Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2021, 14:23   #1
BHPian

Maruti WagonR : 1.0L with factory-fit CNG kit vs 1.2L with after-market CNG

A very peculiar problem that I came across over the weekend while discussing a new car purchase option with a friend (disclaimer - the guy is too much of a fanatic when it comes to vehicle specs and output figures , yet we’re childhood buddies )

His requirements-
1. Should be a hatchback. To be used as a beater car, with Ertiga Petrol as a primary option.
2. Monthly running will be around 500 kms - mostly within Mumbai
3. Has to be a Maruti.

Obvious choice - WagonR 1.0 CNG is the default choice, but CNG performance is not something the guy wishes to live with. Having test driven the car plus on-paper specs puts him off, hence the confusion. Next up was Xcent CNG, but again - compromise on maneuverability and budgest issues + Hyundai, putting it out of question.

Wild card entry - WagonR 1.2
Difference in power output from WagonR 1.0 and 1.2 petrol engines is sufficient enough for him to consider the latter. WagonR 1.2 Petrol is noticeably better - very refined, enough power available to navigate within Mumbai traffic at low speeds, reducing the need for frequent downshifts from 3-2-1 and ride quality as well is a bit better than the 1.0.

Dilemma -
Is it fine to go ahead with WagonR 1.2 and get an external CNG kit fitted in the car? There will be a difference in power from CNG and Petrol, yet, we’re hopeful that the 1.2 CNG option will be better, refined and more fun to own and to live with, than the factory fitted 1.0. CNG.

I feel it is too much of a gamble to -
1. Get the after market CNG fitment done, especially when you have the OEM option available
2. The premium 1.2 commands over 1.0 doesn’t interest me to go for all the hassles and hazards involved with market purchased CNG kits
3. And the presumable difference in power that he may get from the 1.2 CNG is also not proven anywhere.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 21st November 2021 at 14:36. Reason: Typo
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 14:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti WagonR : 1.0L with factory-fit CNG kit vs 1.2L with after-market CNG

For the needs of your friend, the regular WagonR 1.0 should also be ok. It will give him the boot space if occasionally needed. If at all CNG, is chosen it's always recommended to go for the factory fitted option. I believe there would be no second opinion on the hazards of aftermarket fitting, especially in an untried variant.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st November 2021 at 14:33.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whether factory fitted or not CNG tank will eat up the boot space completely. That said with even pedal to metal he should be prepared to be overtaken by a moped. Frankly I don't see the point of using CNG in private cars especially running just 500kms a month. If your using the vehicle for commercial purposes I can understand. CNG for low running = penny wise pound foolish. Is your friend a traveling salesman?

Last edited by Durango Dude : 21st November 2021 at 16:38.
Durango Dude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this possible:

Wagon-R 1.2 with CNG fitment using Maruti's parts ?
Though, nothing like a factory fit.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Right now, in many places, you cannot endorse CNG on the RC of a BS6 car. That’s a huge issue here up in NCR, and might be the case in Mumbai as well. No RC endorsement means the car becomes liable to be challaned and the insurance becomes invalid. A huge risk. Do confirm with local installers if they can get the kit endorsed on the RC. Proceed only if that is possible. Otherwise, you are limited to only factory fitted CNG cars, which come only from Maruti and Hyundai. A very limited choice, and all of the lower variant.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of CNG vehicles, but if I need one, I would pick a car that comes fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, period. I feel the k10 is more than enough for a city like Mumbai.
rakesh_r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Whether factory fitted or not CNG tank will eat up the boot space completely. That said with even pedal to metal he should be prepared to be overtaken by a moped. Frankly I don't see the point of using CNG in private cars especially running just 500kms a month. If your using the vehicle for commercial purposes I can understand. CNG for low running = penny wise pound foolish. Is your friend a traveling salesman?

This is a huge misconception. With a properly installed sequential kit, there is negligible drop in performance. Certainly in regular city driving, it is actually hard to discern. Even for running as low as 500km a month, you are looking at a petrol cost of 3-4-5K a month depending on car and mileage, while gas will cost about 1000bucks. You’ll recover the initial cost in an year. CNG makes perfect sense for urban usage, and wherever boot space in only occasionally needed.

And in a box shaped car like WagonR, you retain space to keep at least 2 cabin sized bags in the boot even after the CNG installation. There are lakhs of WagonRs and Altos and Celerios running successfully on gas all across India.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st November 2021 at 17:49.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Aftermarket kits can never match up to Factory fitted kits. Period.

You will almost never face tuning issues or other niggles that come regularly with aftermarket kits, unless the installer is a master, few visits after installation are required for fine tuning.

Also for after market kits warranty goes for a toss, the installer would not take up any post-install issues diligently.

I would from my experience of both after market and factory fitted S-CNG kit would suggest to go for factory fitted one. In case your friend is not happy with 1.0 engine, the Swift with 1.2 will be available with CNG very soon. He can wait and go for that if budget is not a constraint.
yogiii is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 20:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Let me be tye devil's advocate. I would suggest the 1.2L Wagon-R for best of both worlds. The only issue one may feel insecure about is the quality of CNG kit from outside installer.

But, having managed 2 CNG cars I can say that there's hardly any difference, except tye convenience of service. In case of factory fitted kit all aspects of service, including that for CNG kit are handled at the authorised service centre. But, in case of third party installations the car owners are lazy about getting it serviced at regular intervals & go for corrective repairs only.

If your acquaintance us particular about service aspects & ready for extra effort for CNG kit service, I'm sure 4-cylinder 1.2L Wagon-R will be better as it will be powerful yet extra fuel efficient with CNG.

Otherwise, it's better to go for vehicle with factory fitted kit.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 20:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Please get confirmation on endorsement of BS6 vehicle with CNG. Not a lot of RTOs are doing it. If you can then go ahead with the 1.2, but then it's better to consider the Ignis in that case. K12 works well with CNG, aftermarket kit shouldn't be a major issue.

If the endorsement is not possible, get the 1.0 or speak to the dealer if he can get you the Dzire tour with a private registration.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 00:47   #11
BHPian

If the monthly running is only ~500km then why bother with a CNG car at all?

My suggestion would be to ask your friend to drop the CNG option and to look at the petrol Renault Kwid or if it absolutely NEEDS to be a Maruti Suzuki then tell him to look at the petrol WagonR (both 1.0 and 1.2 are good).

Also tell him to look past the typical Indian stereotype of "I will only buy a Maruti" and ask him to TD both the WagonR and Kwid.
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:40   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti WagonR : 1.0L with factory-fit CNG kit vs 1.2L with after-market CNG

He doesn't need a CNG kit for such low running. Tell him to get the WagonR 1.2L; that engine has made this practical breadbox car into something fun! I used it around Bombay for a weekend and loved its performance + practicality.

If CNG is absolutely imperative though (say, anticipated higher running in the future), then I would go for factory fit. Safety, reliability, warranty, lesser long-term issues. Would never trust my family's safety with an after-market CNG / LPG install. Ever.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:56   #13
BHPian

Aftermarket conversion is not an option with BS6 currently atleast. The car will not pass pollution tests and hence CNG won't be endorsed on RC. This makes the decision easy really, get 1.0 CNG as it is the only viable option.

Might I suggest i10 Nios. It is a much better car and loaded to gills in the Sportz variant. I myself use it and it is very refined. One does not feel any ill effects of CNG at all besides the foregone bootspace. The interior is also far ahead of anything MS has come up with.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd November 2021 at 11:29. Reason: spacing for improved readability
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is this possible: Wagon-R 1.2 with CNG fitment using Maruti's parts ? Though, nothing like a factory fit.
Very much possible. CNG Dealers in the market are of the opinion that we can install a sequential CNG kit in the 1.2 L WagonR. OEM dealers aren't warming up to this thought, but private fitting experts are ok with the thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
but then it's better to consider the Ignis in that case.
The next obvious choice is Xcent, rejected - a sedan + budget issues. Ignis wasn't considered (don't know why!). New gen Celerio did pop up once in our discussion, though no clarity on when will the CNG variant be launched as I write here.

Quote:
K12 works well with CNG, aftermarket kit shouldn't be a major issue. If the endorsement is not possible, get the 1.0 or speak to the dealer if he can get you the Dzire tour with a private registration.
Too much of a hassle actually. Plus, the dealer we spoke to says there's some huge tax liability if we wish to purchase a vehicle meant for commercial running to be used as a private car. Didn't bother prodding more into it, as the guy wants a compact hatchback, with Ertiga available as the primary car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
If the monthly running is only ~500km then why bother with a CNG car at all?
Running on petrol currently works up to about INR 10/- a km, CNG comes up to about 4/- a km. Monthly running of 500 kms will result in a straightaway saving of INR 3000/-. CNG therefore makes for a strong, cost effective alternative in itself.

Quote:
Also tell him to look past the typical Indian stereotype of "I will only buy a Maruti" and ask him to TD both the WagonR and Kwid.
I suggested him the Santro/i10 Nios, won't work here. Dead firm on Maruti, especially WagonR - budget constraints, plus heart over head case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
He doesn't need a CNG kit for such low running. Tell him to get the WagonR 1.2L; that engine has made this practical breadbox car into something fun! I used it around Bombay for a weekend and loved its performance + practicality.

If CNG is absolutely imperative though (say, anticipated higher running in the future), then I would go for factory fit. Safety, reliability, warranty, lesser long-term issues. Would never trust my family's safety with an after-market CNG / LPG install. Ever.
Even I'm inclined to opt for a factory fitted option, as CNG is a MUST. I'm somewhat sure performance from after market CNG kits on 1.2L will be better than factory fitted CNG on 1.0L (engine size and 3 vs 4 cylinder POV matters as well), but haven't come across any such sample neither are the OEM dealers confidently responding to our query, making the closure difficult.
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:12   #15
BHPian

BS6 approval for CNG is not available for retrofitment. Better go for factory fitted car.

Also I recently installed CNG kit in my 2015 Wagon R. It is decent performance wise, I regularly take it on expressway and keeping up with traffic is not a problem, it easily cruises at 110-120 km/h.

In city traffic, it becomes slightly sluggish, but that is inherent with the K10b engine. Factory fitted CNG Wagon R won't be as sluggish in city.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed