because these cars are relatively heavy.

On the other hand, you should consider the Renault Kwid. It's a brilliant package. I suggest it's time to move on from a Nano, don't get me wrong but you paid Rs.X for your older nano and now you are paying Rs.1.3x for the same car.
Asit
The Nano AMT would any day be a better option than the Celerio or the Wagon R. The Wagon R is a good car but it is almost 1.5 times the price of the Nano AMT and achieves lower marks for fuel efficiency. In terms of space, you cannot complain in a Nano.
To be honest the new Nano is nothing like the old one. It is actually a very good product considering the price (I speak from experience )The only justification for not buying it would be the TASS. If the service quality is acceptable in the locality under consideration, there is very little reason to move away from the brand.
Tiago and Bolt are leagues ahead of any comparable Maruti product. The paint quality of the Bolt is really good. Interiors are almost I-20 grade. The FE might be lower in the city due to the higher weight, but safety and stability come at a cost.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 07:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

The options being suggested are worthy contenders, no doubt, however I have already owned and driven Maruti and Hyundai cars and am just looking if there are any other models which will fit the requirement better.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 08:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Replacement for my Tata Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The Nano AMT would any day be a better option than the Celerio or the Wagon R. The Wagon R is a good car but it is almost 1.5 times the price of the Nano AMT and achieves lower marks for fuel efficiency. In terms of space, you cannot complain in a Nano.

To be honest the new Nano is nothing like the old one. It is actually a very good product considering the price (I speak from experience )The only justification for not buying it would be the TASS. If the service quality is acceptable in the locality under consideration, there is very little reason to move away from the brand.

Tiago and Bolt are leagues ahead of any comparable Maruti product. The paint quality of the Bolt is really good. Interiors are almost I-20 grade. The FE might be lower in the city due to the higher weight, but safety and stability come at a cost.

Be it 1.5 times the price of a nano or twice, it fits in OP's budget then I see no problem.
And how different is the nano AMT? Does it have disc brakes upfront? Or does it offer you abs/airbags in an optional pack? Or the engine is more powerful than the last gen nano?

I don't think cosmetic changes and an addition of an AMT make it any different. It still is the same car with not so good braking and struggles with the AC on. OP has already managed all these things and thus he needs to move on and that's why he should consider other options. But let's leave that to him.

Maruti Offers the Celerio/wagonr with an (o) optional pack which comes with dual airbags and ABS which makes them pretty safe. Renault also offers the Kwid with an optional safety pack.

I have driven the Bolt extensively in the city and it didn't give us more than 11kmpl, which was bad for a turbo petrol. FYI, I manage 12-13kmpl in my Corolla on the same stretch.

For a CNG car, the WagonR with factory fitted CNG kit is a brilliant option.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 14th April 2016 at 08:09.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 09:50   #36
BHPian

I would suggest a Wagon R mid variant option or the Celerio. Being a nano owner and having owned a Wagon R in the past, I can vouch for the Wagon R's reliability. Nano owners have got used to the height and hence may find it difficult to get in and get out of other hatchbacks. Wagon R is the most practical and logical upgrade for Nano owners. Its height is a good feature. Also the engine is the same engine as Alto. You will find it easy to drive and better powered compared with Nano. Alto & Alto 800 are good work horses but I wont recommend it to you, because of the very poor ingress and egress.
Old 17th April 2016, 00:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
I think you should check out the Renault Kwid as well. The car is compact, well built, clearly more agile than Nano. Quality wise Renault is miles ahead of Nano/Tiago. It has good GC and a well sized boot compared to it's competition. It's well within your 5Lac budget.
While Tiago also seems to be a good proposition but one main factor you need to take in consideration is that the Tiago is still in its first generation and TATA will take it's own sweet time to correct niggles/glitches if any as and when the customers report it. Had it been in its second/third gen it would have been the best replacement for your Nano.
Kwid is lighter than a Nano despite being bigger- A big compromise on metal could be possible. Tiago is a segment higher cannot compare them.

True that TATA takes some time to correct them, but I think experience has taught them well. Zest is a good example

I have used TATA's first car, the estate. Till a few years back TATA's paradigm was to keep costs low and the mechanicals alone was considered, aesthetics and refinement were in the back burner. With products like Zest, it's changing but still not on par with global palyers.

Is the Kwid better than Nano ?, maybe yes.

Is the Kwid a replacement for nano, probably not because by rule of thumb a car from a higher segment should be considered.
Old 17th April 2016, 08:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Kwid and came away impressed. If I had to have just one car, it would be right there on top with the Nano. The engine is eager, the car compact and getting in and out of the driver's seat is much easier than in the Nano as the steering angle is a little more.

The only hitch is the price. With 5L on road for the RXT model it is difficult to see the additional benefits of spending around 2L more than the GenX Nano.
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you have a 5 lakh budget, it's time to upgrade. You've experienced the Nano enough and I disagree with other BHPians suggesting the same car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Test drove the Kwid and came away impressed. If I had to have just one car, it would be right there on top with the Nano. The engine is eager, the car compact and getting in and out of the driver's seat is much easier than in the Nano as the steering angle is a little more.

