Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 19:40   #1
BHPian

Looking for an Automatic < 7 lacs

Hi guys,

I currently have a 2001 model Santro LP which is in the process of being sold. I am planning to replace it with an Automatic car so that my wife can also drive it effortlessly. She happened to drive one such car and is very fascinated.

I would like to have suggestions from you regarding the best AT option south of Rs.7 lacs. I have tried the Santro Automatic and found it to be good enough. Not sure what other options do I have in the above price range. Also, what mileage can I expect from these cars in city driving conditions. We will not be using it outside city as I would prefer my Verna for the same.

Regards,
Appu.
Old 20th February 2007, 19:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

I went down the same route when I was looking around for a car to be used by a handicapped person. It seems the only two options we have in that price band are teh Santro Auto and the Wagon R auto. Of these the Santro is definitely better as its a 4-speed as against the 3-speed Wagon R.

If there are other options, I'll be interested!
Old 20th February 2007, 20:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have only experienced a Wagon-R automatic and it was decent. Don't know too much about the Santro. But as Steer says, these are the only options in that price band unless ofcourse you would take pains to take a second hand Esteem AT or Honda City auto.
Old 20th February 2007, 20:04   #4
BHPian

Even im in the same dilemma, through websites i got information for this, sad that only Santro and Wagon R comes <5 lacs range!! .. More options will be good, but out of two i think Santro will be better.
Old 20th February 2007, 20:37   #5
BHPian

The only other option would be if you could stretch by a lakh or two to the NHC CVT, which offers you loads more space, and much better comfort.

Or, if you try hard, the Lancer 1.8 invecs may be available after huge discounts for 7-8L. Not sure if its still being sold.

Otherwise, the Santro AT is a great car for city driving - small size, great maneouverability, and peppy engine.
Old 21st February 2007, 00:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have an auto santro and have owned it since the past two and a half years with 46,000 kms clocked. The car is very reliaable, peppy, and a great city car, if ure willing to overlook the max 8kms/ltr average she churns out. The worst i have got is a 7kms/ltr. There are no complaints except the CV joints give way too soon and being an auto, ull need brake pad replacements more often. Greta car for the price and its got a three speed + overdrive. Bought it ffor the wife but whenever i can lay my hands on it, i zoom off in the auto. its a boon fo rcity driving and at half the cost nearly of bigger autos.
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:55   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Within your price range, the best buy would be an Auto-Santro. If you can stretch your budget, nothing like an Auto-NHC to keep the wife happy.

Alternatively you can look around for auto versions of the Old Honda City. They are unbreakable but will be a bit tough to find.
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too say..look for OHC auto. Dippy has one. Nice auto tank!
If you are bit lucky, might get one. Else its better to stick to Santro.
Old 22nd February 2007, 11:58   #9
BHPian

Santro would be the best deal for u. Also does the ZEN Estilla come with AT ??
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Also does the ZEN Estilla come with AT ??
The E-Stella? Not at the moment, but might be in the pipeline. Since probably WagonR is going to get a new auto.
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Is Reva not automatic??
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

I have a 2003 Santro Xing AT, great city car, fun to drive especially with Universal K&N. I get about 9kmpl in city, I have also got 15kmpl once in a highway with shell super unleaded petrol.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am in a similar situation too. Mostly we will go for NHC CVT or a Santro Auto for my wife.

I wrote to Maruti on their website asking if they had plans for the Zen auto but the (fairly quick) response was negative.
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:33   #14
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the advices. It's sad that we don't have any options for an Auto car in the B+ to C (4-7 lacs) range. I cannot afford NHC CVT anyway.

I think, I will go for a Santro AT. I wish there were AT versions of Swift or Getz, which would have been a decent upgrade for us from our current Santro LP.
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Been watching this thread so now got to post

I have mentioned earlier in other threads that the Santro AT is better than the Wagon R for the simple reason that Mauti service stations no nothong about ATs and panic the moment you drive in with a problem. I dont know bout Hyundai but I hope they have better knowledge and deal with the AT cars. I am guessing they can since they deal with the Sonata ATs as well.

Have you considered a used AT car? You could find an OHC for yourself. Big car, nice to drive and plus it FE as well even though being an AT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks