Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2006, 08:44   #1
BHPian

Wagon-R: VXi+LPG OR LXi+Upgrades+LPG? EDIT: Now booked LXi

I have decided to purchase a new Wagon-R. I need help in deciding the model, upgrades, etc.

Expected Usage: Less than 5 kms a day on weekdays + occasional weekend trips to nearby places within couple of hundred kms.

Here are some questions:
1) For me, FE takes more priority than performance. I am leaning towards getting LPG but considering the low usage what do the members think about getting LPG?

2) If going for LPG then is it better to get Duo or should I buy petrol version and get LPG kit installed by the Maruti dealer? I believe there is very less discount offered on Duo whereas the discount offered on petrol version is more.

3) I have been told that considering my usage, ABS is not recommended. Is that true? Also it is my understanding that ABS can only be added to VXi (and not on LXi).

4) I do want power windows, keyless entry and some other features available as standard on VXi. The dealer suggests that I buy LXi model and then add power windows, keyless entry, etc. per my requirements (instead of buying VXi). Is that a good approach?

5) I had read that all dealers are offering discounts especially during this year-end. How much discount should I expect on LXi and VXi?

6) What is the duration of standard and extended warranty being offered by Maruti? Should I go for extended warranty?

7) Can I negotiate with dealer on the prices for upgrades, extended warranty and insurance premiums as well?

8) Any other recommended upgrades for Wagon-R?

Thanks very much.
sohu
Old 28th December 2006, 07:00   #2
BANNED

Answers to you queries....

1. I would just recommend you to stick on to the petrol version.

2. Buy a petrol WR and get the LPG kit retrofitted.

3. ABS is a useful option irrespective of the usage level.

4. Approach is OK, but make sure that the work quality & components used is pretty good and get a written warranty for that work.

5. 20,500 + Exchange Bonus

6. 3-4 years. Also see the Team-BHP Advice section for a thread on EW.

7. Try to squeeze the dealer for more freebies, you'll surely get more.

8. Currently nothing on my head !!!
Old 28th December 2006, 08:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Your usage is not much... So,it wont be that much of a difference if you go in for LPG... But... would matter a bit in the long run...

1. You are only paying 20k extra for the LPG... So, its not much of an initial invetsment as in the case of a deisel... So, finally, it would be good for you to get the wagonR duo... (If mileage is the first priority)

2. you would be able to save 10k (may be) considering the discounts on the petrol version, if you get the LPG kit fitted from outside... But, remember, the means, you dont get waranty on the car anymore... Duo allows you to have LPG in your car with te company warranty...

3. ABS is very useful feature for highway runs... But if you have confined to stop and go traffic in the city... wont matter much... but still, ABS is always an added safety for the car

4. Power windows come as MGA... So, you will be able to get it done at the dealers... However, i guess it should come to around 10k for 4 doors... keyless entry can be fitted as accesery, no problem...

5. i think there is 20k discount being offered for the petrol models... Not that sure though... Ask your dealer...

6. I havent tried EW... so, no idea...

7. well, nothing wrong in trying...

8. Please dont buy black or white (i feel they look bad with new design)... Upgrade to alloys (chrome alloys if you get green/dark red car)... and exchange stock tyres for upsized ones... (145/70 R13 tyres are skinny... Get 155/65 R13)

Well... I guess... Taking a VXi and fitting LPG would be more VFM... However, Duo comes with waranty... ultimatley, you have to decide what to go for...
Old 28th December 2006, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

For your running, you surely do not need LPG, instead invest more & get the Vxi, better than retrofitting power windows.
Old 28th December 2006, 13:44   #5
BHPian

Why not Zen Estilo?

Quote:
I have decided to purchase a new Wagon-R. I need help in deciding the model, upgrades, etc. -
Why not the latest Zen Estilo? This is the latest gen MR Wagon R in Suzuki stables worldwide...

Quote:
1) For me, FE takes more priority than performance. I am leaning towards getting LPG but considering the low usage what do the members think about getting LPG?
Bad Idea, poor ROI (return on Investment)

Quote:
2) If going for LPG then is it better to get Duo or should I buy petrol version and get LPG kit installed by the Maruti dealer? I believe there is very less discount offered on Duo whereas the discount offered on petrol version is more.
If you still decide to go for LPG, buy the VXi and upgrade after the warranty run in is over, you would get a better bargain on the petrol models

Quote:
3) I have been told that considering my usage, ABS is not recommended. Is that true? Also it is my understanding that ABS can only be added to VXi (and not on LXi).
ABS is a safety add-on and is independent of useage, I would recommend this if you happen to drive frequently on accident prone zones, this is available as an optional add-on on a VXi and not on LXi

Quote:
4) I do want power windows, keyless entry and some other features available as standard on VXi. The dealer suggests that I buy LXi model and then add power windows, keyless entry, etc. per my requirements (instead of buying VXi). Is that a good approach?
No, stay clear of aftermarket add-on's

Quote:
5) I had read that all dealers are offering discounts especially during this year-end. How much discount should I expect on LXi and VXi?
20~30k would be a reasonable target, you should also be able to bargain hard on 2006 built (see under bonnet) machines. You can also cough up more discount if you team up and buy in groups

Quote:
6) What is the duration of standard and extended warranty being offered by Maruti? Should I go for extended warranty?
2 yrs/30k km is the standard warranty, guess its extendable to the 3rd yr/15k km addl -check with the dealer

Quote:
7) Can I negotiate with dealer on the prices for upgrades, extended warranty and insurance premiums as well?
stay away from the dealer fitted optionals, try to take a cash discount instead

Quote:
8) Any other recommended upgrades for Wagon-R?
Tyre upgrades, alloys, sun films, good ICE - you may also refer the accessories section on this website.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th December 2006 at 14:59. Reason: Kindly use the quote feature when you quote other posters...
Old 28th December 2006, 23:02   #6
BHPian

Thank you

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to go with petrol version of wagon-r. No need to get LPG at this time.

Regarding LXi vs VXi, it is mostly going to be LXi becoz the dealer insists that the add-ons (power windows, keyless entry, etc.) are all genuine items provided by Maruti and adding those items will not impact warranty. Also, the discount offered on LXi is much higher than VXi. Hence, adding power windows, keyless entry and few required options to LXi will be much cheaper compared to buying VXi. I have almost decided to go with silver colored petrol LXi with alloy wheels, Sony cd/mp3/ipod player and extended warranty for 4 years.

Can someone pls confirm that adding power windows, keyless entry, horn kit, music system, etc. from the dealer will not nullify warranty?

sohu
Old 29th December 2006, 10:26   #7
BHPian

Sohu9,
IMHO, i think you should go for a VXi.
1.With the kind of mileage you do, once in a week end and occational long trips, dou is nor recommended - You are paying 25K more which you might realise or break even after 20K distance, which is a long time. Also when you do long trips you might not get LPG outlets, I am not sure how that is in Gujarat, atleast in Banaglore and Kerala there are no LPG outlets on Highways. The LPG tank on Duo is small to fill in Gas for long trips, that means you need to depend on petrol.
ABS might not be required now, but within a couple of years when the Govt passes norms that all cars produced should have ABS, then they become an expectation on all cars, hence resale value might be less. I found difficult to sell my Wagon R LX cos it did not have a power steering. PS was a luxury on 2000 when we bought the car.ABS is better if its factort fitted. I wouldn`t recommend dealer to fit that or tamper with the breaking system!
Duo does not have power windows, only VXi has. If you fit the same on an LXI the pricing will be more or less the same. also the working might not be as smooth as a company fitted one.Keyless entry can be done. Go for MGA/ autocop/cobra.
I am a satisfied client of Maruti, so I might not go for extended warranty, if you can negotiat that free, its good, Generally Nothing happens to these cars. Its a peronal decison, if it gets peace of might go for that.
Upgrades- If I were you I will only upgrade the tyres/alloys. 165/55/R13 will be good with alloys.
Old 30th December 2006, 15:26   #8
BHPian

Booked!

wanted to thank everyone for responses, and update the thread with my selection.

Booked silver colored LXi petrol version with the following (I have been told everything is MGA):

- tyres: Bridgestone 155/65/R13 - additional Rs. 6250
- alloy wheels - additional Rs. 13.7K
- Sony CD/MP3 player (referred as model 250) with ipod connection & 4 speakers - Rs. 14K
- Power windows for the front doors - Rs. 6K
- keyless entry/central lock, steering cover, side molding, mud flaps, matting, horn kit, etc.
- Front fog lamps & day-night rear view mirror will be added when dealer gets it in stock

Questions for the learned and helpful folks over here:

1) If I am not concerned about impact to warranty and FE, is it better to install after-market LPG kit now or is it better to install one after the run-in period - just from a engine performance and engine health perspective?
2) I did get a generous discount on the ex-showroom price but does the prices for accesories sound reasonable?
3) What are the next steps on my part (pre-delivery, at delivery and post-delivery)?
4) Any other recommended upgrades/accesories?

sohu
PS: admins, I hope it is ok to list prices of accesories. If not, please pm me with the contents of this post so I can edit wherever applicable.
Old 30th December 2006, 16:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Better get this stuff from outside from a good accessory shop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
- tyres: Bridgestone 155/65/R13 - additional Rs. 6250
- alloy wheels - additional Rs. 13.7K
- Sony CD/MP3 player (referred as model 250) with ipod connection & 4 speakers - Rs. 14K
And the rest, from MGA:
Quote:
- Power windows for the front doors - Rs. 6K
- keyless entry/central lock, steering cover, side molding, mud flaps, matting, horn kit, etc.
- Front fog lamps & day-night rear view mirror will be added when dealer gets it in stock
Old 30th December 2006, 19:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
1) If I am not concerned about impact to warranty and FE, is it better to install after-market LPG kit now or is it better to install one after the run-in period - just from a engine performance and engine health perspective?
2) I did get a generous discount on the ex-showroom price but does the prices for accesories sound reasonable?
3) What are the next steps on my part (pre-delivery, at delivery and post-delivery)?
4) Any other recommended upgrades/accesories?
CONGRATS!!!

Those tyres are tubeless, right??? Since, you are upgrading to alloys, better go for tubeless...
1. You can upgrade to LPG... No problems... (But, i wont advice that cause your low usage doesnt make a differnce in going for LPG, also resale value drops)... In case you go for LPG, get a CERTIFIED kit from a good dealer... Or check with service centre if they can install duo kits...
2. The prices seems ok... But you could have had a better selection of alloys etc, if done from an accesories shop...
3. Just make sure everything is as you listed out, and working fine... Maruti wont give much probelms... (I went to take delivery of a friends indica XETA, and on opening the fule filler cap, it was stickered, diesel only )
4. May be.. some nice tints for the windows (which i dont have yet)...

Happy driving...
Old 31st December 2006, 08:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Better get this stuff from outside from a good accessory shop:

I could not visit more accessory shops due to time constraints (year-end, etc.). Of the ones that I did visit, I couldn't trust them to use quality goods and proper fitting.
Old 31st December 2006, 08:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
CONGRATS!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Those tyres are tubeless, right??? Since, you are upgrading to alloys, better go for tubeless...
Nope those are not tubeless. Its hard to find someone that fixes tubeless tires in nearby places so I did not go with it at this time.

Quote:
1. You can upgrade to LPG... No problems... (But, i wont advice that cause your low usage doesnt make a differnce in going for LPG, also resale value drops)... In case you go for LPG, get a CERTIFIED kit from a good dealer... Or check with service centre if they can install duo kits...
Over here, resale value does not decrease with LPG. I do agree with you about getting a certified kit. Unless I hear about advantages of installing one during run-in period, I'm not fitting an LPG kit currently.

Quote:
2. The prices seems ok... But you could have had a better selection of alloys etc, if done from an accesories shop...
In the limited time that I had, I ould not find an accessory shop that I could trust. Glad to find that the dealer prices seem reasonable.

Quote:
3. Just make sure everything is as you listed out, and working fine... Maruti wont give much probelms... (I went to take delivery of a friends indica XETA, and on opening the fule filler cap, it was stickered, diesel only )
I will go thru the inspection and pre-delivery list to make sure everything is in order.

Quote:
4. May be.. some nice tints for the windows (which i dont have yet)...
Yes, that is on the list of things to get post-delivery.

Quote:
Happy driving...
Happy driving and Happy New Year!!
Old 2nd January 2007, 18:27   #13
BHPian

Hey sohu,
Happy New Year and congrats on your new car mate. Do post some pics of your new car.... me too planning for the same but Vxi version of it. Does your Lxi comes with any parcel shelves under the seat??
Old 16th January 2007, 09:46   #14

What if we run a longer distance?

Hi,
What if instead of 5kms the initial poster has mentioned we run a longer distance (25kms per day) + around 200kms every weekend.
Is it ok to go for the duo then?
Also this stupid maruthi dealer is not giving any discount for duo.
He is ok to give ard 30k+ cash discount for petrol.
What do you guys suggest?
Old 16th January 2007, 13:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourXFour View Post
Hi,
What if instead of 5kms the initial poster has mentioned we run a longer distance (25kms per day) + around 200kms every weekend.
Is it ok to go for the duo then?
Also this stupid maruthi dealer is not giving any discount for duo.
He is ok to give ard 30k+ cash discount for petrol.
What do you guys suggest?
Duo is having a very good demand... That could be why... There are no discounts on duo here also...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks