Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 16:35   #1
BHPian

All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi

Forced to replace my Punto diesel that is soon going to complete 10 years in Delhi. Due to Supreme court ruling, unwarranted financial burden on hapless citizens, otherwise my car is fit to run for 5 more years easily & passes current pollution norms. Plus I don't really like current crop of sub Rs 10 lakh vehicles.

So finally shortlisted three (though am open to suggestions). My main factors are a slight upgrade in every aspect, from my MJD Punto. I like base variants, as one gets 95% of the vehicle, at say 75% of the cost. Makes even more sense now for me, as front airbags and ABS are standard now. My key criteria - not in any particular order:

1) Engine (4 cylinder, 85+ BHP, Torque 190+ NM)

2) Safety (min. 4 stars preferred)

3) Gearbox (6 speed manual preferred, even though my driving is 90% in city).

4) Light clutch (no springy action like in Duster)

5) Fuel efficiency (14 kmpl with AC in city - real milage, not ARAI)

6) Space is not a big issue, though would prefer min. 300 L bootspace.

7) Min. 40L fuel tank capacity (am willing to compromise as compared to 45 litre tank in Punto).

8) 01 year service interval. Kms run is not an issue, as my running is unlikely to exceed even 800 kms a month.

9) Key features required manual AC, Power steering, Central locking, Front power windows, fuel consumption display

NO other feature important for me like - electric ORVM, DRL, Fog lamp, Seat height adjust, steering controls.

Am open to installing aftermarket infotainment system - but Bluetooth is essential.

10) Tyres min. 185 section (no alloys required).

11) Brakes should be confidence inspiring. Speed and acceleration are not the key for me, but the car should not be a slow poke either.

Was forced to think about petrols, but anemic 1.2 litre and 3 cylinder turbo petrols don't appeal to me. Plus they don't meet my criteria of minimum 190 NM of torque. So most probably, it'll have to be a diesel only.

My shortlisted vehicles are Altroz, i20 & Sonet. Nexon also in the fray, but prefer a modern platform - I believe this uses Vista platform.
jessie007 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:39   #2
BANNED

re: All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Was forced to think about petrols, but anemic 1.2 litre and 3 cylinder turbo petrols don't appeal to me. Plus they don't meet my criteria of minimum 190 NM of torque. So most probably, it'll have to be a diesel only.

My shortlisted vehicles are Altroz, i20 & Sonet. Nexon also in the fray, but prefer a modern platform - I believe this uses Vista platform.
I'll suggest the Nexon from the list. If not Nexon, the Altroz will be option 2.

EDIT: Do look at EcoSport Diesel too.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th December 2020 at 16:42.
a4anurag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

You do have a lot of criteria's if you look at it.

However the 4star rating actually filters out a lot of cars. Among the 3, you cannot be sure about the 4* safety of i20 or Sonet after the Seltos test.

I would also add Honda Amaze D to the list. With discounts if not the top model, atleast the VMT, should be around your budget, has a 4 star rating, more power torque than you want, spacious inside and large boot. VMT will have more bells and whistles than you want. Was once the most fuel efficient car in the country as well.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 9th December 2020 at 17:11.
Altocumulus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

I would also add Honda Amaze D to the list. With discounts if not the top model, atleast the VMT, should be around your budget, has a 4 star rating, more power torque than you want, spacious inside and large boot. VMT will have more bells and whistles than you want. Was once the most fuel efficient car in the country as well.
Didn't know even Honda has a vehicle with 4 star rating. Though am not too convinced about the NVH levels of their aluminium diesel engine. Also the rev limit is not confidence inspiring.
jessie007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:26   #5

Quote:
My key criteria - not in any particular order:

1) ...

I think you already have your answer: the Altroz XM. Even it doesn't meet your gearbox criteria, but it comes closest out of all the options available in that price range.

There really aren't many options for 8.5L on road. You might have looked into a 2nd hand Polo 1.5, but with the Delhi government's... let's say "interesting"... laws about older diesel vehicles, 2nd hand vehicles come with a severely reduced lifespan.
Invariance is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you look at the Rapid base model. It will exceed in a lot parameters you need and you will also get the baddi gaddi!
2000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you're ready to go with a bigger car and are okay with the service costs, go for the Rapid Rider. It should meet all the above given requirements.
Otherwise, your options include the Altroz or Nexon considering the safety requirements.
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:37   #8
BHPian

Re: All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi

Nexon first, then maybe Altroz. i20 has 6 airbags and all, but well, it's better not to take that at face value until we look at the NCAP ratings (which I'm sure is a long ways off)
Nothing wrong with Nexon's platform, after all it is 5* rated.

Last edited by gusfring : 9th December 2020 at 20:38. Reason: Typo
gusfring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Difficult to replace a Punto MJD at this price point.
Altroz Diesel is really disappointing. It feels like a non turbo age old diesel engine.
With just 800 kms/ month, you can look at the Polo / Rapid TSI MT. Will be near close to Punto in terms of driving dynamics and built quality.
Ford Ecosport or Aspire diesel makes the most sense. Aspire Diesel with 6 airbags would be easily around 11Lakhs. Figo Blu diesel too would be a good choice. It is another hatch would be close to Punto.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Why dont you look at the Rapid base model. It will exceed in a lot parameters you need and you will also get the baddi gaddi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
If you're ready to go with a bigger car and are okay with the service costs, go for the Rapid Rider. It should meet all the above given requirements.
Otherwise, your options include the Altroz or Nexon considering the safety requirements.
Forgot to mention - don't need a big car - sub 4m will suffice - plus one should make use of govt's incentive for sub 4m vehicles.

Also, call it a mindset, but 3 cylinder engines are not to my liking, especially if i can get a 4 cylinder one in similar price range. But might be open to turbo 3 cylinder engines in future, once they are even more refined and more importantly once manufacturers stop charging a premium for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Nexon first, then maybe Altroz. i20 has 6 airbags and all, but well, it's better not to take that at face value until we look at the NCAP ratings (which I'm sure is a long ways off)
Nothing wrong with Nexon's platform, after all it is 5* rated.
Point noted regarding Nexon's platform - i think i'm being too choosy and limiting my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Difficult to replace a Punto MJD at this price point.
Altroz Diesel is really disappointing. It feels like a non turbo age old diesel engine.
With just 800 kms/ month, you can look at the Polo / Rapid TSI MT. Will be near close to Punto in terms of driving dynamics and built quality.
Ford Ecosport or Aspire diesel makes the most sense. Aspire Diesel with 6 airbags would be easily around 11Lakhs. Figo Blu diesel too would be a good choice. It is another hatch would be close to Punto.
True - difficult to find a well priced, modern & safe diesel vehicle. Will check Ford options also - though they seem too old models.
Old 9th December 2020, 23:03   #11
anb
BHPian

I’d suggest Ford Freestyle. It has a fantastic diesel and dynamics. Even though Figo has only 3 stars, Freestyle has a little more safety features like 6 airbags, ESP & anti rollover protection. Thus Freestyle is less likely to involve in an accident. Boot space is a little less than 300 litres.

Last edited by anb : 9th December 2020 at 23:07.
anb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I’d suggest Ford Freestyle. It’s has a fantastic diesel and dynamics. Even though Figo has only 3 stars, Freestyle has a little more safety features like 6 airbags, ESP & anti rollover protection. Thus Freestyle is likely to involve in an accident. Boot space is a little less than 300 litres.
Just checked it out on Ford's website - it does not seem to have any base variant for Diesel. The Titanium variant starts at 8.14 ex-showroom. Plus a vehicle that is going to be out of production sooner than later, it does not make sense especially since i'll keep the vehicle for atleast 7 years.
jessie007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 10:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

First the Nexon, then the Altroz. You can wait for a couple of months while the Altroz turbo petrol is launched. I don't see many options as you have safety as primary factor. That literally knocks off Hyundai and Kia!
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 19:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked it out on Ford's website - it does not seem to have any base variant for Diesel. The Titanium variant starts at 8.14 ex-showroom. Plus a vehicle that is going to be out of production sooner than later, it does not make sense especially since i'll keep the vehicle for atleast 7 years.
Incidentally - just read this news

https://gaadiwaadi.com/ford-freestyl...november-2020/
Old 13th December 2020, 09:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
However, parts will not be an issue since the external parts are shared between Figo, Aspire and Freestyle and for the mechanical parts, EcoSport has the same engine. So, spares would not be an issue even if you intend to keep the car for 7-10 years. However if you're expecting Andriod auto/Carplay only the 2018-19 Freestyle and Aspire had it. The current models come with an android based flyaudio and no android auto/carplay except in the EcoSport S

Last edited by jithin23 : 13th December 2020 at 09:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks