Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2006, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Choices, choices!

Hi All,

I have a choice between choosing a 2004 Hyundai Accent and a 2004 Indica DLS (Diesel). Both have been run about 40000 kms. My running currently is limited to about 10 Kms. a day, but it could go up to about 20 Kms a day. My primary considerations are as follows:

1. Hassle free car
2. Low maintenance
3. Good mileage
4. Low cost of spare parts (in that order)

The Indica is maintained well and has new tyres. The hyundai however, is beat up from the outside and will need an investment of 20 K for it to look brand new. The engine and running is fine as both cars have been used within my extended family. The money is not an issue as most probably, I will not have to pay for the car (although I have really offered and insisted). Also, can I fit a CNG kit to the accent? Or does my low usage not warrant this. I am particularly attracted to the Indica as it is diesel and hence cheaper to run. Can the 'gurus' please guide?
Old 16th December 2006, 22:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You've not indicated if the Accent is petrol/diesel. If petrol then go for it - 2nd hand cars shud ideally not be diesel; diesel engines being more expensive to maintain as they age. Even otherwise go in for the Hyundai since you've mentioned hassle-free ownership as your primary objective.

CNG/LPG can be fitted if its a petrol car only.

Last edited by theMAG : 16th December 2006 at 22:42.
Old 16th December 2006, 23:01   #3
BHPian

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. The accent in question is a petrol version
Old 16th December 2006, 23:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

shekharlele, let me first congratulate you on being offered a choice of 2 cars. i guess some people are born lucky. take the accent, specially if it is petrol, since your daily commute is very very less.
Old 17th December 2006, 00:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

And honestly, I wouldnt recommend fitting of LPG....

The Accent without a doubt. Much more spacious, refined and of course, safer..
Old 17th December 2006, 02:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

well according to your writeup on the indica..i would suggest the indica over the accent on this issue as it seems that the accent has had a shunt..20k for it looking brand new again..as in major denting????...work needed on the inside also???
Old 17th December 2006, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Yeah, the accent will need major denting and repair work on the outside (no major accident, just some severe scratches on the side). Also, as an hypothesis, if I were to opt for the Indica, how would the car be in terms of servicing and spares issue. This would also be my first diesel car (I own a Fiat Uno and a Santro Xing), is it true that diesels create massive maintenance issues or is that just hearsay? Do you reckon I would have to spend a lot of money on the indica? (It has been regularly serviced and maintained so far...)
Old 17th December 2006, 17:03   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interesting situation. Couple of points:

1. You dont need diesel / CNG / LPG economy. Your running is barely 600 kms a month.

2. Is there a price differential between the two?

3. You specified a hassle free car; that straight away points to the Accent. Not only will it last longer and be much less problematic but Hyundai service stations keep their customers much happier than their Tata counterparts. Think of it this way. After spending 20 grand on the Accent, you have a car thats looking for new.

4. Your profile indicates that you already have two hatchbacks. Why resist from upgrading to a sedan?

Please do ascertain that you use the guide on buying used cars from the Team-BHP Articles section.
Old 17th December 2006, 17:56   #9
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Thanks for the response. The situation is actually like this:

1. Both cars belong to my father in law
2. He wants to sell them now and buy some better cars, anyways both these cars were used to ferry kids and some office work
3. Since I did'nt know he would also be selling the accent, I said I would like the Indica, now it seems he also wants to sell the accent
4. I have offered him some price for the Indica which he refuses to accept saying it's all in the family, so would it look bad if I now asked him for the accent (I am assuming he'd get a better resale value for it)
5. A rather catch 22 if you ask me....

Just wondering kya karoon....
Old 17th December 2006, 23:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

i guess Team-BHP cannot help you on that. 22 or 69..
Old 18th December 2006, 10:58   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Both cars belong to my father in law
Your FIL!!! In that case, dont pay him a dime and pick both the cars up for free. You are already managing a high-maintainence product of his

Just kidding. I think its best you speak to him honest and tell him of your preference for the Accent.
Old 18th December 2006, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Accent

Hi,
I would go for the accent...if i had a choice like yours.
Lolz Nice comment GTO ..Ha ha ha ha.
Old 18th December 2006, 11:26   #13
BHPian

"Your FIL!!! In that case, dont pay him a dime and pick both the cars up for free. You are already managing a high-maintainence product of his" good one gto totally

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks