Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 10:34   #1
BHPian

Advice about Swift CRDI and choosing a car.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a second car. I test drove the swift ddis and was happy with the performance.

I have a question about the DDIS CRDI engine. What would be the expected life of the engine before re-sleeving assuming that I do not abuse the engine.

The Bigger diesels last a long time, I do not know how the smaller cubic capacity engines fair.

Is there any study or review done on the life of these smaller CRDI engines? Especially the Swift engine. How many kms can I expect before the performance tapers off? How many kms before I need to rework the engine?

I asked the sales and service guy at BIMAL, bangalore . The sales guy gave misinformation and the service guy was decent enough to tell me that he does not know as the DDIS models are new.

Currently, I am looking for a second car which will be a single passenger car (just me driving) to make runs between bangalore and madras, Bangalore and coimbatore, bangalore and Kumbakonam. I drive about 1800 kms per month.

I was impressed with the palio, but I am afraid of FIAT's service. I find the Getz, spacious but over priced compared to Suzuki swift.

I want a max speed of 160Kmph so that I can cruise comfortably at 120kmph. I want good highway mileage. My budget is 7Lakhs

Any advice on car models is most welcome.

Ram
Old 13th June 2007, 14:17   #2
BHPian

Mods, this should be in what car...right?

btw, Pls add Safety into your wishlist as that of mileage/saving money as you are in road for longer time. Esp when you want to drive at 120kmph most of the time, that too in India, you better be going for a vehicle with strong safety features (ABS/EBD, ABs, crumple zones, collapsible SC). Good safety features are not a bad expenditure esp for your family! Juz my 2c. Good luck.

btw, my suggestion would be SX4 with ABS/EBD/Air bags and you need to stretch a little bit for those safety package which no other car gives in this range.

Last edited by sgmuser : 13th June 2007 at 14:19.
Old 13th June 2007, 15:25   #3
BHPian

Dear RRNS ,

My advice would be ford fiesta or hyundai verna .. but it will expand your buget a little.

if you are open for petrol check out honda city and SX4 very good VMF.

Ps i own Swift DDIS ... as per suzuki website this engine should last around 5,00,000 KM but on indian conditions it should be 2,50,000 atleast.
Old 15th June 2007, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Swift

Thank you for your response.

I have selected Swift because I can get EBD and ABS ( no air bags though ) and Diesel all in one package.

I tried the SX4 and Verna, but the leg room for the driver is the biggest in Getz and next is swift.

Unfortunately Getz seems a bit costly for the ameneties ( No diesel but cost 6L ).

Swift seemed like good value for money. Sadly the waiting period is 5 months.

What is special about the Getz that the petrol version costs almost the same as a top end Swift diesel?
Old 15th June 2007, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Finish, interiors and quality of the material are really good in Hyundai - Getz. though i own a Vdi, i really like the finish and the small things Hyundai has provided in the car, which really distinguishes it from others. having said all these things...still i love my vdi
Old 15th June 2007, 14:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

The engine is tried and tested, and will outlast the car if you do not abuse it. Only issues which may happen(can be any crdi) is bad fuel killing the pump.
If your running justifies a diesel its an excellent car but keep in mind the waiting period.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:42   #7
BHPian

Any idea if they will be releasing a diesel Getz? Looks like there is monopoly by Swift DDIS in that segment
Old 15th June 2007, 20:09   #8
BHPian

As you would be mainly using the highways safety is a big concern.. why dont you go in for a 2-3 yr old skoda if not a problem with pre used. You can get all the safety goodies and a big comfotable car in that budget..

The Swift diesel is a nice car though if considering new you may also look at Accent/viva models from hyundai.. The accent seems to be soon replaced but it does have all the safety equipments and great VFM.. If you can strech your budget you can have a ford fiesta or an Aveo...
Old 15th June 2007, 20:34   #9
BHPian

They dont make the hyundai accent CRDE any more, it has been replaced by verna. Does Verna have Airbags and ABS?
Old 15th June 2007, 20:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
My advice would be ford fiesta or hyundai verna .. but it will expand your buget a little.
My friend has both Swift diesel and Ford fiesta. And says except for the refinement part, Swift is better to drive.

Hyundai Verna isnt exactly a dream package. Complaints are cropping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Unfortunately Getz seems a bit costly for the ameneties ( No diesel but cost 6L ).Any idea if they will be releasing a diesel Getz? Looks like there is monopoly by Swift DDIS in that segment
Imagine the price when a diesel CRDi goes in? Going by Hyundai pricing, the diesel would be a whooping 75k - 1L above the petrol.
Old 15th June 2007, 20:40   #11
BHPian

Does AVEO come in CRDI? I like diesel engines better than petrol engines for some reason ( Personal preference ) . I am also a bit weary of used cars. May be I need to bite the bullet and get a new verna, take it to coimbatore and get the driver seat pushed back. As long as it has ABS and airbags. BTW, some one told me that if the air bag pops out due to a "fender bender" , IT WOULD TAKE 1 LAKH rupees to put the air bag back in, is this true?
Old 15th June 2007, 20:46   #12
BHPian

Are bigger cars safer on the highway than smaller ones? ABS, side impact bars and seat belts get you 90% of the way. Am I correct in my assumption?

I dont want to shell out 14 lakhs for the skoda. I want a diesel car, that is very practical and safe around 7 lakhs. The cars in that segment / price range are very limited, actually only one car , swift.

I dont know if Chevy or ford have any competitiors in that segment
Old 15th June 2007, 21:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

@rrnss- Swift Vdi waiting times can kill you! I am half dead already. So keep that in mind if you are going to make a booking.
Old 16th June 2007, 09:57   #14
BHPian

You might want to consider an (used) Elantra CRDi, if you dont want to wait for the Swift.

Here's a ownership report on the Elantra
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...1-5-years.html

Seems to be an awesome car, ideal for highway use. Has all the goodies you were asking about.
Old 16th June 2007, 10:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Pertaining to the life of small diesel engines, I found these resources;

1. Old article, but engineering themes shouldnt have changed much over the years: SpringerLink - Journal Article

2. Excerpt from a product company, abt another potential problem with common-rails.

Quote:
With the introduction of high pressure diesel common rail injectors a few years ago, we now experiencing new diesel engine problems due to the failure of the diesel injectors. It has been found that a significant percentage of failures are caused by excessive return flow from the diesel common rail injectors. This back leakage problem within the diesel common rail injectors is causing hard starting, erratic idling and lack of power.
Diesel injectors, diesel engine problems, united diesel uk

But practically the 1.3 MJD in the Swift should serve you well if you ensure pure diesel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks