Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

As far as I believe, Aveo/Optra are not actually Chervolet products.. Daewoo cars is now owned by GM and thus the products OPtra/Aveo came under GM tag. As GM has stopped Opel brand so you can find Optra/Aveo under Chervolet (GM's flagship in India).

Technology wise, I dont know whether FIAT and GM has the same qulity/advance tech in theire cars. GM has aquired so many brands and their proecsses. Recently I read in a magazine/news paper that GM claims Corsa has better ride quality than CRV and Accords. Indeed a funny statement.. At least for those who have driven both the cars..

Ok now without shuffling through the original post, Plaio 1.6 is a worth buy.. You are getting 70 K dic.. and thats enuf to get Plaio 1.6 with "imported engine".

Cheers
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:55   #17

Neoonwheels I also beleive the best babe in town is fiat palio not only be coz of my research but becoz of the feel.....the shortcomings it has are sad interiors/resale and services.....lot of asking is proving that services are really improving.....resale in second hand market has also shot up a bit and ...we can also improve the interiors..........what matters is performance where palio is 5 stars..........now after a facelift all hatchbacks including palio/Aveo UA are plannig to exploit the discount in tax by govt on cars below 1.2 lt..........so all cars have plans to have a cosmetic facelift and reduce power making the monsters weak at heart..........so one thing is for sure...wont see any changes to palio 1.6 atleast !!..........dont u thing new facelifts in all companies will actually demoralize the beast in us !!
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, FIAT is planning for Palio 1.1L which personally I feel will be a worst decision. Palio's weight is over a ton and 1.1L engine is not that much capable of unless they put more torque rather than high speed, otheriwse driving a ton beast using 1.1L engine would be a disaster.. Dont know about whether they are going to keep 1.6 in stable..

I just love the current Palio looks and 1.6 engine... FIAT still imports this 1.6 engine rather than building it here.. Now As far as I believe, even you are getting "Palio"ied....

Cheers
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!!
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have a number of friends in bangalore,who have gone in for second hand cars[like zen] until they have settled in with the bangalore traffic conditions and they feel confident to drive.If you are going for a Second hand car prefer to stick to maruti only.

Ps: Zen may not be that good an option for you, especially now that it is going to be dicontinued..

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 3rd October 2006 at 21:18.
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nothing matches Palio 1.6. Palio is a car that looks gr8 from any view. There is nothin wrong in the car except the interior (blue colour and fire proof) .

Palio is the king until and unless swift sports will be launched. But after swift sports launch also palio will be always be peoples love coz nothing matches the intalian power and the looks of palio. Look at swift back end. Looks like a mama got fat or somehting.

No offence to swift owners. Swift front looks sure are hot. May be hotter than palio too.

Back to question. IMHO you should go for a Maruti car or hyundai coz as you a first time owner and you really need to have a good After sales. Fiat Afetr sales is not bad but current palios life span is almost at end and spares can be the biggest problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels
The most comic thing is, ppl who curse Palio have not driven the car at all.. Palio 1.6 is STILL way ahead than the other hatches available in India.

Last edited by abhibh : 3rd October 2006 at 22:18.
Old 4th October 2006, 01:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Buddy just get a swift...trust all of us who have said so!!
Old 4th October 2006, 10:48   #22
BHPian

Be it handling or clearance of swift. Both are pretty good. Only problem is that it is so broad, no as comfortable to drive in traffic like 800/alto etc.
However its the one of the best cars to practise driving, if you are planning to go for a BIG car 2-3 years from now
Old 4th October 2006, 17:48   #23

thanks a lot guys for the great feedbacks !! This forum rocks !! Now I have tranculized my heart n thought whole day with big bro Brain........here are the results : )

-My reqr was a good B segement hatchback which now me n later on my wife (when i get married : ) can also tame

- I m not in terrible hurry for a car........means i can wait for precious moments

-Palio 1.6 is a great car but is like a white elephant with too many uncertainities(remember this is my brain speaking).........so new palio 1.6 out of question as new car

-Usability point of view swift/getz equally score but buying them new now will rob me of evaluating so many hatchback being launched in 2007 begnning like aveo UVS, spark, n one from mahindra too.

-Buying a second hand zen now is good option as it is powerful (most preffered in 1.1 segemnt in drags) and has the max resale value even if it is phased out !!

-Now coming back to palio 1.6 if i can get a 2nd hand 2003 model with 30k running palio for 2 lacs........people said i can really get it in such rates........it will be a steal as in 2 yrs selling it will give max depreceation off 50 k or even less if fiat clicks.

So i can conclude that I will search high and low for next two days in all shops n see if i can get a good zen/palio 1.6 deal.........if not i guess i have to wait for one : (

Guys please tell me if this logic makes any sense to u.........if yes gimme some tips on the best bet if not suggest me wht else n why !!

Thanks for ur valuable feedback

Abhi

PS : I m getting a 2005 santro XG, 15k run, for 3.15 lac is it a good deal ??
Old 4th October 2006, 18:17   #24

thanks a lot guys for the great feedbacks !! This forum rocks !! Now I have tranculized my heart n thought whole day with big bro Brain........here are the results : )

-My reqr was a good B segement hatchback which now me n later on my wife (when i get married : ) can also tame

- I m not in terrible hurry for a car........means i can wait for precious moments

-Palio 1.6 is a good car but is like a white elephant (remember this is my brain speaking).........so new palio 1.6 out of question as new car

-Usability point of view swift/getz equally score but buying them new now will rob me of evaluating so many hatchback being launched in 2007 begnning like aveo UVS, spark, n one from mahindra too.

-Buying a second hand zen now is good option as it is powerful (most preffered in 1.1 segemnt in drags) and has the max resale value even if it is phased out !!

-Now coming back to palio 1.6 if i can get a 2nd hand 2003 model with 30k running palio for 2 lacs........people said i can really get it in such rates........it will be a steal as in 2 yrs selling it will give max depreceation off 50 k or even less if fiat clicks.

So i can conclude that I will search high and low for next two days in all shops n see if i can get a good zen/palio 1.6 deal.........if not i guess i have to wait for one : (

Guys please tell me if this logic makes any sense to u.........if yes gimme some tips on the best bet if not suggest me wht else n why !!

Thanks for ur valuable feedback

Abhi

PS : I m getting a 2005 santro XG, 15k run, for 3.15 lac is it a good deal ??
Old 4th October 2006, 21:44   #25
BHPian

M800

Many of folks who have upgraded to B,C,D.... grade, started with the humble 800, including Sachin Tendulkar.

For just under 2.5L or a second hard for around 1.5L (on road) you can also have one.

Whats good about the M800 is low cost of ownership, fuel efficiency, convenience and high resale value. Even with the air-conditioner on, this car can give you 13-14 kilometres per litre of petrol. You can rip it off as you like, gets your hands on the mechanics ...good to learn the basics and then sell it off. M800 has been first chioce for First Car for many.

I really don't suggets Alto, because Alto is much better product and it's not worth to sell after just 2 years.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelguts
Now coming back to palio 1.6 if i can get a 2nd hand 2003 model with 30k running palio for 2 lacs........people said i can really get it in such rates........it will be a steal as in 2 yrs selling it will give max depreceation off 50 k or even less if fiat clicks.
Exactly what my analysis would have been had I been in your position. I would have taken the chance with a used GTX - of course would have tried to get it as cheap as possible, to keep the option of changing in the next year or two, if necessary.
Old 5th October 2006, 19:52   #27
BHPian

How about this:-

1) Buy a second hand M800 for < 1L.
2) Keep it for one year.
3) During this one year learn proper driving and other automabile aspect. 4) Sell M800 ( No need though, you can keep it as a utility vehicle)
5) Also after/within a year almost all new upcoming hatches will be available. So you will have lot of verity and by then you will have better understaing of automobile.
Old 5th October 2006, 20:51   #28
BHPian

Abhishake,

welcome to t-bhp. have u considered an alto or a santro. the santro is quite comfortable to drive and the maintenance costs are low. In addition, since u're still new to driving and the bangalore roads are so crowded, any dents (god forbid) will be cheaper to repair. Several friends in similar situations who have bought these cars are very happy with their choice.

Happy car hunting. There are enuff people here who can help u get a good deal when buying a car with the right advice and contacts.

Cheers
Spyder
Old 5th October 2006, 23:00   #29

Hi BHpites !!

Ajay! U know my parents had made the exact suggestion for the M800........its really a practical approach but here my brain also defies the M800 for 1>Its almost a toy : ) n 2)there is no real need to learn a M800 i think a kid can drive it........why i need a second hand car is to get expertise in handling horses and doing all experiments which i cannot afford with a new car !!..........I feel real sad why we indian are deprived of bhp be it car or bikes : (

Jathin ! I had also considered wagonr as a good option n new wagonR has really improved in terms of the breadbox look n the LPG but how much difference will a company fitted lpg make ?? Did u find any difference from rto aproved lpg in terms of pick up/performance ??

well guys i m going to search for a second hand car by tuesday n it remains to zen/palio1.6..........please gimme some tips or banglorites some good contacts on buing one

thanks in advance

abhi
Old 5th October 2006, 23:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelguts
- 50 hrs of driving in an Alto
-I m in love with powerful/strudy cars like SUVs
-Intend to keep it for 6 yrs if new or 2 yrs if old

Abhishake

Abhishake,I know you are a bit shaky now ,kidding dude but Team-bhp will definitely help you out.
I would say its always better for a newbie to buy a second car,mostly a hatchback.It should be reasonably powerful.I say reasonably powerful,because more power usually means less fuel efficieny.Basically what i mean is that your first car should have a bit of everything and yet be cheap to buy.So your first car will let you know your preferences in a car over a period of time and will eventually help you in selecting your next car.
My choice would be a second hand FIAT Palio 1.2. Now why did I suggest that car?Its because the car as an overall product is much better than any other small hatch.You prefer the Palio because of its heavy built and the secure feeling.Apart from that,its a good family car,is spacious,it rides and handles very well,it is solidly engineered,it is reasonably powerful and reasonably fuel efficient,the spares are not very expensive since most of the engine is made locally.So it does a bit of everything.And the best part-it will cost you less than an Alto of a similar vintage,ie around 1.5 lakhs!The A.S.S may not be upto the mark,but its definitely getting better.I've experienced it myself.But you get so much car for your money that A.S.S factor can be ignored.Thankfully,the car itself is quite trustworthy and is a longtermer.So like you've mentioned,keep the car for a year or two and then decide on a brand new car.
If you want a first hand,i'd say the new wagon R or Santro are good,safe choices.I hope I've been of some help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks