Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 10:43   #16
BHPian

the car which will satisfy almost all your requirement is INDICA
Old 24th April 2007, 11:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
May I dare to ask whats wrong with a Palio. And please not dont start with the usual poor A.S.S and all.
Ahhhh. You are new here I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
we are talking about space and capacity to seat 5 people right??
Yes. But vertical space or height even. Which the Palio lacks especially in the rear.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Yes Palio is not good for tall people, specially at the rear. I myself have experienced it for 2 years(i am 5,11) when i used to sit at the backseat of our car pool Palio 1.2.

BTW tall boys are out since none of them can sit 5 people comfortably. I think Getz will just about be adequate for your height+turban, and seating 5 in comfort. You may as well try out Indica D/P. Does have good space but not sure about the height. Maybe fellow members owning Indica can throw some light.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th April 2007 at 11:22.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:18   #19
BHPian

Yes indica offers ample legroom, headroom & sits 5 in comfort.I own one.

But it suffers from lesser pickup+taxi syndrome.Palio can be good option, but cant comment.

Better you check getz, indica, palio first hand for your body frame. All of them can provide a decent space for 5.

For me indica is ok(i am 5'11"), coz less initial cost, cheap to maintain, good FE(17.5kmpl in city for my diesel).

If pickup & power is you prime concern then go for palio or getz, as indica is a lazy lady, good only for cruising.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:21   #20
BHPian

With a requirement of 5 people and height space I recommend Getz 1.3, Palio 1.6 or Indica (Xeta / Turbo, due to average travel distance over 1000 km per month)

Alternate cars:
Swift - Driver seat can easily take you, but if the 3 people who are to sit in the rear is well built then stay away unless you want them to curse you in your ear for squeezing them there every time they are made to sit there.

Why not Wagon R/Santro? Fails the 5 people requirement. They will curse you even more than if they were to be in a Swift!

If your budget can be extended then I would recommend a Fusion! But if it cannot then the list above applies.... Just my two cents.
Why not Getz 1.1/Palio 1.1? With 5 people the car will feel very sluggish and underpowered as compared to the other cars that would whiz past your window.. If you feel you can live with this performance, then fine.

Alto? Fails both height and space criteria.

U-VA? Unsure about this car. Will have good space, but with 5 people, performace MAY be slugish but not to the extent of the Getz 1.1 and Palio 1.1

The above recomendation are based ONLY of the 5 people and Space criteria!!! If there are other criterias like millege, A**, refinement etc, then the options may/would change.

Last edited by DriverR : 24th April 2007 at 11:24. Reason: Additional information
Old 24th April 2007, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Raj,
Harryc has mentioned he requires ample headroom, as he's 6 feet 3 inchess tall, and also wears a turban. I am sure an Alto would require him to stoop inside the car.

Guys, taking his height into consideration, isnt one of the tallboy cars more suited for him? Not making any suggestions, as I am not sure about the headroom available in the cars he has mentioned.
Missed it completely... the height factor!!!

Santro == Tall boy design
U-VA == Really neat, gives a feeling of a big car, roomy interiors..(No, I am not quoting from the U-VA ad, but from the test drive)

A point to add here is, My BIL, is 6-2 and he did nt have a problem with Palio...at the front..but I am sure he will suffer at the back....
Old 24th April 2007, 11:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

BTW is the fifth member a kid?

In that case, wagonR would be perfect. Being the "tallest boy" in the 1.1 segment, it has more than enough height for your height + turban and seating 4 adults and a kid will be comfortable. Specially considering the fact that they have done away with split seats at the rear and made a flat bench.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
2. Now this is the most important – HEADROOM
4. I am not looking to buy a sedan as I have limited parking space.
If you can afford New buy new.

So you want a car that is big on the inside and small on the outside. Join the club. :-)

Since this is your first car I would recommend you decide between Tata, Maruti and Hyundai as they seem to have a decent level of A.S.S. Tata's Indica is larger than the Swift or Getz but it's fit and finish is not in the same class yet becuase you need the headroom it might be your best bet.

If you can afford the Fusion (7L) and if you local dealer offers good A.S.S (I would find and ask a few Fusion owners in your area) it would be another to consider.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:01   #24
BHPian

I wouldnt hesitate in suggesting the Wagon R. It is quite comfortable for tall people. Indica has very good headroom too.
As someone suggested, take a look at fusion, but be vary of its length, it is quite a big hatch

Good luck!
Old 24th April 2007, 12:01   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2. Now this is the most important – HEADROOM – Which hatchback around the 4 - 5 L budget has ample head room, as I am 6'3" tall? I also wear a turban (+ 2") and this adds to the pain of driving most of the small cars available in indian market. Would Maruti Suzuki's Swift be comfortable to drive? I am open to other cars too!
From the competitive hatches:

1. Tall boys - Santro. Superb hatch yet.

2. Indica (or even the Indigo fits in your budget). Very comfortable. Will accomodate you comfortably.

3. Getz?
Old 24th April 2007, 18:40   #26
Team-BHP Support

If you ask me, Indica or Getz are ok. Palio I won't suggest since being your 1st car (and by extension I take it this is your first step in the world of cars, service stations etc) and if it turns out to be one of those requiring frequent visits to the doctors you may get a bit harried (no pun intended).

Indica matches all your requirements as it fits the bill to the T. Its the most VFM as well. Getz is ok probably but not so VFM.
Old 24th April 2007, 18:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
3. Getz?
Dunno about headroom for 6' 3" + 2" Turban + at least 2" space above.

Actually I dont know about the Indica either at those height levels. He certainly wont be very comfortable in the back seat of most cars.

Err..what cars have you travelled by and which of those are you most comfortable in upfront?
Old 24th April 2007, 19:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harry, I suggest you test drive all the Cars - Palio Stile 1.1, Indica, Swift, Getz and then decide!

By the way, Palio 1.2 was my first car and I had no issues at all with regard to Service in the last 3 years (first 2 years there were only Fiat service centers). And I visited them just for routine service, once in six months.
Old 24th April 2007, 19:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
If you ask me, Indica or Getz are ok. Palio I won't suggest since being your 1st car (and by extension I take it this is your first step in the world of cars, service stations etc) and if it turns out to be one of those requiring frequent visits to the doctors you may get a bit harried (no pun intended).

Indica matches all your requirements as it fits the bill to the T. Its the most VFM as well. Getz is ok probably but not so VFM.
This is just hilarious. I really now hate getting myself into this pro/anti-fiat debates these days, but I truly found this hilarious.

I don't know how many Palio owners really complain about problem with their cars and A/S/S and I am yet to personally come across one, whereas there is no dirth of Indica owners complaining about xyz things failing apart. You discourage him from buying a Palio citing A/S/S issues, whereas suggesting Indica as fitting to the T. Ironically, both the cars will be serviced in the same Tata service center.

I am fine with Indica for its VFM factor and space. I don't know if Palio fits in his height considerations, so won't recommend it blindly. May be tall boys will work for him better than both Indica and Palio. I would rather suggest that, let him check them all out by personally sitting in each car and decide for himself.

Last edited by RX135 : 24th April 2007 at 19:58.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Indica/Getz/Santro will be perfect. My grandfather is 6'2" and he has no problem with the turban in either of them.
Santro is tight for 5 people. for that Indica/Getz are the only options left, and you can choose depending on your budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks