Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which automatic petrol hatchback under 11 Lakhs OTR Bangalore?
Tiago AMT 7 8.64%
Grand i10 AMT 5 6.17%
Swift AMT 15 18.52%
i20 Turbo iMT 12 14.81%
Honda Jazz CVT 33 40.74%
Others - please mention in the comments 9 11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic hatchback - Tiago vs i10 vs Swift vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexathor View Post
Cool.

For me it is Indian Vs Japs. (Punch vs Jazz).
Jazz is winning so far. I am ok with its looks. My major concern is about future of this model. Lets see where do I land.
Jazz is a good car, if you are okay with the looks. It felt better build than Amaze. Also the new one has sun roof too which brighten up the cabin.
Though the future of this model is questionable.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:54   #32
BHPian

Re: Automatic Petrol Car for elderly in remote location

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my father's Grand i10 Sportz 2015 car with an odo reading 55K km. He is 68 year old and he learnt driving when he was 55 year old. His first car was Alto 800 and second being Grand i10. He lives in a remote town with nearest service center of any major automobile maker at about 50 Km from the town.
HT
Out of the given cars, I would pick the Jazz given its practicality and reliability but as Honda India has confirmed that they won't be getting the refreshed version to India I would suggest to instead go with Honda Amaze S CVT. It will be costing close to 9L on road and is a capable car with 4 star safety. Build quality might not be very good when compared to Tata(s) or Mahindra(s) but still it is a better allrounder.

On a side note, if you are ok with increasing budget by 1.5L you would be able to get a Mahindra XUV 300 AMT for 11.5L W6.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Out of the given cars, I would pick the Jazz given its practicality and reliability but as Honda India has confirmed that they won't be getting the refreshed version to India I would suggest to instead go with Honda Amaze S CVT. It will be costing close to 9L on road and is a capable car with 4 star safety. Build quality might not be very good when compared to Tata(s) or Mahindra(s) but still it is a better allrounder.

On a side note, if you are ok with increasing budget by 1.5L you would be able to get a Mahindra XUV 300 AMT for 11.5L W6.
Thank you for your inputs. In-fact Amaze was good options from all the perspectives but my father is not comfortable with Sedan as he feels it is big vehicle and he will not be able to manage. For the same reasons, I had to let go Nexon and XUV300. Jazz feels very compact yet spacious inside. I am now waiting for Altroz DCT. I heard it is going to be released soon.
Hexathor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Picked the Swift

- Maruti has been doing AMT longer than TATA so the Tiago goes out
- Grand i10 loses because it from the Hyundai stable and second to Maruti
- i20 runner-up, only lacks the Maruti badge
- Honda Jazz not many on the road

This is how I would have thought. For me, its peace-of-mind above everything. Swift will keep all the friends and neighbours quiet, I would not have to explain whey I did not buy a Swift. Maruti is still 5-6 years away from being dethroned, even if that is done, its going to be in the top 3 for at least another 10 years.
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:20   #35
BHPian

Hi All,

I am currently owning Tata Nano XTA (2015 Model) and this query is for suggestions on suitable replacement option. The car will be primary driven by my wife and use will be strictly for city runs (average daily running 10-15 KMs). Nano has served us very well in the last 7 years, however due to the age and overall lack of safety features, I am considering to upgrade to a small hatchback. For highway runs we have 2021 Safari, so not looking add any bigger car in my garage. Below are the criteria for my selection:

1. Budget of up to 8.5 lacs OTR, max stretchable to 9 lacs OTR.
2. I plan to keep this car for long time (at-least 8+ years)
3. It has to be safer than Nano. While I would like to have 4+ Star GNCAP rating, I appreciate that there are not too many crash tested cars in this segment having higher ratings. Also since this will be a second car for city running, I shall be happy with something having a perceived strong build quality.
4. It has to be compact for my wife to take on narrow roads and tight turning spots.
5. It has to be automatic. After experiencing Nano, I wish I can avoid AMTs, however again, there are not too many non-AMT options within my budget. So I am okay for AMT options, with the hope that overall AMT cars have improved since 2015!
6. No used cars. I am of the view that for this budget, used cars may not offer much financial benefit. I may be wrong so any suggestions on this are welcome.

So with the above criteria, I started looking out for options and below is the summary:

Cars Not considered
- Any of the Maruti AMT Cars: I know Maruti cars drive well and are VFM, however somehow me and wife are not able to connect ourselves with any of the options. May be it is to do with looks, build quality or pure perception.
- VW Polo AT, Jazz CVT, i20 CVT/DCT, Altroz DCA: Either bigger in size or too old or out of my budget
- Datsun: Weak build quality, Didn't find them safe enough

Test Drove the Below Cars
Nissan Magnite: While it was bigger in size, I still did TD as I had read positive reviews of CVT. I was super impressed by the CVT box and for my own usage, I would have been happy to go with this option even though out my budget. But since my wife wanted a compact hatchback, we did not consider Magnite. Same with Kiger, even though I did not do the TD.

Tata Tiago AMT : Did two test drives, one by myself and other by wife. The TD car was abused and was not in a great condition. However, we both liked the overall package (looks, safety, build quality features, compact size) and the drive. We felt the NVH was higher and the AMT was somewhat jerky in B2B traffic. Of course it was not too bad much better than Nano. Overall Tiago appealed to both us and surely emerged as strong contender.

Tata Punch AMT: The test drive was okay and the AMT was not so bad and jerky (in comparison to Tiago), however we both felt since both Punch and Tiago share the same engine, why not Tiago as it is much cheaper than Punch. Also, Punch felt somewhat bigger than Tiago.

Hyundai Grand i10 Nios AMT: Nios with 4 cylinder engine to be much smoother and better AMT option in comparison to Tiago. The gearshifts were seamless (of course no where close to conventional AT. I drive Safari and can very well observe the differences) and engine noise was negligible. Also, the interiors were plush and the fit/finish seemed better than Tiago. The Sportz variant is priced almost same as Tiago XZA+ (8.64 L vs 8.52 OTR Pune) and has all the important features, except rear washer/wiper. The perceived build quality of Nios also seemed to be fine to me.

Renault Kwid AMT: Not sure if it was to do with TD vehicle but the drive was underwhelming and the pick up of the car was very s-l-ow. I had to press my accelerator very hard to reach speed of 50+. Came back disappointed. Add to that I found overall build and quality of materials flimsy

So from the above list, we have shortlisted i10 Nios and Tiago. Since I have been using Tata vehicles for so many years, I am keen to explore some other brand and am inclined more towards i10. At the same time, I am very well versed with the pros and cons of owning a Tata vehicle, so not having any brand bias. My wife is okay with either of the two, whichever is delivered earlier. My kids prefer the looks of Tiago but the interiors/features of i10!

The comparison summary so far (between Nios and Tiago)

Tiago AMT (XZA+) - 8.5 L OTR
+ External Looks
+ Compact Dimensions
+ 4 Star GNCAP Rating
+ Lesser Waiting period. The SA is confident that once I book, he will be able allot me a car within 3-4 weeks.
- 3 Cylinder Engine with slightly higher NVH
- Somewhat Jerky AMT at low speeds
- Limited rear seat Head room (for taller passengers)
- Priced almost similar to Nios Sportz (which offers similar features and some more e.g. rear AC)

i10 Nios AMT (Sportz) - 8.64 L OTR
+ Fit and Finish
+ Plush interiors
+ Compact Dimensions
+ Rear Seats and headroom seems better
+ Smooth 4 Cylinder Engine & Better AMT Setup
- 2 Star GNCAP rating
- Missing rear washer/wiper (unless I opt for Asta Variant, costing 70k more)
- Not a fan of Front Exterior looks (however it might grow over period of time!)
- Waiting period quoted as 4-5 months (even though SA is saying he can try his best to get the car earlier)

Both Tiago and Nios are offering ~35K discount

I am now in a dilemma as to which one should I choose. My the heart says Tiago (due overall safety considerations) while the head says i10 (found it VFM) :-). So I am looking for inputs from respective owners on their experiences and also if anyone has evaluated similar options.

Appreciate your comments and views.
Old 4th April 2022, 17:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
Hi All,

My the heart says Tiago (due overall safety considerations) while the head says i10 (found it VFM) :-).

I think you must be the first buyer ever to call i10 Nios AMT VFM

For just a lakh more you can get a Honda Amaze S CVT, which is a segment higher, a proper automatic and with a 4 star safety rating.

Love how far Tata has come with its offerings, but IMHO, the Tiago AMT is just not worth it. Poor driving experience and dodgy after sales.

PS: Do keep in mind while finalizing that a lot of cars are due for updates. A refreshed i10 is likely early next year. Also, by Oct more airbags may become mandatory.

Last edited by naru80 : 4th April 2022 at 17:15.
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 17:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Thanks for a quick reply and appreciate your inputs. The VFM is mainly from a point of the overall package considering the engine, better AMT (compared to others) features, interiors, fit/finish etc.

Yes agree that for ~1 Lac more, I may get proper automatic, however my budget is already stretched for a second car and 1 lac addition will further impact my cash flow. Also, all the cars in 9.5-11 lac segment (including Amaze) are bigger in size.

If I choose any of these, then it will dilute the purpose of second car (compact, easy to drive in city traffic) and my wife will end up not using it for short runs. For instance, I was sold on Magnite @ 10.5 Lacs OTR but my wife simply refused stating that it will be in the parking area more. So I am trying to strike a balance between size, safety, features, build quality, price and convenience.

Regarding refreshes and facelifts, I fully agree with you, but the more I wait, the more will be the cost. I am looking for a car in next couple of months as we are finding difficult to continue with Nano anything more than that.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 4th April 2022, 18:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I was sold on Magnite @ 10.5 Lacs OTR but my wife simply refused
Same story here I was sold on the Kiger but it was rejected outright by my wife.

But she found Amaze easy to drive. Would strongly suggest a TD before final decision!

Last edited by naru80 : 4th April 2022 at 18:39.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:11   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am now in a dilemma as to which one should I choose. My the heart says Tiago (due overall safety considerations) while the head says i10 (found it VFM) :-). So I am looking for inputs from respective owners on their experiences and also if anyone has evaluated similar options.

Nios is a more polished & practical version of Swift, a bit dull to drive in comparison but the refinement and comfort more than makes up for it. The Sportz AMT is indeed a good VFM purchase.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 13:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
i10 Nios AMT (Sportz) - 8.64 L OTR
+ Fit and Finish
+ Plush interiors
+ Compact Dimensions
+ Rear Seats and headroom seems better
+ Smooth 4 Cylinder Engine & Better AMT Setup
- 2 Star GNCAP rating
- Missing rear washer/wiper (unless I opt for Asta Variant, costing 70k more)
- Not a fan of Front Exterior looks (however it might grow over period of time!)
- Waiting period quoted as 4-5 months (even though SA is saying he can try his best to get the car earlier)

Sorry to spoil the party, but Sportz AMT has been discontinued by Hynudai in April. I was also about to book the same model for Dad but SA informed the bad news.

Quote:
It is indeed VFM. You realize once you go to the market. If you need compact car with good AMT and basic premium features (Parking Camera, Foldable ORVM, Alloys, Touch Music System, ACC), good fit and finish and good after sales, there is simply no option in my opinion.

Swift, Baleno, Venue, Punch - All these are atleast 1-2 lakh or more costlier.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 17th April 2022 at 13:16.
Old 18th April 2022, 15:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Baleno, Venue, Punch - All these are atleast 1-2 lakh or more costlier.

For just one lakh more than the i10 you can get a proper CVT in Amaze, Magnite and Kiger. They are a segment higher too! I would call them VFM.

Last edited by naru80 : 18th April 2022 at 15:18.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 19:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
For just one lakh more than the i10 you can get a proper CVT in Amaze, Magnite and Kiger. They are a segment higher too! I would call them VFM.
May be you are bit mistaken. The features like rear camera, defogger, alloys, ACC, touch screen music system which are offered in i10 Sportz AMT priced at 7.29 lakhs are available only in Amaze VX CVT priced at 9.16 laks ex showroom. It would make on road price difference close to 2.25 lakhs or more.
Old 18th April 2022, 22:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
The features like rear camera, defogger, alloys, ACC, touch screen music system which are offered
If you find it VFM, go ahead and buy. You don't have to convince others.

Personally, I put a premium on safety rating and better transmission over stuff like alloys and touch screen.

But to each his own!
Old 9th May 2022, 19:17   #44
BHPian

Seeking Advice: Compact Automatic Transmission Car for my dad

Hi Team - Thanks to all of you for helping with my decision to buy a Kia Seltos (DCT Automatic top trim) for my dad just over couple of years ago (he took delivery on 11/11/2019) and loves the car...main usage is for long drives to relatives/village/new delhi/chandigarh etc.

He also has a 11 year old Maruti Swift is for local usage (he doesn't have a two wheeler) but it's falling apart and he wants something compact for the everyday local driving so he can easily maneuver the bylanes in the market. He is turning 70 next year and prefers an automatic transmission for ease of use.

Can you recommend cars that are compact/automatic transmission that would be great for local usage - don't want to spend too much if we don't have to. This will be a second car for local use only so as long as it has backup camera/Auto trans - my dad should be fine.

Some that come to mind: Tata Tiago / Maruti Celerio / Hyundai Santro.....

I live in US and was planning on going to India this summer but it didn't work out so will just have to guide him from there. Thx a lot for your time.

Last edited by panamera13 : 9th May 2022 at 19:18.
Old 18th May 2022, 07:36   #45

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my father's Grand i10 Sportz 2015 car with an odo reading 55K km. He is 68 year old and he learnt driving when he was 55 year old. His first car was Alto 800 and second being Grand i10. He lives in a remote town with nearest service center of any major automobile maker at about 50 Km from the town.

Update to this thread:
I have finally booked Altroz XZA with DCT. I waited for few months because I wanted Altroz to be launched with DCT.

My thoughts while booking Altroz XZA:
+ Safety most important factor (third Tata car in our family after Hexa and Nexon)
+ Great looking car, I showed it to my parents and they loved it.
+ Indian product
- Worried if DCA will be reliable

Other cars which were considered and canceled:
* Honda Jazz: Only reason to drop was old design and model which will be irrelevant after few years.
*Tata Punch: Don't like the looks.
* Hyundai Grand i10: He already owns manual one and lower safety

Last edited by Eddy : 18th May 2022 at 08:14. Reason: shortening the quoted portion to improve readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks