Team-BHP - Ford Freestyle vs the others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Ford Freestyle vs the others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/198816-ford-freestyle-vs-others.html)

Ford Freestyle vs the others-freestyle.png

Ford Freestyle

What you'll like:

• A very well-priced car; offers more than the Figo at comparable prices
• Cosmetic additions have been tastefully applied
• Genuinely fun to drive! Will bring a smile to your face
• Peppy 95 BHP 3-cylinder petrol is much improved over the Figo's lethargic 1.2L
• Powerful & efficient 1.5L diesel available. Good driveability too
• Well-tuned suspension and 190 mm of ground clearance
• Features such as that awesome touchscreen HU, auto headlamps & wipers, reversing camera etc.
• Airbags and ABS + EBD across the range. Titanium+ variant gets 6 airbags, ESP, ARP & HSA

What you won't:

• 1.2L is good for a 3-cylinder engine, but the 4-cylinder 1.2s from Maruti, Hyundai & gang are superior
• Cabin width makes the Freestyle suited to 4 adults, not 5. Rear headroom is limited for tall passengers
• Overall design (including the cabin) does feel old / bland compared to the more modern competition
• Interior quality is strictly average
• Lighter build is a departure from the usual Ford sturdiness
• Some missing essentials (dead pedal, proper rear headrests, full-size spare tyre etc.)
• Automatic transmission not offered
• Based on a flopped model, the Figo (if that matters to you)

Link to Official Review

Hyundai i20 Active

What you'll like:

• All-rounded package, with exterior enhancements over the Elite i20
• 190 mm of ground clearance makes it rough-road friendly
• Spacious interiors with outstanding quality, fit and finish. Practical 285 liter boot too
• 1.4L diesel has excellent driveability, refinement, performance & fuel economy. 6-speed gearbox is smooth
• Mature suspension offers a comfortable ride and neutral handling characteristics
• Hyundai's fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales service
• Loaded with features & gizmos (projector headlamps with DRLs, 16" rims, keyless entry & go, 8-speaker stereo, rake & reach steering, rear air-con, reversing cam, cooled glovebox and lots more)

What you won't:

• Over a lakh more than the equivalent Elite i20 variants
• 1.2L petrol is nowhere as impressive as the diesel. Mediocre highway performance for a premium car
• Anyone over 5'11" will find rear headroom to be insufficient. Sloping roof eats into cabin height at the back
• Dynamics & steering aren't to an enthusiast's tastes. Avventura, Cross Polo etc. are more fun to drive
• Price difference between the petrol & diesel is ~1.3 lakhs. That's higher than the competition
• Missing essentials (fuel-efficiency indicator, auto-locking doors, height-adjustable seatbelts)

Link to Official Review

Toyota Etios Cross
Ford Freestyle vs the others-toyotaetioscross01.jpg

Link to the Official Report

Fiat Urban Cross
Ford Freestyle vs the others-14444971_1210903272314164_6636974332978302875_o.jpg

Link to BHPian Wildy's ownership report

Tempted by the Freestyle because it was fun to drive from Mumbai -> Lonavla and back, but if I had to put my money on one, it would be the Elite i20 Active. Better engine (petrol), smoother gearbox, lighter clutch, superior quality, more space, bigger boot and features. Can also argue that the resale will be higher as the Figo is a flopped model.

The i20 Active is a lot more expensive than the Ford, although I think it's totally worth it. I'd pick the Freestyle over the Hyundai only if I was restricted by the budget. Product to product though, there's no doubt which one has the upper hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4406276)
if I had to put my money on one, it would be the Elite i20 Active. Better engine (petrol), smoother gearbox, lighter clutch, superior quality, more space, bigger boot and features. Can also argue that the resale will be higher as the Figo is a flopped model.

Was contemplating as to how i20's petrol is better than Freestyle's new 1.2 dragon engine. The official reviews highlight the refinement levels and this puts it better than the Ford's 1.2 3-cylinder. However, the low-end driveability of Freestyle is better than i20, which needs frequent gearshifts. The dynamics also goes the Ford's way. Wonder what strongly goes for i20 petrol. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4406276)
Tempted by the Freestyle because it was fun to drive from Mumbai -> Lonavla and back, but if I had to put my money on one, it would be the Elite i20 Active. Better engine (petrol), smoother gearbox, lighter clutch, superior quality, more space, bigger boot and features. Can also argue that the resale will be higher as the Figo is a flopped model.

I haven't driven Active or the Freestyle. But the petrol unit of i20 felt really bad last time when I went to Wayanad. It felt slow and literally was struggling in ghat with 4 people. Performance in highway was also mediocre. Two plus points after the drive was refinement and smooth gearshifts. Among the 1.2's I drove, the K Series in Swift and iVtec in Brio felt lively and enjoyable. From an enthusiast perspective which should be the pick? I know there is the Urban cross but no one is buying that anyway and has its fair share of problems.

I'd pick the i20 Active for the 1.4 CRDI unit. I really enjoyed the punchy power delivery of this engine when I drove it. The rich interiors and plethora of features are bonus points. The Ford has an excellent 1.5 diesel, but a very slight compromise can be made on the engine front in exchange for all the extras that the Hyundai has.

However, if my choice was restricted to petrol only, then there's no way I'd go for the Active. The engine felt terribly under powered in the Elite i20 and I am pretty sure that it will be worse in the Active. The 1.2 Ti-VCT in the Figo itself felt much better than the 1.2 Kappa in the i20 and as per reviews the 1.2 dragon is better than the 1.2 Ti-VCT when it comes to performance.

So my choice is-

Petrol- Ford Freestyle
Diesel- i20 Active

Just wondering why the WR-V is not included in the poll.

The Freestyle just doesn't cut the mustard for me.
The i20Active and the WR-V are more spacious and have much better appointed interiors.
Refinement levels are also better in the 4 Cyl folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4406407)
Just wondering why the WR-V is not included in the poll.

Because the WR-V is grouped with cars like the Ecosport and the Brezza. It has established itself as a mini-SUV and not a crossover unlike these cars. I myself was taken aback when the WR-V was being termed as a 'mini-SUV' falling in the C-2 segment and not a crossover. And not only on Team-Bhp but this was all over the internet and the other channels. I am yet to be convinced though and I find it difficult to see the WR-V as a mini-SUV falling in the same bracket as the Ecosport and the Brezza.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 4406411)
Because the WR-V is grouped with cars like the Ecosport and the Brezza. It has established itself as a mini-SUV and not a crossover unlike these cars. I myself was taken aback when the WR-V was being termed as a 'mini-SUV' falling in the C-2 segment and not a crossover.

Well, they are clearly wrong.
The WR-V is a raised Jazz, with some changed panels.
There is no hiding this fact.

A mini-SUV (or whatever the people want to call it), must at least look like an SUV or a shrunken one atleast. From what angle does WR-V look like an SUV? lol:

P.S. No offence mean't to anyone.

I'd vote for the Freestyle, not as a crossover hatchback or anything - but a value warm hatchback rather. Looks rather sporty if the roof rails are discarded - and the added GC makes it practical too. The engines, the safety features etc make it a brilliant option for the price.

Elite i20 Active is priced too close to the real crossovers - I would rather pick an Ecosport / Nexon instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4406482)
From what angle does WR-V look like an SUV? lol:

Front. :D

Its all about that sloping hatchback bonnet. Without it - Indians call a car as an SUV, with it its called a beefed up hatchback.

By the same yardstick - Ive seen many non-enthusiasts call Nexon as a hatchback and the WRV as an SUV - although none of these have the mass design appeal of the Brezza or Ecosport.

Voted for the Freestyle - mainly because of the fact that Ford has managed to give it an identity of its own compared to the regular Figo hatchback. And Ford has not skipped on any safety features for the top-end variant.

Voted for the i20 Active as I'm already impressed with it through the Elite i20 hatchback I use. I would have voted for the Freestyle because it's a great package for the asking price. But I didn't because Ford failed to provide the two most important features I'm looking for:

* Projectors with DRLs. It's really silly of Ford to miss this opportunity to provide those upgraded headlamps even as an option to say the least.

* 6 speed gearbox on the diesel.

I would pick the freestyle. Has a really good engine(at least on paper), but there is no mistaking the fact this is a disguised hatch back. I will take an extended TD this Friday, so, keeping the finger's crossed. And the dashboard is :eek:, but I would buy this car for that nice powerful 1.2L engine.

My pick would be Freestyle for overall package Ford is offering at this price point. The fully loaded Titanium+ costs lesser than base variant of petrol and mid diesel variant of i20 Active. The initial feedback regarding 1.2l dragon engine has been positive and the pocket rocket diesel doesn't have any competition in this segment.:D

If opting for the i20 active, One can get a proper compact SUV like the EcoSport, Brezza and the nexon by adding little bit more funds. The petrol's mileage is not something to talk about and performance is mediocre. Only the diesel is impressive.

The freestyle offers much more in terms of safety and electronic aids like traction control at much lower price point. Agree that it's based on the Figo which didn't do well but the car didn't had any drawbacks in terms of design and safety. The plastics may be not at par with the Hyundai, but at that price, I am going to ignore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok (Post 4406717)
The freestyle offers much more in terms of safety and electronic aids like traction control at much lower price point. Agree that it's based on the Figo which didn't do well but the car didn't had any drawbacks in terms of design and safety.

Well, the safety aspects of entry level Fords is still unknown territory, I would say.
Not that it's competition is any better, but, just saying.

Safety aspects were discussed here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...rash-test.html