The only hitch is the price. With 5L on road for the RXT model it is difficult to see the additional benefits of spending around 2L more than the GenX Nano.
Firstly some key points to note are - you fine to spend upto 5 lakhs and CNG is not a mandatory requirement.

If and only if both the above points are an YES then Kwid makes a great choice for the replacement car. It is a great package, has good usable space, much more powerful considering (BHP/Tonne read the official review) and one of the most competent entry level hatches around.

So IMO pitting it against a Nano GenX (yes it a very competent car on its own) only on price would not be apple to apple comparison.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3825056

However if you would not like to stretch upto 5 lakhs and would not mind losing some bells and whistles, you can opt for the second variant RXL which comes with a power steering at around 4 lakhs. The extra power in a way would compensate for the loss of some features that one may experience (sorry this time its not an apple to apple comparison )
Old 4th May 2016, 06:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

So far zero interest from Tata Motors to sell me anything. After the initial enquiry and a promise to arrange a test drive of the Tiago in response to my online request, nothing has materialized.

On the other hand Renault followed up with another call last week even as I was out of country.

Yes, they may not be apple to apple, but it would be good if the total price is less, as it still goes out of my pocket. But again, price is not the sole criterion.
Old 7th May 2016, 23:24   #41

You have mentioned you are not interested in maruti and hyundai ones. But I would still suggest you test drive the Hyundai Eon once. It depends on personal preference but I hope you might like the hyundai driving dynamics.

Just push it around a little , more than you would do with a nano. (not that I have anything against Nano , its a great practical car but still would strongly discourage choosing the same car twice)
Old 8th May 2016, 03:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The Nano has completed 3.5 years and 60k kms. ......

So now I am thinking of looking for a replacement.
The car would be my primary daily commute car and must be reliable. Also the running will be under 60kms in a day, five days a week, almost 90% solo.
Considering your usage pattern and years of usage of your current car, one of the options could be going for the E2O electric car.

Mahindra quotes a high price of about 7L on road, but I've heard that there is plenty of room for negotiation and the cost can come down by 1.5L.
It has a longer 120 KM range per charge, with option to lease the battery and is much more spacious (4 seater) than the earlier Reva model.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th May 2016 at 03:53.
Old 8th May 2016, 16:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had test driven the Reva and the E20 both. The new car is silent barring the blower which makes a terrible racket.

Also even after factoring in a discount, the car and the charging infrastructure will be a bit out of my budget. Not to mention negotiations with the leasing company.

The GenX Nano is again in the print ads with attractive discounts. It's going to be that or the Kwid now.

Last edited by honeybee : 8th May 2016 at 16:40.
Old 8th May 2016, 17:47   #44
BHPian

As much as you are trying to avoid Maruti, Hyundai, for A and B segments they are very good buys.

To me the Wagon R seems like a natural upgrade.

And if you still like the genX nano package, go ahead. My uncle just keeps buying Wagon R 's . There's no other car that fulfills his needs.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Finally the Fortune car people showed up with a Tiago. Test drove the car. With the steering adjustment and seat height adjustment, it is actually easier to get in or out without the steering wheel brushing against my thighs (a boon considering the pockets usually carry a wallet and a mobile phone).

The biggest disappointment was the Revotron Eco mode. In the short drive on the Thane Nashik route the Eco mode was dangerously inadequate for any kind of overtaking. I felt even the City mode was not as peppy as the Nano's stock engine, so you can guess what the Eco mode must have felt like. The sales advisor did mention that the Eco mode was more suited for cruising on empty stretches than for daily drive through traffic.

There are no discounts on the Tiago, but the Nano seems to be carrying a good amount by way of exchange bonuses.

A surprise was some guy from Carwale.com called up for the Nano and promised to get a test drive vehicle. No follow up, but it is interesting that the online portal is interested in selling me a car.

With the test drives of some of the contenders, I need to reassess my requirements and zero down on the most appropriate car that meets them.

I am thinking of replacing my Nano purely for saving some income tax by way of the car lease provided by my company. I already have another sedan for outstation trips with my family, so the replacement car would be solely for office use and occasional local trips. What matters most is a chilling AC, ability to squeeze through gaps in traffic and ease of parking almost anywhere where an empty space is available.

Also the EMIs would still be out of my pocket, so I need to watch the OTR price (which incidentally is capped at 5L for me) and keep it within sane limits. So the new car may not necessarily be an upgrade. Also options such as the WagonR or the Brio, no doubt better and bigger than the Nano, would just not fit in my budget.

With Renault halting the production of the Kwid along with the long waiting periods and zero discounts, the possibility is getting bleaker. Tiago doesn't cut it with its performance and price (the middle variant is barely above the cap, so I may have to settle for a much lower variant which loses some goodies). So the remaining serious contenders are the Nano again and the Datsun.

The Nissan sales person called up yesterday to apologize and said there are a lot of walkins for the Redi-Go, so we are trying to set up a TD tomorow. In all probability if the Go doesn't work out, I might just go for the Nano again.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks