Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 11:49   #1

Folks,

I am a newbie to this forum and since this is my first post a little bit of introduction about me. I am from Mumbai and stay in Andheri. A daily commuter to work during peak traffic hours. I have been mainly considering the Swift or the Esteem but have not been able to decide firmly on one. some factors that I have been considering are -

Usage : I would be mostly using the car on the weekends on long drives. Commuting to work from Andheri would be a BIG NO except on a few rare occasions (I hope). I guess on an avg I would do 300 - 500 kms per month.
FE : This seems to work against the Swift. But would it matter much for the usage pattern above ?
Boot space : Esteem seems to have better boot spacce than the swift
Looks: Swift kills
Stability / Ground clearance : Swift seems to be better.
Budget : Around 5L. The cheaper the better

what do you experts think ?

cheers !
Old 13th October 2006, 14:04   #2
BHPian

If you are not particular about the boot, swift is definitely a better buy. In case of sedans, you should also look at other options (in the same price range) like Ikon flair. And if you are an enthusiastic driver, esteem is a good option for you.
One more thing, dont forget to take a test drive of all the cars you are interested.

Last edited by sivadas : 13th October 2006 at 14:05.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Forget abt esteem... its too dated now... Just a wanna be big car these days. Choose b/w Swift and the Flair. If aint too finicky abt boot space go for swift, its a better bet in our traffic conditions.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the rear seat isnt going to be used heavily, then go with the Swift. You might want to take a test drive of the Getz too since the rear seat isnt too cramped.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:49   #5

Quote:
And if you are an enthusiastic driver, esteem is a good option for you.
Thanks a lot guys for your replies.
Sivdas, Does the above quote mean Esteem is good for long drives ?
Also what about the resale value for Swift / Esteem ?
I have also seen some ads today (TOI) regarding discount offers on Swift but NOT from authorised Maruti dealers. Is it safe to buy a new Maruti car from an unauthorised dealer ?

cheers !
Old 13th October 2006, 16:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi BSM3477,

If you are not particular about boot space and rear seat space go for Swift VXI its good value buy, it has good road presence, premium hatchback (it has safe, refined engine, advanced system in it) at least as told by Maruti guys, you can try Getz, Palio too. IF you need car with boot with less maintenance cost go for Petra , Accent , Verna (If your budget suits). Esteem is too outdated right now for new car buying, but its still good buy since it has prooven track record of great old engine.

In couple of months there might be new look ZEN (looks great at least for eyes), Petra, pailo, Aveo UVA, Getz, may be few more cars to be launched, if you can wait till that time it might be good wait.

PS be sure to check out offers with Palio, Swift, Getz, Accent this week you can save 20 to 50K on these cars at least. Be sure to test drive the cars you liked and make a decision.
Old 13th October 2006, 16:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

In the resale value department at present the Swift has a higher value than the esteem. And what are these unauthorised dealers. I dont think there are any. I think what you are talking about are the used car dealers.
Old 13th October 2006, 18:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm3477
I have also seen some ads today (TOI) regarding discount offers on Swift but NOT from authorised Maruti dealers. Is it safe to buy a new Maruti car from an unauthorised dealer ?
cheers !
No, I didn't mean that. Due to to its light body and skinny tyres you dont feel confident on highways(compared to swift and many other cars).
But esteem engine is very responsive and it is a fast car.
Old 14th October 2006, 06:45   #9
BHPian

I had to make a similar decision a year back and finally I went for SWIFT. The factors that have influenced me towards SWIFT are the following:

Definitely SWIFT's stunning looks ... and Esteem ... it is a pretty old boring looks.
Being compact and powerful, the city drive with SWIFT is really a swift
SWIFT has an enhanced engine and its performance on the highways is awesome.

My suggestion is, unless you need that much boot space, one should go for SWIFT (between Esteem and SWIFT)
Old 14th October 2006, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm3477
I have also seen some ads today (TOI) regarding discount offers on Swift but NOT from authorised Maruti dealers.
Quote:
Is it safe to buy a new Maruti car from an unauthorised dealer ?
cheers !
are there any unauthorised buyers ? none that i know of. if anyone is saying that he is one, then he must be a financier or something like that. but please do not buy from these guys. only buy from Maruti Authorised dealers. there are way too many risks buying elsewhere, even if available.
Old 15th October 2006, 13:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Out of the eteem and the swift,the winner is the swift.But be warned if your long drives means a lot of luggage too then the swift boot may prove insufficient.

Could you give more information about whether bootspace is a priority for your future car?

Ps:The perfect car for you would have been if still available the palio 1.6[good highway car,engine performance and its present price].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 15th October 2006 at 13:29.
Old 15th October 2006, 13:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

well i suggest u go in for the swift...gr8 cars its definetly a modern day car....go for a test drive of both the swift and the esteem...get a feel of both the cars....there is no problem buying a car from unauthorised dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks