Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2007, 01:59   #1
Team-BHP Support

So which one is a better value here?

One of my friend/colleague who has just learnt to drive and is now looking for a preowned car has come across two Altos. He has a budget of around 2.5lacs which can be stretched by another 10-15 thousands max.

One of the Altos he saw was at a true-value dealerships. Its a ruby red LXi model, about 1.5-2 years old. He says it is in an absolutely scratchless condition and has driven just about 11-12000 kms. The TrueV dealership is asking him for 2.75lacs, all inclusive. He has asked for a 2.65lacs price which he thinks he may not get but there is a chance that the dealership may agree for something close to 2.7lacs all inclusive (read transfer cost).

The other one is a Jan-2003(reg) Alto Spin VX1.1, white colored. This even I saw at one of those regular second-hand car dealer's place. It has everything power (how come the steering is power in a VX?! Gotta double-check) and has done 31000+ kms. The guy is asking for 2.5 (after negotiations). We said 2.4lacs max. We are yet to test drive it as it could not be arranged today. This car also looks well maintained. However the insurance will have to be done and transfer cost will have to be borne by the buyer. Advantage here is that it is a 1.1 engine and not 800cc.

So what do you people think? Which one is a better buy? Or, is it that both are over-priced? Let me catch onto your ideas...

Last edited by Zappo : 26th February 2007 at 02:02.
Old 26th February 2007, 10:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The 800cc TV car. The initial higher cost will be justified over the long term incl thru better resale value

Last edited by theMAG : 26th February 2007 at 10:43.
Old 26th February 2007, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Even I suggest for the TrueV. Its still a young car in terms of kms done. It'll be better to invest for a low distance run car rather than the other option.

But still, the other option had good positive points because of the 'power' options.. But that has a negative point of kms done.. Quite a lot done.

Let me know on what was chosen and what's your opinion after test driving.

-Absar
Old 28th February 2007, 12:27   #4
BHPian

First, TV car is highly overpriced. You get a brand new Alto LXi for 2.8+taxes. Why pay 2.65 for 1.5-2 year old car? Are you sure, you meant 1.5-2 years, and not 1.5-2 months, or 2.65, not 1.65? :-) :-)

If your friend is in a hurry.. ask him to clam down. The auto agents always quote ridiculous amount at first and then call you back a week later with a lower quote.

Personally, I'd favor Alto 1.1 Spin, because I feel 800cc is grossly inadequate for a car. But, it'll be better to go for an old Zen/WagonR, as the Spin model is not so popular in India. Spares/maintenance can be costly, and resale value will be low.

I don't know how much the Spin was priced at, when it was launched, so can't comment on whether it's over/under priced. But, at least 15% depreciation p.a. should be availed.

Last edited by amu1983 : 28th February 2007 at 12:30.
Old 28th February 2007, 14:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I also think these prices are really high. for a 4 year old Alto, the ideal price would be around 2 lakhs or lesser. 2 year old alto around 2.20 or less. i personally feel both are overpriced.
Old 28th February 2007, 15:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

A new Alto LXi costs around 3.15 OTR in Kolkata, post discounts. As others have mentioned, it's pointless to save 40-45K for a 2 year old car.

The VX1.1 is a nono for me. You could get a good old zen for 2.4 L.

Will he be taking a loan for the car ? If so, it's a no brainer ... ask him to get a new Alto. Actually either way, get a new Alto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks