Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which B1 hatchback would you choose?
Maruti WagonR 75 40.54%
Hyundai Santro 27 14.59%
Tata Tiago 72 38.92%
Maruti Celerio 5 2.70%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 3.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 22:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My understanding based on feedback from elders in the family who have traveled in our WagonR is that the rear seat is fairly comfortable especially for shorter drives within the city. The seat also has an almost upright seating position with the seatback tilted just a bit, not a steep recline. Also, the higher GC means they can comfortably climb into the car unlike low slung seats in other hatchbacks and sedans. However, I will suggest you get the car home for a TD so that your mother can check if ingress/egress and seat comfort are to her liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drive a previous gen WagonR and the best part I like about it is the space in it and being able to walk in-out of the car. But I would say the rear seats are not the best place to be in. First, the seat base is pretty hard and can be tiring. Second, given the body roll and limited suspension travel range, travelling on bad roads is not a good experience. So if the travel is going to be over longer distances (>10 kms/day) over bad roads then look for something more comfortable.

Tiago/Santro might feel more plush due to softer suspension and better padded seats. So I would suggest please take your mother on test drive along possible routes/road conditions that she will encounter regularly.
Went and checked out the WagonR today. They did not have the TD vehicle, however, they will be bringing the car home on Sunday. I sat on the back seat and found the under thigh support to be slightly inadequate. Lets wait for the TD. Also, the prices are relatively same as compared to that of the Santro.

Santro seems to be a bit better equipped though with the touch screen and all in the Sportz variant. The VXi of WagonR doesnt have a touch screen. However, if you pay 7-8K extra you can have passenger side air bag as well. Thats brilliant. I mean I can just choose the Maruti for this reason alone. Lets wait for Sunday.

Last edited by Pancham : 9th August 2019 at 22:08.
Old 9th August 2019, 22:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

I will pick the Wagon R with the 1.2 litre engine. It is extremely refined and I feel the Wagon R with that engine will pack a punch. Having used a three cylinder engine all these years, I will like a change.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 22:54   #18
BHPian

It's tough to pick one between WagonR and Tiago. Liked the build quality of Tiago along with it's looks. However voted for WagonR just for commanding view it offer for driver. Because of tallboy design, it can accommodate lot of luggage with seats folded. My friend carried his Activa in WagonR when he recently shifted his home.
K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 12:25   #19
BHPian

If someone is interested in WagonR, make sure to check out the Ignis as well.

Ignis has better seats (especially the front ones), adjustable front and rear headrests, 15 inch wheels, better placement of center AC vents (WagonR has pathetic placement), recently scored 3 stars in Global NCAP (although its not confirmed that we get the same Ignis in India).

Ignis usually has good discounts throughout the year. WagonR currently has none. Ignis Delta is priced around 35K less than the WagonR ZXI in my city. This is before any discounts on the Ignis. The only thing one would miss is the touchscreen head unit and foldable side mirrors. And the Ignis Zeta is priced just 13K more than the ZXi variant of WagonR (again, before discounts). One would get 15 inch Alloy wheels, key less entry, start stop button to name a few extras.

I will pick Ignis over the WagonR any given day.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 10th August 2019 at 12:41.
Sherlocked is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 18:01   #20
BHPian

I really dislike the new WagonR's seats and that kills it for me. I don't know if it's the nostalgia, but I remember the older models front seats being much more comfortable.

I too would vote for the Ignis as well if that was an option. Unfortunately, it's as ugly on the outside as it is beautiful on the inside.
Alterlife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 06:05   #21
BHPian

What competition? The wagon R is unique.
It is recession proof without marketing.
A WagonR buyer will not consider anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR vs the competition-save_20190812_060417.jpeg  

drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:08   #22
BHPian

Hello all,

I am in the market for a convenient city car, with occasional highway runs. I have narrowed down to the Celerio vxi with safety pack and the WagonR vxi 1.0 with safety pack. I am getting a sweet deal on the celerio, getting the on-road price to 5.10 lakhs and the WagonR has no discounts, and retails for 5.6 lakhs. I need a car that is cheap, fuel efficient, reasonably safe, spacious and comfortable. It would be good to have stability at high speeds as well. I need help deciding between these two and would be great if someone could recommend any other car as well.

Thanks,
Sanidhya
Old 19th August 2019, 17:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I need a car that is cheap, fuel efficient, reasonably safe, spacious and comfortable. It would be good to have stability at high speeds as well. I need help deciding between these two and would be great if someone could recommend any other car as well.
Celerio does not have a high seating as Wagon R. Besides, Wagon R is based on new Heartech platform (IIRC) so it is bigger in size too. I think if you are considering strictly in these 2 cars, my vote would go to Wagon R.

Upcoming Renault Triber is a good package, but I am not sure about Renault's future in India, so keep this doubt in mind if you are evaluating Triber.

I believe Santro too can be a good bet. Upcoming i10 Nios can be little costly and inefficient as compared with your choices.

As countless people have said before, try Ignis too if you are okay with the design.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 09:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Celerio does not have a high seating as Wagon R. Besides, Wagon R is based on new Heartech platform (IIRC) so it is bigger in size too. I think if you are considering strictly in these 2 cars, my vote would go to Wagon R.

Upcoming Renault Triber is a good package, but I am not sure about Renault's future in India, so keep this doubt in mind if you are evaluating Triber.

I believe Santro too can be a good bet. Upcoming i10 Nios can be little costly and inefficient as compared with your choices.

As countless people have said before, try Ignis too if you are okay with the design.

Thanks for the reply!
I checked out all these cars in the showroom. While I knew that the wagonR and celerio are light weight cars, but the doors and other panels just felt too shockingly light! They just don't inspire confidence. The Ignis on the other hand is a good car, but I can't digest it's looks. Seems like I will have to settle with either the santro or the Tiago.
Old 17th September 2019, 06:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Hello all,
I need a car that is cheap, fuel efficient, reasonably safe, spacious and comfortable. It would be good to have stability at high speeds as well.
Sanidhya
Wagon-R cannot offer you stability at speeds above 80 kmph because of it's height. Cross winds or a bus/truck passing you at high speed will unsettle the Wagon-R and make you skip a beat.

Celerio will allow you to ride over speed breakers at higher speed without much discomfort but in Wagon-R you have to reduce speed.

Celerio offers 4 km more fuel efficiency than the Wagon-R (manual or AMT, 1L) and is fun to drive.

Have been using Celerio AMT since 5 years, now sold.
Booked a 1.2L Wagon-R BS-VI simply for the reasons of ease of Ingress/Egress, huge boot space, commanding view of the road and with lesser blind spot due to A pillar.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 17th September 2019 at 06:18.
Chewbacca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Wagon-R cannot offer you stability at speeds above 80 kmph because of it's height. Cross winds or a bus/truck passing you at high speed will unsettle the Wagon-R and make you skip a beat.
80 to 100 is not a problem as you make it out to be IHMO. I drive the Wagon R at 120 kmph on the highways when the road is straight and haven't noticed unstability with flybys. Body roll is definitely an issue when you are going around corners and you need to slow down to safer speeds. But then again the Wagon R is the only car I have driven, so I don't have anything to compare my experience against. So take what I say with a pinch of salt.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
80 to 100 is not a problem as you make it out to be IHMO. I drive the Wagon R at 120 kmph on the highways when the road is straight and haven't noticed unstability with flybys. Body roll is definitely an issue when you are going around corners and you need to slow down to safer speeds. But then again the Wagon R is the only car I have driven, so I don't have anything to compare my experience against. So take what I say with a pinch of salt.
Tiago - eyes closed in this segment. No second thought since I have driven all these in city and highway. Tiago is like a mini tank. Confidence boosting experience at high speeds, comparable mileage to Marutis and way ahead in build quality. Perhaps that's why this poll is in its favor.
And yes I bought Tiago in May 2019

Last edited by rajivtelang : 26th September 2019 at 12:53.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Need a City Hatchback for grandparents

Hello Everyone!
My grandparents live in Kolkata and are looking to upgrade from their 2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XK. Their maximum budget is ₹6.5 lakhs OTR and they will be exchanging the Santro valued at around ₹90000. (₹7.5L without exchange)

Their main requirements are:-
  1. Has to be a Hatchback. Petrol and automatic if possible.
  2. Performance should be plentiful to be driven around in the city and on occasional trips.
  3. Solid Build Quality with good safety features (2 Airbags, ABS, ESP)
  4. The car should be under 3.87m in length and 1.63m in breadth. Height is not a problem.
  5. Should have reliable A.S.S
  6. Should have Android Auto & In-built Navigation with a Touchscreen
The car is going to be mostly driven by my grandfather with a very low running of around 150KM. Also, since he is a Santro owner already and has had a great experience with the Alipore service centre till date. His preferred choice is another Hyundai but is open to other brands too (except Maruti - Ignis excluded). All BHPians are welcome to leave their choices below.

Thank you in Advance,
Akashdeep

Last edited by akash_v12 : 3rd June 2020 at 14:06.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:29   #29
BHPian

Re: Need a City Hatchback for grandparents

Hey akash_v12,

Well, firstly, if it is a hatchback for city runabouts and for your grandparents, I'd suggest sticking to an automatic only.

As per your requirements, I believe you can consider the Santro AMT. The comfort with Hyundai and being a previous owner of a Santro, there'll be that peace of mind and the AMT along with compact dimensions and tall boy design ensures comfortable ingress and egress along with stress free driving in the City. Also, toutedly, Hyundai's AMT with electronic actuators is widely considered as the smoothest among it's class.

If you can stretch your budget a litle bit, Grand i10 Nios is a good option.

In other brands, Renault Kwid is an under budgeted option for you which seems good enough for a city hatchback. There is Tata Tiago, but I've owned it and I'm currently having a battle with Tata in the consumer forum regarding the defected AMT Gearbox therein.
Hence, Tiago not recommended.
Archie_27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:39   #30
BANNED

Re: Need a City Hatchback for grandparents

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Also, since he is a Santro owner already and has had a great experience with the Alipore service centre till date. His preferred choice is another Hyundai but is open to other brands too (except Maruti - Ignis excluded).
Since it is for your grandfather, I can think of two options - Maruti WagonR 1.2L AMT or the Hyundai Santro AMT.

Of the two AMT options, the Santro is a much better one in terms of AMT operation and feel and he is an existing owner of the Santro, the new one shall be a nice refresh for him.

If he is fine with the WagonR, ask him to take a look. Space, height, driveability, especially in the city, are all excellent.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks