1.5L Turbo-Diesel 202 74.54%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 11:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Turbo-Petrol vs Turbo-Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The car will also fetch higher resale & move quicker when its time to sell.
I wonder if the new enviromental regulations might change this in five or ten years though. Petrol seems a safer bet in some cases, but of course, it's quite hard to predict how things will be in the future.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My point-in-time vote is for the diesel. May change in future if the turbo petrol is improved and any possible niggles are ironed out.

Other points, as above - price, etc.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Diesel anyday. I assume a good remap, after the car has enough kms on the odo, will easily match Nexon figures, if not more. And if I remember correctly, the Altroz weighs a lot less than the Nexon, so will be a proper blast to drive once it is in the mid range and the turbo spools up.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 13:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

No point in buying a turbo petrol with just 5 gears, its better to have the Tata CSUV instead with higher output and better gearbox with same yet better performing petrol engine.

Last edited by i74js : 4th February 2021 at 13:13.
Old 4th February 2021, 14:04   #20
BHPian

Voted for the Diesel. If I have the budget, I will always go for the diesel because of better driveability and fuel efficiency when compared to the Turbo Petrol. Plus I find overtaking on highways much easier with a turbo diesel, and I love my highway trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Coming to the poll, I see that overwhelmingly people have chosen turbo Diesel, but the market sales even with the anemic petrol engine is in the ration 90+ to 10 percent. Shows how far from market realities the forum preferences are!
Yes, this is an enthusiasts' forum and does not reflect market realities at all. However, thanks to social media, nowadays a lot more people are aware of TBHP, which I'm hopeful will eventually influence purchase decisions. I have a couple of friends who are looking to purchase a car and are following different threads on TBHP avidly. Neither of them are members.
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Voted for Diesel.

The low end torque and fuel efficiency is good in a diesel.

I have driven a Tata Indica Xeta Petrol variant and was not impressed with their tuning. Some flat spots here and there across the range. So not sure how they have tuned now. But both Mahindra and Tata are masters at tuning their Diesel engines.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 15:09   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I will pick diesel. Petrol has only 140 Nm torque. Diesel is faster, better drivability and much higher fuel efficiency.
can't be so sure about "faster". just with peak torque numbers.
Reason :
140 Nm available over a 4000 rpm band (1500 to 5500)
v/s
200 Nm available over 1750 rpm band (1250 to 3000)

Clearly the turbo petrol has flatter spread, albeit with a lower torque number.
Hence, what if there is drag race or in-gear acceleration race between the two. Due to the flatter spread, the petrol guy can afford to remain one gear lower - which will translate to nearly same torque available at the wheels, as the diesel which has to be 1 gear higher.

I am tempted to stick my neck out and hedge my bets on the turbo petrol being faster, simply because it has more bhp. Torque deficiency can be overcome to an extent, by remaining in lower gears, and the availability of 140Nm all teh way from 1500 until practically the redline itself, bodes nicely for the requirement to simply no upshift from 3rd to 4th or from 4th to 5th.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 15:48   #23
BHPian

I live in NCR so no diesel by default. Also I keep my car's around for long time for example that scrapping policy is for people like me.

It's turbo for me.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

If I have an option of a Turbo Diesel, I would never choose a Turbo Petrol, its just not the same.

The torque of the diesel Altroz is 20 kgm, that of the petrol is 14 kgm. That's a lot of difference in a car of this size.

Plus the advantage of mileage, if you will gun the turbo petrol Altroz, you will witness the fuel gauge go down too, in a diesel, it will not even be a dent.

Go for the Diesel and enjoy the speed+torque+economy.
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 17:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Regardless of which engine you choose, I will say that both should have gotten the Nexon's tune with more power and the better 6-speed gearbox. The Altroz is a properly premium hatchback - I'd say more premium than the Nexon too - and deserved the increased power that the Nexon gets.

I have voted for the diesel

- The petrol is fine, but it doesn't rev too high and isn't "hot" at all

- If I'm not going to rev high anyway, I might as well enjoy the practicality of the diesel with its excellent driveability + longer tank range. Depending on the driving conditions, the diesel will be 30% (city) to 100% (driving hard) more fuel efficient. Turbo-petrols are very sensitive to a heavy right foot.

- I enjoyed the diesel's tractable nature more than the turbo-petrol's power delivery.

- Am pretty sure the diesel can be easily remapped to match or beat the Nexon's tune. Will have to check if the gearbox can handle the increased torque though.
Honestly does it not cost Tata to down spec engines? Designing the same, purchasing different turbos/ECMs, testing these extensively before mass manufacturing etc. don’t all these activities “cost“? In what way would keeping the same engine specs as the Nexon” hurt” the Nexon brand in any which way is beyond me
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 18:11   #26
NKB
BHPian

Tata Altroz : Turbo-Petrol vs Turbo-Diesel-screen1.jpg

I wanted to vote but on every poll it says "You may not vote on this poll". Don't know why so. If someone can help me on this. Raised query earlier (through 'Contact Us" I guess) but did not get any response.

Nonetheless, though I have a Nexon turbo Petrol and completely satisfied with it, still I would have voted for Altroz Diesel because 1. No much price difference, 2. Better driving experience and 3. economical.

I went for Nexon petrol keeping in mind the purpose, limited driving and resultant VFM. Remove these parameters, I would have bought Nexon diesel.

Also agree with GTO, Altroz deserved Nexon tune for the engines.
Old 4th February 2021, 19:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB View Post
Attachment 2118064

I wanted to vote but on every poll it says "You may not vote on this poll". Don't know why so. If someone can help me on this. Raised query earlier (through 'Contact Us" I guess) but did not get any response.
You need to be a BHPian to be able to vote. Newbies can't vote as per the forum rules. You need to have a minimum of 25 posts to qualify as a BHPian. It's mentioned in the forum rules.

Mods please correct or delete my post if I'm wrong.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 23:54   #28

Turbo-diesel over turbo-petrol at least for now.
Instead of making peace with one less cylinder and the niggles take all four and fairly reliable ownership since I feel turbo diesels are in very mature stage now. Not much difference in refinement levels too.
Efficiency - It should vary proportionally with throttle input. In turbo petrol it may fall into single digits with hard inputs.
Price -Where I reside, currently the price difference between petrol and diesel is 12 Rs. A simple calculation will give you around 2-2.5 Rs./km savings with diesel. Thus it will even out the extra premium you pay within a year or two. Plus diesel will fetch great resale value which makes up for the difference in service cost.
So for me either NA petrol otherwise turbo Diesel.
Old 5th February 2021, 06:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

In most mass-market Indian cars, Turbodiesel over Turbo-petrol anyday.

The Turbo-petrol engines are complex and the thermodynamic & chemical properties of gasoline makes it difficult to build a reliable engine. Turbodiesels have been perfected over decades. I don't expect mechanics to be competent in diagnsing engine trouble 10-12 years down the lane.

I might have considered a Toyota or a Honda turbo petrol over a Turbo diesel.
Old 5th February 2021, 10:39   #30
BHPian

Being driven both turbo petrol and Diesel (and still driving the turbo Diesel ), the economical ones are turbo diesel. The Petrol, once rev hard , the mileage will drop drastically .. Even a 1.0 litre turbo petrol which tells a 18KMPL in ARAI figures, will give you only less than 10KMPL, once you drive with heavy foot. But the performance is above the words too. But in Altroz, the tuning of Turbo is for more practicality than performance, so I believe the mileage also may not drop that much drastically. But still, I recommend a Diesel, which is more in size and more economical.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks