Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Maruti S-Presso 35 15.49%
Renault Kwid 39 17.26%
Datsun Redi-Go 3 1.33%
Maruti Alto K10 13 5.75%
Hyundai Santro 42 18.58%
Maruti WagonR 75 33.19%
Other (please specify in your post) 19 8.41%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 22:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
The default choices - the wagonR, santro and S-presso have been considered. However, I was wondering how good is the wagonR for short drivers in terms of visibility.
Hi,
Are you looking for an automatic? or are you fine with manual?
(Couldn't find this info in your query, sorry if I missed reading)

Anyhow,
In either case manual/automatic, I would suggest you to look nothing other than Santro or WagonR 1.2

My suggestion:

Option 1: Hyundai Santro 1.1 (Sportz MT/AMT) :
1. Hyundai has the best interiors, look and feel in the segment
2. The dashboard quality is miles ahead of the competition
3. The AMT is also best in the segment, since it comes with electric actuators for smoother shift
4. It has all features one requires in the segment
5. Hyundai A.S.S is top notch. I would rate Hyundai A.S.S better than that of Maruti
(Personal opinion and this coming after owning 3 Hyundai and 3 Maruti vehicles in our garage)
6. A perfect city car with good features and adequate power

Option 2 : Maruti WagonR 1.2 (ZXI MT/AMT) :
1. WagonR is a true work horse. May not be a looker with its boxy design. But, serves the purpose well
2. It has good headroom and good visibility
3. The 1.2 engine is an added bonus. The 4 cylinder engine is a proven one with good milage and reliability
4. Boot space is best in segment with 341 liters
5. Ingress and egress for elderly people is easy too
6. But AMT feel is not as good as that of Santro

If u need good engine, driveability, bootspace, spacious cabin, fuel efficient then choose Wagon R 1.2
If u need good quality interiors, refinement, look and fell, smooth AMT then it's going to be Santro.

Suggest you to test drive both the cars back to back with family (ofcourse after this corona thing gets sorted). So that, it will give you a proper feel and idea to choose one.

Quote:
With a budget of about 5 lakhs, stretchable up to 6.5 lakhs if I find something really good ( but I would rather not spend that much), I have narrowed down to the S-presso VXI plus and the Santro Magna. The Hyundai dealers are offering an amazing deal on exchange of my beloved ikon, and even the Maruti dealers are offering a decent exchange bonus.
Incase you are planning for Santro MT/AMT,
Then I would suggest you to choose Sportz AMT variant instead of Magna.
Sportz MT costs 40k more than Magna MT.
Sportz AMT costs 50k more than Magna AMT.

For the additional 40-50k, you will get below features in Sportz variant :
(Main features highlighted below)
Fog lamps
Day night IRVM
Keyless entry

Full wheel cover
Turn Indicators on ORVM
Electrically adjustable ORVMs
Touch screen system with Android auto and apple car play
Rear speakers
Rear parcel tray
Passenger airbag (in AMT)
Reverse camera (in AMT)
Front seat belt pretensioners (in AMT)

The additional gizmos and safety features will keep you happy in the longer run. Since, you are planning to keep the car for 10+ years.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 20th March 2020 at 23:01.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 07:31   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What car for a newbie driver that could also serve as a second car?

Quote:
Budget- around 5 lakhs, stretchable up to 6.5 lakhs if we really like something. ( But we would rather not spend that much)
Because your other car is a Merc, I would focus on quality. Also because your other car is a Mercedes, I'd suggest an AT.

AT: Santro AMT. Good quality & the best AMT there is in India.

MT: WagonR 1.2L.

Both these cars suit your requirements perfectly.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 10:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Presso vs the competition

Quote:
Would really appreciate help choosing among these. Also, are there any worthy contenders I missed?

Why not the Tiago? I have driven the MT and found it a well balanced car. The engine, gearbox are good and the car feels solid.

I guess from a safety point, I would pick the Tata cars of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because your other car is a Merc, I would focus on quality. Also because your other car is a Mercedes, I'd suggest an AT.

AT: Santro AMT. Good quality & the best AMT there is in India.

MT: WagonR 1.2L.

Both these cars suit your requirements perfectly.

Both good choices. GTO, would you consider the Tiago AMT on this list as I have not driven one yet? It is probably pricier than the other two but you get more kit.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi,
Are you looking for an automatic...The additional gizmos and safety features will keep you happy in the longer run. Since, you are planning to keep the car for 10+ years.
Thanks for the reply! I am actually not sure about the type of transmission I want. On one hand, the ease of driving of an automatic would be great for someone who confuses reverse for second
but I am a bit apprehensive about how reliable an AMT would be in the long run. Also, I think if one does not start their driving career with a manual, then they would never be able to drive one.

Also, since you have owned both Hyundai and Maruti, did you find Hyundai service costs to be higher?

@GTO,
Thanks for the sound advice. Since you have driven both, which of the two would be more manageable for a short driver? Is the WagonR's thick C pillar too much of a bother?

@Arjun Reddy

Thanks for the advice. I did consider the Tiago, in fact I even thought about getting a no frills entry level Tata Altroz Xe for its safety and build quality. But the service and reliability still remain a huge question mark. Also, my previous experience with Tata cars does not help matters. The Tata estate that my parents had before the ikon, literally became as good as scrap in 7 years. Also, not too long ago, we had a Tata Indigo in the family, and within 3 years of usage, every single part other then the horn was making noise.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 21st March 2020 at 11:28.
Old 21st March 2020, 15:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I am actually not sure about the type of transmission I want. On one hand, the ease of driving of an automatic would be great for someone who confuses reverse for second
but I am a bit apprehensive about how reliable an AMT would be in the long run.
The automatic is more convenient to drive in ever increasing Indian traffic.
It's also easier to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, and without the clutch, the left leg will thank you for reducing the burden.
If you are really confused on gears, clutch usage and not able to overcome this, then it's the AT for you.

You can go through below threads, it might give you some idea related to manual vs automatic :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...c-gearbox.html (The 2017 Poll: Manual vs Automatic Gearbox)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...9-edition.html (The Comprehensive Guide to Automatic Cars (2019 edition))

Quote:
Also, I think if one does not start their driving career with a manual, then they would never be able to drive one.
Yes, my thoughts too are same in this regard.
I too feel one must try to learn driving in manual first, then shift to automatics.
It gives an idea on how the gear works, how the car behaves in each gear, when and how to use gear and clutch etc. I made my sister to learn driving in a manual first. Now she is able to drive both manual and auto cars, though she likes automatic for its convenience.
(The above is my personal opinion, no offence meant to anyone)

Contrary to my own opinion, the automatic cars are the future. Unless you are enthusiastic to drive a manual, automatic is the one to go for.
Which allows the ease of driving for women and elderly people at home as well.

So, as suggested by GTO,
You can go with either Santro AT or WagonR 1.2 MT.
Test drive both, it will help you decide/understand which car/transmission suits you better.

Quote:
Also, since you have owned both Hyundai and Maruti, did you find Hyundai service costs to be higher?
The Hyundai spares and parts are a bit expensive compared to Maruti.
The regular service costs of both Hyundai and Maruti are almost in the similar price range. The Maruti service might be slightly cheaper in few cases.
(Sorry, won't we able to provide you real time and exact figures, since I usually don't keep track of service costs)

But service quality, response and approach wise I will rate Hyundai A.S.S better than Maruti.
(My personal opinion again).

I would suggest you to go through below threads, just to get an idea of service costs of different cars:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-spend-15.html (Team-BHP real world guide to service costs. How much do you actually spend?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...heap-myth.html (Maruti Service is cheap - A myth!)

Last edited by DLC5005 : 21st March 2020 at 16:11.
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:37   #36
BANNED

Voted for the S-Presso
I would like to have to have 180mm of GC, and dont trust Renault/Datsun.

I would probably extend for a Ignis, but if I were not to, this is what I'd buy.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:39   #37
BHPian

I voted for others and my choice is Tiago AMT. I have had an extensive test drive of Tiago to decide for a replacement of my Xeta back at home town. The only reason to post-pone was to wait for the new Tata HBX.

Santro, I feel is a bit overpriced for what it offer. But, else, that is too good a car to ignore.

No Kwid, as I felt totally uncomfortable driving my friends car.

I may consider Triber, however, yet to test drive it. Once I restart my hunting, I will definitely consider take a TD of a Triber before finalising.

S-Presso. I have no idea other than reading it and also have not seen one on road yet. But, even that will be tried before I finalise somwhere in Jan/ Feb of 2021.
Old 24th March 2020, 15:20   #38
BANNED

ZigWheels did a pretty interesting challenge

Old 12th October 2020, 15:38   #39

I am looking for functional vehicle for parents under 5L in Odisha and surprisingly the 4.5l to 5l bracket is devoid any interesting car except kwid.
While Santro/Wagon R/Celerio provide a significant upgrade but even after discounts, all are at above 5L mark even for base variant.
Spresso was decent but in back to back comparison it felt like toyish car in front of Santro. Any thoughts if Maruti 7Hyundai can give additional 10k discount above published discount of 15k?
Old 6th February 2024, 07:32   #40
BHPian

Wagon R - continuing strong
Santro - discontinued
RediGo - discontinued
Kwid - still on sale
Spresso - continuing strong
Alto - continuing strong

Except Maruti cars all others are struggling in this entry level segment.
SaurabhB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks