Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 16:29   #1
BHPian

Choosing between the i10, Jazz, i20 and WR-V?

Last year I booked Baleno but had to cancel the booking in January as I felt the build quality was flimsy. This I read not only in the TBHP reviews but some of my colleagues had similar experience on this. So it has been more than one year I am doing without a car. Took test drive of Honda WRV and Grand i10 Asta day before. I will be taking a test drive of Jazz this week.

Much of my driving will be on highways for long drives and less in Bangalore. As I use two wheeler for my daily office commute, the car will be used in the city only during weekends or for occasional errands. I have ruled out diesel due to the possible phasing out of diesel cars by the governments and NGT in future. I can compromise slightly on fuel efficiency but ride quality, service quality, interiors and hassle free maintenance are priority as I intend to keep the car for long. We are a family of three - so space is not a big constraint but larger boot space is needed.

One major constraint has been the parking space in my apartment - 4075 mm (length) X 2325 mm (width), so sub 4 meter cars can just fit into the parking lot.

Head says Grand i10 Asta can just be fine for my requirements, or Jazz also for that matter, but heart says WRV, i20 Elite or Ford Ecosport.

TBHPians, please help me with my choice.
Old 9th April 2018, 17:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Choosing between the i10, Jazz, i20 and WR-V?

You didn't mention your earlier/current car. Your handle says that it was (or it is) Alto LXI. IMHO, an Alto to I10 is not an upgrade as far as space is a concern.

If budget is not a restraint than I strongly suggest to think about an upgrade to a bigger hatch or crossover or C-SUV. Of course a sub 4meter option. As you mentioned that you are going to TD Jazz. I am sure you will like WR-V lying on the same floor at Honda showroom and you"ll end up TDing a WR-V. That's what exactly happened to me and my dad some 20 days back. We TDed a WR-V, Dad loved it and we booked it. Have a look at my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...edit-wr-v.html

Ours was a decision made by the heart, just because my dad and wife were in the equation. In your case, I strongly suggest to take brief TDs of Ecosports. Ecosports is an amazing product, which ticks all your boxes.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 17:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
You didn't mention your earlier/current car. Your handle says that it was (or it is) Alto LXI. IMHO, an Alto to I10 is not an upgrade as far as space is a concern.
Yes you got it right. My earlier car was Alto LXI which I drove for 11 years. Except for all the bells and whistles, i10 feels similar to Alto, hence the dilemma.

Quote:
If budget is not a restraint than I strongly suggest to think about an upgrade to a bigger hatch or crossover or C-SUV. Of course a sub 4meter option. As you mentioned that you are going to TD Jazz. I am sure you will like WR-V lying on the same floor at Honda showroom and you"ll end up TDing a WR-V.
Jazz was not available on the day I took a TD of WRV. The SA is willing to bring the car to my house this week so that I can check the parking in our basement. I took WRV test drive and took an immediate liking for the car

Quote:
That's what exactly happened to me and my dad some 20 days back. We TDed a WR-V, Dad loved it and we booked it. Have a look at my thread.
Thanks for posting your experience. I have gone through the thread and this further makes me go for a C SUV.

Quote:
Ours was a decision made by the heart, just because my dad and wife were in the equation. In your case, I strongly suggest to take brief TDs of Ecosports. Ecosports is an amazing product, which ticks all your boxes.
Sure I will do it this week.
Old 9th April 2018, 18:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Head says Grand i10 Asta can just be fine for my requirements, or Jazz also for that matter, but heart says WRV, i20 Elite or Ford Ecosport.
While the Hyundai and Honda twins you have mentioned here has more or less the same engine performance, I would suggest you making the plunge towards the EcoSport. As you mentioned highway driving is one of the objectives, the Titanium+ variant with the 6 airbags, ABS, EBD and all the safety equipments one needs from a highway performer at this price point should suffice your needs, and it also has the good horsepower which puts it ahead of all the other compact SUVs.

Apart from the cars that you have mentioned, I would also suggest you to take a look at the Tata Nexon, as I would have gone with the same

Happy shopping

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 9th April 2018 at 18:38.
Tanveer02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 18:48   #5
BHPian

If your budget covers EcoSport, I would say go for it. It is well engineered car with all safety package crucial for highway runs. Sorted dynamics, well built, more than adequate GC, and fun to drive by CUV standards. New 1.5 ltr petrol engine has good reviews too. It ticks all your requirements. Just ensure, the spare wheel placement is not a concern while parking at your place.

I will advice against Hyundai here as 1.2 ltr Petrol mill is not great in comparison to competition, for highway runs.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 19:22   #6
BHPian

Among the options - choose between the i20 and WR-V. Check out the Jazz if you need an automatic transmission.

Check out the Ford EcoSport too. The upcoming Honda Amaze could also be worth waiting for.
Old 9th April 2018, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Much of my driving will be on highways for long drives and less in Bangalore.
I can compromise slightly on fuel efficiency but ride quality, service quality, interiors and hassle free maintenance are priority as I intend to keep the car for long.
Hi,

First of all, I would strongly advice you to avoid the EcoSport. While many members have suggested to go for EcoSport given its dynamics, build quality (your priority) and engine, this C-SUV will leave you disappointed with its rear seat space and ride quality (if you opt for loaded variants with 17-inchers). Now I see you've also got a limited parking space. In this case, the EcoSport isn't good on visibility either with thick pillars. Also, Ford isn't exactly known for hassle free maintenance (in terms of service reach and not experience)

Since you are going for a petrol car, Honda's i-VTEC and Maruti's K-Series (in that order) should be on top of your wishlist and Hyundai's Kappa as well if you're going for i10 and happy with its dynamics.

I would suggest waiting it out for the 2018 Amaze. If the current version is anything to go by, the new one will have good enough cabin space, peppy motor, large boot (as compared to some hatchbacks you're considering) and a nice recline angle of the backseat.

Moreover, going for a compact sedan or C-SUV is strongly justified in your case as you're upgrading after 11 long years and plan to keep the car for long. And that is one reason I would recommend not going for the Grand i10.

Why not considering the Dzire? Build quality, is it?
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 23:27   #8
BHPian

Have driven all the cars mentioned here except the dragon series EcoSport and yes the Baleno is light. I have seen the interiors not aging very well if not cared for. The i10 is loaded and well built but somehow it feels disconnected.

I made my neighbour buy an ignis over other Maruti's as I felt it's little bit more substantial in terms of build. The plastics inside and the ultra light steering is a downer for sure. You can try if you wish.

Test drive extensively the wrv and the dragon EcoSport. Have driven the last gen 1.5 petrol and it was a decent performer.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 08:38   #9
BHPian

I would recommend that you wait for a couple of months when Ford will announce the Figo facelift. That would be a fun to drive car, with a powerful engine under the hood.

Another car to check when you visit Honda, is Honda Amaze. Lower and mid variants of Jazz are not very well equipped, but that's likely to change with Amaze, and we should get pretty decent S and SV variants. The car will be fresh, and have oodles of space.

I would not recommend going for any C-SUV. Visibility is a concern, and given your small parking space, it will definitely not be easy to park. Additionally in Ecosport, while it officially is under 4m, the tyre in the bonnet is not included in that.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 10:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Choosing between the i10, Jazz, i20 and WR-V?

Quote:
I can compromise slightly on fuel efficiency but ride quality, service quality, interiors and hassle free maintenance are priority as I intend to keep the car for long.
Would strongly suggest the Elite i20. It's the benchmark amongst premium hatchbacks and is quite an all-rounder. You'll be very pleased with the overall quality & finesse of the car.

Quote:
Since you keep your cars for long, pick a model that is 'better than something meeting your requirements'. The better the car, the more you'll enjoy it over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
As you mentioned highway driving is one of the objectives, the Titanium+ variant with the 6 airbags, ABS, EBD and all the safety equipments one needs from a highway performer at this price point should suffice your needs, and it also has the good horsepower which puts it ahead of all the other compact SUVs.
Seconded! Either the i20 or the EcoSport.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 10:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Of the cars, you have shortlisted, go for the Elite i20 Asta (option) , blind folded. It will suit all your requirements. You get the basic safety features, all of the creature comforts, Hyundai reliability and hassle free maintenance. Get pampered.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 11:26   #12
BHPian

You can also check on the newly to be launched Ford freestyle which i believe will tick all your requirements. Recent reviews from various Auto Mags are also positive and hope that they will be priced just 50K+ to the existing Figo.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...tive-21657.htm
Old 10th April 2018, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Highway drive - Blindfolded go for the most safe car among the options available. Go for 6 airbags. Ecosport fits your requirement but as somebody has pointed out 17inch wheels make the ride very bumpy. Elite I20 is no polo in build but fully loaded variants and safe driving should compensate.
Old 10th April 2018, 15:05   #14
BHPian

IMO you can avoid Jazz and opt for WRV. Since, much of your driving will be on weekends and mileage is not a concern you can straight away opt for Elite i20 or Ecosport. Elite i20 is still doing great numbers and the car is indeed an "ELITE" car.
Old 10th April 2018, 15:44   #15
BHPian

As an owner of Elite i20, I would say consider i20 Active first. It is available in top trim in petrol which wasn't the case at launch. The extra 20 mm ground clearance comes in handy many a times. And the plastic moulding that protrudes quite a bit and will absorb many a nicks and dings over the years.

Choosing between the i10, Jazz, i20 and WR-V?-i20active.png

Quote:
Much of my driving will be on highways for long drives and less in Bangalore.
Just drive the petrol to see if you find it adequate for highway runs. Just don't drive the diesel afterwards!

Quote:
One major constraint has been the parking space in my apartment - 4075 mm (length) X 2325 mm (width), so sub 4 meter cars can just fit into the parking lot.

Ecosport is not a sub 4m SUV actually, at least in India. I don't know the exact rule, but the measurement of length in India excludes the spare mounted on the tailgate. So, you might want to check if Ecosport fits the parking space with the spare.

Edit: A new and pretty promising alternative, at-least on paper, as Johnnny mentioned is Ford Freestyle.
Edit2 :Whoa! Freestyle offers ESP, TCS and HLA. That seems a first for hatchback segment!
Edit3 :Nope, Polo GT TSI was first!

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 10th April 2018 at 16:11.
sidhu_hs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks