Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2006, 00:52   #1
BHPian

Fiat Palio 1.2/1.6 / Maruti Esteem

Hi All,

I have 3 models of secondhand cars in mind to go for... but . iam stuck finialising which one

Fiat Palio 1.2 or 1.6
or Maruti Esteem

I will be commuting about 20kms everyday, loves to go on long drive.

very much confused
max
Old 21st December 2006, 11:46   #2
BHPian

If you are getting palio 1.6 go for it.....20 km a day is not much to consider FE.

Well also there is another point to it. You also need to see the overall condition of the car, KM done, service records if availble....
Old 21st December 2006, 13:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Second hand Maruti cars are much more reliable...

However... The palio 1.6 is one smart car... If its a good deal, then why not???
Old 21st December 2006, 14:25   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

if the palio 1.6 is in good condition and it hasnt logged too many kilometers,its better that you go for it.
esteems build quality isnt that good and a second hand car might develop rattles.
go for the palio 1.6
Old 21st December 2006, 14:48   #5
BHPian

I had started off with a similar list of used cars to choose from, except that it did not have Palio 1.2. Ultimately I got myself a new Petra 1.6. I would suggest that you too consider this car. Its ride is better than the Palio 1.6's and the Esteem's though its pick up is not as great (though it is still close to semi-blistering) and now with the Tata's in the fray, you will not be left entirely in the lurch. Though it may be a little difficult to find a used Petra simply because few owners sell these cars. Fiat club india or Palio users group on Yahoo groups may help in finding these cars.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 21st December 2006 at 14:59.
Old 21st December 2006, 19:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Ultimately I got myself a new Petra 1.6. I would suggest that you too consider this car. Its ride is better than the Palio 1.6's and the Esteem's though its pick up is not as great
Why would you say that???palio 1.6 and the petra 1.6 share the same engine and suspension geometry,they share the same tyre profile and both are built on the same chasis.the petra 1.6 and palio 1.6 have the same power output,the palio 1.6 is fraction of a second quicker since it is lighter by 40kgs due to the absence of a boot but their pick ups are nearly identical.
Old 21st December 2006, 21:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
Why would you say that???palio 1.6 and the petra 1.6 share the same engine and suspension geometry,they share the same tyre profile and both are built on the same chasis.
I am not too sure, but that may be because they probably have different gear ratios. However, Petra will be more stable at high speeds due to its boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Its ride is better than the Palio 1.6's and the Esteem's though its pick up is not as great (though it is still close to semi-blistering)
Let the esteems win the drag races at traffic signals, but they are no match on highways. No comparison once past 80-100 kmph.
Old 21st December 2006, 21:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to beat an Esteem, any day !! Just go for it. I bet you will never regret your decision !
Old 21st December 2006, 22:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you try used Petra with less used car and If its in good condition.

Used Esteem is also worth for sure. I strongly suggest used Petra since its worth for sure! Petra is great in terms of every expectation what owner can get in its class.

One more important point is ride comfort is better in Petra compared with Pailo and esteem.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 21st December 2006 at 22:09.
Old 22nd December 2006, 08:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

you haven't told us your budget yet. Palios come very cheap in the used car market. 1998 Esteem = 2003 Palio. but please take a good mechanic before you decide on any car.
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:35   #11
BHPian

Go for the Palio or the Petra. Old esteems rattle a lot. I am speaking out of my personal experience.
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Choice must be made on purpose of usage?

My choice - Esteem if you plan to have it modded, else the Palio any day... just curious to ask - why Baleno is not in your shortlist?

Comparing Esteem over Palio 1.2/1.6(and the likes of Petra, 1.2/1.6)
+ Availability in 2nd hand market
+ Modding
+ Spares are cheaper and AVAILABLE
+ Maruti A$$ and service network
+ Mileage
+ Should definitely be hasslefree
- Rigidity, Ruggedness, Sturdiness, Built to Last feel, inspiring confidence while you drive
- Safety
- Looker
Old 22nd December 2006, 12:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by max8791 View Post
Hi All
I have 3 models of secondhand cars in mind to go for... but . iam stuck finialising which one
Very interesting choices indeed! Haven't see many who think like that. May be you can bring some specific requirements on board. That would definitely hel us to help you.
Anyway, here is my view,
Consider Palio 1.2
-If you are looking for a large family hatch or you are someone who buys anything that is "Palio". You can also consider Santro/Wagon R
Palio 1.6
- Will get you exclusivity, and excellent performace to match. Exclusivity comes at a price. If you are a boy-racer- that's your car

As suggested by prabuddhadg and ravibhat, Petra seems to be a better choice, if you are looking for a balance. Also, IMO, you have a better chance to land up a well maintained Petra, than a Palio 1.6.

At last, buy Esteem if you want peace of mind. Given, Petra will be a much steady car if you are driving at 150 kph, but the question is do you really do it every day. Also, Esteem is a much relaxed highway cruiser- due to its widely spread gearing. Finally, Esteem is still perceived as a "big car' by aam junta, so you keep getting all the respect.
Old 22nd December 2006, 13:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by max8791 View Post
I will be commuting about 20kms everyday, loves to go on long drive.

very much confused
max
A well maintained palio 1.6 GTX is a better buy for you.
Old 22nd December 2006, 15:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
My choice - Esteem if you plan to have it modded, else the Palio any day... just curious to ask - why Baleno is not in your shortlist?

Comparing Esteem over Palio 1.2/1.6(and the likes of Petra, 1.2/1.6)
+ Availability in 2nd hand market
+ Modding
+ Spares are cheaper and AVAILABLE
+ Maruti A$$ and service network
+ Mileage
+ Should definitely be hasslefree
- Rigidity, Ruggedness, Sturdiness, Built to Last feel, inspiring confidence while you drive
- Safety
- Looker
what makes you say that the palio cannot be modded.you can put filters,exhaust,porting polishingetc on the palio too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks