Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 00:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think BMW sells the 1 series in India, that would be my choice.
Old 15th September 2019, 19:13   #17
BHPian

Re: Which luxury / sporty hot hatch for 30 lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post

This leaves no cars for my wife who mostly works from home and my mom who complain that they are dependent on us and have to rely on us to go to errands or elsewhere hence the need for the city run about
If you can't wait for Electric options and must buy now, the Cooper would be a choice. The ride may be stiff for your mom though.
Enter the XC 40, which maybe a more practical choice. It's not big and would address comfort levels better than a Cooper.

Your wife and mom can have a look at both and select which they prefer more.
Old 16th November 2019, 18:24   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Which luxury / sporty hot hatch for 30 lakh rupees?

I have been considering an USED 2 door, mainly 2 seater, luxe import/
CBU/ CKD - AT, Petrol driven hot hatchback car for around 1.5 years now and this hunt has warmed up rather significantly in the last few months.

The clear stipulation is Used, 2 door,
2 main seat, AT, Petrol and KA Reg. And I wish to achieve this in a budget of max 18 lacs.

This is funny because I ve been an SUV and Crossover kind of guy all these years. However, luckily I do still have my lovely restored Gypsy for that kind of fun and games.

Ive seen several Mini Coopers and a couple of 1 Series in this time while on the hunt.

Its only now that I ve decided to put my Yeti in the market and am in the process of collating offers.

From the choices available given that this hot hatch will be my main use daily driver and general enjoyment car, I also considered the 2 Door VW Polo GTi with its delicious 1.8 litre petrol engine and DSG. However very few of these actually sold in India.

Sadly the used Polos available are very few and far between and the asking prices are quite stupid. Moreover there dont seem to be any in KA.

I did see one Petrol 1.6 Mini CountryMan but that is a very underpowered car which gives only 100 bhp. Not worth it for that weight of vehicle. And the fellow is asking a foolish price.

The 1 series appeals only because of its driving dynamics and the fact that it is rear wheel drive and probably the last of its kind.

However again, very few of these sold in India and they are now completely out of the market. Some cars are there but again the price-value equation doesnt match.

That leaves me now with only the Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S.

Having narrowed my choices down to this, I am seriously on the hunt for the right vehicle.

There seem to be plenty of these available but the condition and upkeep/ maintenance of these are very wide ranging, from the superbly kept to the not so well looked after. Prices too overall seem to rule high.

Buying this model of car brand new in India is just not sensible. Hence am very clearly focussed on Used.

Fingers crossed I should be able to achieve my desire in a few weeks.

Will keep the group posted on more developments as and when.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th November 2019 at 18:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 18:48   #19
BANNED

Oh heavens
Nothing but nothing comes close to the sheer pleasure of a Mini Cooper.
Even if it is a 2012 or 2013 model.
The 2012 S came with 181 Bhp and some have that Magnaflow exhaust with its is muted burble.
The 2013 standard Mini put out 121 bhp and is also an extremely engaging little car.
There are some nice used ones in the market and I am sorely sorely tempted to just go and do a deal and buy one for my daily use.
Old 19th November 2019, 19:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Oh heavens
Nothing but nothing comes close to the sheer pleasure of a Mini Cooper.
Even if it is a 2012 or 2013 model.
The 2012 S came with 181 Bhp and some have that Magnaflow exhaust with its is muted burble.
The 2013 standard Mini put out 121 bhp and is also an extremely engaging little car.
There are some nice used ones in the market and I am sorely sorely tempted to just go and do a deal and buy one for my daily use.
Did you get a chance to drive the 2013 standard Mini? I was in a similar conundrum a few months ago before i ended up buying a 320i and felt the standard Mini's performance not justified at that price point. If you're able to find an older Cooper S , you should pick that IMO
Old 19th November 2019, 19:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I have been considering an USED 2 door, mainly 2 seater, luxe import/
CBU/ CKD - AT, Petrol driven hot hatchback car for around 1.5 years now and this hunt has warmed up rather significantly in the last few months.
My opinion might be unpopular but did you look at the latest VW Beetle? Sure, the curvy styling might not be to everyone's tastes and it isn't outrightly sporty but for a premium city runabout, it makes a good case for itself.

Additionally, parts would never be a problem unlike the older Minis and 1 series since it shares it's powertrain with the Jetta

Cheers!
Old 19th November 2019, 21:01   #22
BANNED

@dealer - yes Ive driven the 121bhp Cooper 2013 and the 181 bhp Cooper 2012.
Clearly the prize goes to the 2012 Cooper S.

The new Coopers put out 190 odd bhp from their two litre engines but they are also priced frighteningly.

@ porscheGuy
My Uncle interned and worked for VW in Germany in the late 1950's.
I love VW overall.
But the 2.0 AT Beetle which was the only one on offer here in India is underpowered, has a poor AT gearbox and while it is a nice car in its own way, personally the Mini does it for me in a way the Beetle can never do.

Mini - I ve always loved it. I've never until now even considered one.
But sometimes, at some stage in life, one just has to follow the heart and 'just do it'. For better or for worse.
Old 19th November 2019, 22:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
But the 2.0 AT Beetle which was the only one on offer here in India is underpowered, has a poor AT gearbox and while it is a nice car in its own way, personally the Mini does it for me in a way the Beetle can never do.
I'm talking about the latest version with the 1.4 TSI+7 DSG combo
Old 20th November 2019, 06:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I'm talking about the latest version with the 1.4 TSI+7 DSG combo

But there are none of these powerful petrol new VW Beetles in the used car market and they dont sell it any more in India brand new either.

I would have dearly loved the VW GTi 2 door.
Because it is like an anonymous little 'sleeper' car.
Sadly they have discontinued it in India and used examples are very few and far between plus crazy prices.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th November 2019 at 06:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 09:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Mini Cooper S (maybe in the black John Cooper Works variant, if you can get hold of one in the used market) is your best bet. Where I work (Lavelle Road in the CBD area) I regularly see tons of Mini Cooper S frequenting the roads, and every time one passes by, I cant help but marvel at the compact footprint and the rorty exhaust note. One drawback would be its crashy ride quality, but then, that comes in lieu of awesome go-kart handling.

I also regularly see an immaculately maintained white Polo GTI on Lavelle Road, believe the owner lives in this vicinity. It is maintained in showroom condition, and when the driver gives it the beans (which he almost always done) that snorting 1.8 TSI bellows and catapults the tiny car forward with remarkable alacrity.

Both great choices, but like you said, the GTI is a very very rare animal to see on the used market. It is indeed the perfect sleeper. I am pretty sure no casual onlooker would mistake it for anything but the regular Polo, especially in the inconspicuous white shade - the only main giveaways being the two doors, dual exhaust tips and the GTI badging.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th November 2019 at 09:43.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 18:47   #26
BANNED

@arindam
Black JCW is a new product with the 2 litre turbo petrol engine.
Very expensive to buy new and there are as yet none in the used market.
It will take a few years to get them from the used market.
Sadly there are no 1.8 L Polo GTi's either in the used market in KA.
These Lavelle Road blokes are also in a different financial league and are not in the habit of selling their great cars very often. One reason you may be seeing a lot of Minis in that area is because the showroom is right there and these may well be test drive cars.
Mini has amalgamated its sales/ showroom with BMW - as both marques are represented by Navnit Motors. And they have shut down their Millers Road Mini Showroom.

So as mentioned the hunt is very much on for used Mini.

Lets see what happens!
Old 25th November 2019, 14:58   #27
BANNED

So there is some action taking place on the Mini Cooper S.
I have found a good well maintained one and have put some money down - will conclude it soon.
And the Yeti also will ease out slowly over the next few days.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So there is some action taking place on the Mini Cooper S.
I have found a good well maintained one and have put some money down - will conclude it soon.
And the Yeti also will ease out slowly over the next few days.
Congrats..what colour did you pick up and when is the expected change of hands? Is it in the classic British racing green colour by any chance? Drool

Do post some pics once the beauty comes into your hands.

To your earlier post - yes, Lavelle Road blokes are most certainly in a different financial league. I was not aware, however, that the Millers Road Mini showroom has shut down, and that it has now moved to the one on Lavelle Road.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:28   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congrats..what colour did you pick up and when is the expected change of hands? Is it in the classic British racing green colour by any chance? Drool

Do post some pics once the beauty comes into your hands.

To your earlier post - yes, Lavelle Road blokes are most certainly in a different financial league. I was not aware, however, that the Millers Road Mini showroom has shut down, and that it has now moved to the one on Lavelle Road.

Actually I was loafing around Spain in a BRG Convertible Cooper and in a Mercury Silver Convertible Cooper in France. In Sep this year.

Now the BRG comes with Black Trim - you know, the wheels and stripes etc. So does the Silver one.

And incidentally so does the Red one I am now in the process of bringing on board. Personally I would have preferred a white roof and silver wheels better but when one is in the pre owned world one doesnt get the benefit of making all those choices.

Anyway let it come into my hands and then I will start another thread with pics etc.
Old 27th November 2019, 02:06   #30
BANNED

Just as an anecdotal reference,
I did indeed try the Merc A Class several times. For a tall and large built person, it is a HUGE challenge getting in and out. My old friend actually has one and he heartily dissuaded me from considering it. And I dont like the way that the spare tyre intrudes so much into the already foreshortened boot space that the car has.

I did also try the Beemer 1 Series - 116i and 118d and loved it as being one of the last of its kind as a Rear Wheel Driven Hatch. A lovely car.
Beautifully Responsive and not too bad in terms of ingress and Egress.
Quite a lot of space for luggage if the rear seats are down. This car is very much like a poor man's Z3 or Z4M Coupe.

So as of this moment, if choosing such a luxe hatch in India from the used car market, for me, the Mini Cooper S ticks every single box and simply wins hands down in terms of sheer appeal, availability, things like servicing and spares, compact proportions, easy handling and parking size and maneuvrability, And of course its legendary go kart handling. Plus its wicked little turbo petrol 1.6 engine which pumps out about 184 bhp.

So let us see how it all goes down once I conclude the deal and get the car into my greedy paws.

Then will slowly take time and put out a nice write up and experience review.

And in the used market one does not need to put out as much as 27-30 lacs.

One can achieve one's dream for a less outlay than that.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th November 2019 at 02:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks