Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 02:15   #31
BHPian

Re: All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Forced to replace my Punto diesel that is soon going to complete 10 years in Delhi. Due to Supreme court ruling, unwarranted financial burden on hapless citizens, otherwise my car is fit to run for 5 more years easily & passes current pollution norms. Plus I don't really like current crop of sub Rs 10 lakh vehicles.
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2011 Punto 90hp and am looking to replace it sometime in 2021 as I am craving a new car.

I had set a simple criteria as well:
- Within 11 Lakhs
- Diesel only (I am just so used to the torque and the tank range)
- SAFE (Coming from a Fiat this is a must)
- Should feel like an upgrade from the Punto
- Any additional modern gizmos are welcome.

I am not a fan of modern day Hyundai, Kia, Maruti & Honda. The Germans have stopped plonking diesels under the hood. Renault & Nissan just don't feel modern and no diesel in the Magnite.

Only choice left was Mahindra and Tata. The XUV 300 has poor boot-space and my personal observation somehow the car does not look proportionate to my eye. That leaves us with Tata.

I was totally sure it has to be the Nexon Diesel XMS (~11.2L on-road in Chennai) because of the great ground clearance, 20hp power upgrade from my current ride and 6-Speed MT. Goes without saying, big list of safety features in place.

But as I was digging more through the Tata website the Altroz Diesel XZ(O) (~10.3L on-road in chennai) caught my eye. Top spec hatch with all gizmos and not to mention similar space (boot space just 5L lesser than Nexon), additional features like (Cruise Control, rear Wash/Wipe, 6speaker music system, etc).

My only grouse with the Altroz is even though it is a great upgrade to my Punto, compared to the Nexon I am losing out the additional gear, 20hp and the ground clearance. But compared to the Altroz I am losing out on Alloys, Climate Control, Armrest, Adjustable rear headrest, rear AC vents, Cruise Control and mainly rear wash wipe (having lived with a hatch for 10 years this is a must have) in the Nexon.

Current dilemma is should I spend a lakh more for the Nexon (XMS) and additional 30-40k for aftermarket alloys OR Go for the top spec Altroz. I am yet to drive the Altroz, am keeping an open mind on the 90hp output as all reviews are very positive and the engine note also sounds sweet(at-least on youtube). But any pointers are welcome.

P.S. I have made up my mind that a Tata is going to be my next car, But just confused between these 2 specific variants.

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th December 2020 at 02:26. Reason: Adding information
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 07:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
... I have made up my mind that a Tata is going to be my next car, But just confused between these 2 specific variants.
Any reason for not considering the EcoSport?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2020 at 22:44. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

P.S. I have made up my mind that a Tata is going to be my next car, But just confused between these 2 specific variants.
Hi Shanksta, do take a TD of the Ecosport. I was almost sold on Nexon, but switched to ES after back to back test drives.
WizSatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Any reason for not considering the EcoSport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizSatish View Post
Hi Shanksta, do take a TD of the Ecosport. I was almost sold on Nexon, but switched to ES after back to back test drives.
The Ford Ecosport - Love the engine. Personally do not find it very appealing, definitely handles a little better than Nexon but not a fan of the overall design and the tailgate mounted spare wheel.

To me Nexon feels to be an edge above the Ecosport.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:51   #35
BHPian

I think the Ford Figo/Freestyle Diesel ticks all the boxes except for 3 Star Safety, Boot Space and the 6th gear. But once you drive the car, I doubt they will be deal breakers to you. Just TD once.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 14th December 2020 at 16:53.
Old 14th December 2020, 22:21   #36
BHPian

S cross is a decent car with the build quality as per the European standards.With the likely year end discounts ,a 10% increase in your budget could give you a very decent and worthy replacement for Fiat Punto.

However, S cross is is not under 4 metre length and it's NCAP ratings are not known .But considering all the above requirements, it could be a very perfect replacement for Punto.
Old 14th December 2020, 23:26   #37

I would suggest you to go for a petrol car due to the following reasons
1. Your running of 800 kms does not warrant a diesel car. The minimum price difference is 60k. You can invest that 60k by opting for a higher variant in petrol guise
2. You had kept the Punto for 10 years. If you get another diesel, you will again be in a similar dilemma 10 years down the line. I believe if you invest in the right petrol car, you can retain it for more than 10 years. That’s unless our NGT guys come up with a different plan

My choice would be Ecosport petrol. Wonderful engine. Or Go for the Nexon turbo petrol. The Ecosport is due for refresh soon. So think about it before deciding. If you firm up in a week or two, you can get some additional discounts due to year end.

Think about it and decide. After having used Punto, I can understand what you are going through.
Old 15th December 2020, 20:46   #38
BHPian

India made Figo / Aspire had an NCAP rating of 3 stars. But now this new test in Latin America of Ka (seems similar to Aspire - though don't know if they share the same platform / underpinning) gives zero stars.

https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ka-+-2-airbags
Old 17th December 2020, 18:19   #39
BHPian

So I'm preparing a comparison, similar to the professional ones i composed earlier across vehicle categories and price range. This current comparison is still work-in-progress but will still upload it soon.

The red (miss / less) & green (present / more) highlights are as per vehicles in this comparison and are based on presence or absence of a feature in a particular price range, as per my personal opinion & preference.

Please feel free to share your inputs, especially help me in filling the blanks in case you own either of these models and specific variants.
Old 17th December 2020, 19:19   #40
anb
BHPian

Quote:
India made Figo / Aspire had an NCAP rating of 3 stars. But now this new test in Latin America of Ka (seems similar to Aspire - though don't know if they share the same platform / underpinning) gives zero stars.

https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ka-+-2-airbags
Indian made Figo scored 4 stars in LNCAP in 2019. This is Brazil made Figo Sedan. It's difficult to score points in new LNCAP. A four star rated GNCAP vehicle might get only zero in new LNCAP. New LNCAP gives more weightage to side impact and ESC etc.

Last edited by anb : 17th December 2020 at 19:21.
Old 17th December 2020, 22:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
So I'm preparing a comparison, similar to the professional ones i composed earlier across vehicle categories and price range. This current comparison is still work-in-progress but will still upload it soon.

The red (miss / less) & green (present / more) highlights are as per vehicles in this comparison and are based on presence or absence of a feature in a particular price range, as per my personal opinion & preference.

Please feel free to share your inputs, especially help me in filling the blanks in case you own either of these models and specific variants.
Here is the comparison sheet. Most features are compared, but some cosmetic features and certain common basic features (child locks on rear doors) might not be mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi-2021a.jpg  

All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi-2021b.jpg  

All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi-2021c.jpg  

All-rounder car under 8.5 lakhs on-road Delhi-2021d.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks