Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Wagon R Lxi from truevalue

Hi Guys,

I have just concluded a deal for purchasing a used Wagon R from True value (Vitesse). The model is Dec 2001 and comes with PS and AC. The odo days 44k and overall condition of the car is good. It seems the prior owner maintained it well. Its going to be cost me 2.03L. I know its probably 10% on the higher side but I get peace of mind, 1Y warranty and 3 free services. A new car would have cost me 4.00L. The true value staff mentioned that they wouldnt risk giving a 1Y warranty if the car was not in decent condition. They mentioned that they sell the problematic cars to car dealers.

Basically, this is my second car. The primary one being Getz. Settled for a used car as its going to be driven by a driver and overall usage will be less.

What do you says - did I make a good decision?

Last edited by risga : 21st May 2007 at 12:07.
Old 21st May 2007, 12:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
What do you says - did I make a good decision?
Its better for you to go through this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
Old 21st May 2007, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

That would of no use now since he has already bought the car. Yeah, it is a decent deal, but the warranty is just eye wash. They give warranty only on engine & gearbox which hardly ever fail.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:50   #4
BHPian

Thanks Esteem lover. You are right on the warranty. The peace of mind is from the fact that this is probably non accidented/ flooded (memories of 2004). Ofcourse before signing up, did basic checks such as checking the suspension, took a test drive, checked engine sound for any abnormalities, AC, feel of the gear-box. Infact, I have been checking out the used Wagon R's for couple of months. Have rejected quite a few on various grounds. I also had the opportunity to drive my father in law's new Estillo extensively last week while I was in Delhi. This one compared pretty well in terms of the pick-up, feel of the gear-box, clutch etc.

The inspection also showed the car was maintained well - such as anti rust treatment, condition of the seats, dashboard etc. There were few other cars of similar vintage with lots of scratches/ dents. The battery is less than a year old. The insurance had a no claim bonus of 25% and is valid for another 6 months. Have to get this transferred though.

Ofcourse, how well this turned out will only be known after 6 months or so. Will post a report on its performance 6 months down the line.
Old 21st May 2007, 15:34   #5
BHPian

Risga, sounds to be fair deal, condisering the fact that u have picked it up from True Value, atleaset they would hve finished most of the works on the car, if any ......and after all its peace of mind that matters, dosen't really hurt if u pay a little extra moolah for that :-)
Old 21st May 2007, 15:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... but I get peace of mind
That by far is the single most important factor in a car ownership. If you're satisfied thats all that matters
Old 21st May 2007, 16:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Hi Guys,

1 -> The model is Dec 2001 and comes with PS and AC. The odo days 44k and overall condition of the car is good. It seems the prior owner maintained it well. Its going to be cost me 2.03L.

2 -> I know its probably 10% on the higher side but I get peace of mind, 1Y warranty and 3 free services.

3 -> They mentioned that they sell the problematic cars to car dealers.
About 1: 44k for 5.5 years is 8k a year, even though it is on the lower side I would not consider it to be underused. Sounds like a good deal.

About 2: I bought a '05 August Baleno that had clocked 25k for 4,77,000/-
I know it is on the higher side, but getting Balenos and Wagon Rs in pristine order is a difficult deal (since most owners are satisfied with their cars) So look at the peace of mind part.

About 3: That is not completely true. Whenever a customer wants to buy another car on exchange, they check whether it is a first party owned car, hasn't met with any accidents and a few a other criteria. If it doesn't match any of their major criteria, they still take the car (because they have to sell a new one ) and call up the local dealers to get it sold.
Old 21st May 2007, 16:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

WagonRs are generally driven & maintained well. So you could have easily picked up a good car. congrats.
Old 21st May 2007, 16:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

risga, nice choice but no harm in taking along a friendly mechanic and inspect the condition of the car for yourself as well even if you are getting it from truevalue.

I have heard of instances where even truevalue guys have supposedly tampered around with the car.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 21st May 2007 at 16:35.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:20   #10
BHPian

@esteem_lover- "but the warranty is just eye wash. They give warranty only on engine & gearbox which hardly ever fail."

This not true my friend, I got my baleno for Maruti True value and after about 4 months the headlamps developed some cracks on them, spoke to the dealer and both the headlamps were replaced under warranty. Each Headlamp cost about 11k.
I really appreciate Maruti for providing warranty on the certified cars, it really helps.

Cheers
Hellcat
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here it is straight from the site

Quote:
Warranty Coverage: The warranty covers all mechanical and electrical parts except the following:
All wear and tear parts, parts worn due to aging, consumables like oil, filters, spark plugs, C.B. points, fuses, bulbs, paint problems, A/C gas leak, battery, tyres, rubber and plastic items.
The warranty varies with age & mileage of the car which is as shown below:

Maruti Suzuki certified true value used car company: buy second hand pre owned cars, warranty, 120 quality checks, refurbished with genuine accessories

Old 23rd May 2007, 09:50   #12
BHPian

True value charges 20% more than the market value of the car. Not really sure about warranty but the point is you do get peace of mind, if you are willing to spend 20% more. If you do not know much about cars or do not have a friendly mechanic, I would suggest true value. Else you can go ahead and buy directly from the seller and make the minor repairs to restore the car, with the help of a neighbourhood mechanic. It will be cheaper and also you will have the satisfaction that the vehicle was indeed refurbished by yourself and no doubts about it !
Old 30th May 2007, 17:30   #13
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your feed-back/ comments. I got delivery of the car yesterday and so far everything seems fine with the car. With 44 k on the odo, the car drives pretty well and gears are pretty smooth (as compared to a brand new Estillo). So I guess, all Wagon R owners, the gear-box gets better with age. After driving the Wagon R, the clutch and PS of my Getz feels harder.

The truevalue dealer has not yet given the warranty book and Engineer's certificate. He says these will be given along with the RC book post endorsement into my name. Ofcourse, have got photocopies of the RC book and insurance. He says, insurance can be transferred into my name once the RC endorsement is completed. Is it ok to drive the car in the interim. What happens if an insurance claim is required. Maybe, should be extra careful till all paper-work is completed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks