Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 09:51   #1
BANNED

USED Alto or Santro..suggestions plz

I m planning to go for used ALTO or SANTRO . i have listed vehicle which are basically 2003 or 2004 with about 40-45000km usage though i like to have 30K max usage. Basic models with AC are available
and in one with power steering. my usage is mixed with city and highway in 60:40 ratio
about 800-1000km per month. so i m also planning to go for LPG after the purchase..so in this scenario which is better and psbl suggest me a pricing idea.to be used with 2 or max 2 persons only. less maintenance ,effective mileage with good AC are the primary requisite .
My budget is max 2lakh. not particular about SYSTEM . any good source in chennai for buying this.pl let me know so i can add that to my list .TIA.
Old 12th June 2007, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

If u are buying an used car then Alto would be a good option..
Also with 2lac budget there's more chance of getting a good condition Alto than a Santro..
Old 12th June 2007, 10:12   #3
BHPian

Considering your requirements I would suggest you to go for an Alto . You can buy it from Maruti true value. For a 2003/04 model you can even manage LPG conversion for 2Lacs in my opinion.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go for the alto if you are looking at good a/c and a car only for two people
Old 12th June 2007, 11:22   #5
BHPian

shapath - go for an alto if FE is important to you.it slightly more cramped than santro.

go for an LPG tank which fits into the spare wheel well in the boot(like wagon R DUO).that way you can use the boot also.bigger capacity tanks will eat up the whole boot.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:57   #6
BHPian

Based on your requirements and budget, Alto would be a good option.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If u are buying an used car then Alto would be a good option..
Also with 2lac budget there's more chance of getting a good condition Alto than a Santro..

Absolutely right. 2 reasons for a used Alto
Old 12th June 2007, 12:08   #8
BHPian

Wow !! all votes for Alto. no doubt Alto would fit in to your bill and requirement. Less maintenance, Great mileage and good performer. Alto is clear winner in your given scenario.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:23   #9
BANNED

ALTO..Maruti TrueValue offer..what is your quote

right now with chennai these are two quotes. what will be your price/quote.
assume that there is no additonal accessories like system or C Lock.

Alto Lxi 2004 Starlite Silver 14988km price- 245000
Alto Lxi 2003 MIAMI GOLD 43093km price- 223000

http://www.marutitruevalue.com/Buyer...ch.y=11#search
Old 12th June 2007, 12:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

one friend was trying to buy a used maruti small car thru' true value.. they are too damn expensive (altos, zens,etc.. esp zen)!! i mean.. it will work out to be < 5% depreciation per year?!?! this was in Hyd.. i dont expect it to be different in Chennai.. used cars are very expensive in south... not worth the trouble unless some friend or relative is selling the vehicle.

Buy a new Alto.. or a used wagonR (i heard they sell cheap relatively)
Old 12th June 2007, 13:10   #11
BHPian

Have you considered a Maruti 800 AC , New one with dealer honoured Warranty after LPG or CNG. Its decent, cost saving, Good enough AC and after a few years you could change her for a New Saloon and still not loose out so much on a Third Hand Car.

You won't need Power Steering, AC just about cools well, Considering the Mileage you are going to clock, a Second hand will take in Maintainence sooner than a New Machine..!

You can also wait for the Hyundai Santro CNG, coming out by June end or early July, Pay the Extra amount on EMI, since you will as it is save considerably on CNG.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 12th June 2007 at 13:13.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for ALto, it will work out well when u want to put LPG....

Abhi
Old 12th June 2007, 16:04   #13
BANNED

Hyundai Santro CNG ..Not Viable in chennai-HMIL Managing Director

Thanks for your response. but CNG version is not for chennai .for more info.
Hyundai Motor to launch Santro's CNG version

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Have you considered a Maruti 800 AC , New one with dealer honoured Warranty after LPG or CNG. Its decent, cost saving, Good enough AC and after a few years you could change her for a New Saloon and still not loose out so much on a Third Hand Car.

You won't need Power Steering, AC just about cools well, Considering the Mileage you are going to clock, a Second hand will take in Maintainence sooner than a New Machine..!

You can also wait for the Hyundai Santro CNG, coming out by June end or early July, Pay the Extra amount on EMI, since you will as it is save considerably on CNG.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
used maruti small car thru' true value.. they are too damn expensive (altos, zens,etc.. esp zen)!!
Dont you think the TRUE VALUE guys change a lot of things? you dont see scratches and dents on a TRUE VALUE approved car, nor do you see bald or well used tyres on these cars..

I feel if you are ready to shell out a tad above the market rate, TRUE VALUE cars are worth it, and they give you a 1 year warranty and 3 free services.

Getting a car off the market we dont know how the suspension is, or if there is crack somewhere deep down.. but with TRUE VALUE cars, we can rule out such misfortunes...
Old 15th June 2007, 08:20   #15
BHPian

i wish to differ here. go for a second hand santro. its a very comfortable car first of all and a sturdy car second. Your parents/elders will like it. My 70+yrs old uncle loves the santro than his son's Alto.

Technically superior engine, Good gear shift and solid feel even at 100kmph+ onwards. I am driving one for the last two years almost, a 2nd hand one. Solid build quality when comparing any Maruti ones. Alto is a cramped one and you better sit in both and get out esp the rear seat. then you know what i talk about. 3 persons can sit in the back in Santro including a 6feet like me.

FE is just 2km per liter difference in city does not help much. You can take santro to high ways without worries, but I dont think you can do the same with Alto with that much confidence.

Test drive both and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks