Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Tata Altroz would you buy?
1.2L Petrol MT 4 1.59%
1.2L Petrol DCA 42 16.73%
1.2L Turbo-Petrol MT 60 23.90%
1.5L Diesel MT 145 57.77%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 22:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz | 1.2L Petrol vs 1.2L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't translate into an altroz ad with a blurb saying xyz engine is the team bhp choice, because all the engine options suck, and i hope people are not unwittingly making recommendations for something they would never recommend outside of this very specific situation
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 22:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz | 1.2L Petrol vs 1.2L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

Voted the 1.5 Diesel wish Tata had a proper automatic to go with it...it would sell like hot cakes with a proper TC automatic gear box and no AMT's please!
Old 27th April 2022, 00:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Can it not be remapped to match the power output of Nexon? It is the same engine after all. There are quite a few posts on this on another relevant thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The engine is the same - but I believe the transmission isn't. Nexon has a different 6MT, which allows for the higher torque & power that the engine can generate. Hence the lower state of tune in the Altroz in factory spec. Maybe someone can tune the map differently and the 5MT may support that too, but warranty will be void for sure if one can find the revised map.
Also, the difference in FGT in Altroz vs VGT in Nexon could account for some difference, I guess.

WRT remap, I have bought the 2+3 years extended warranty and I wouldn't want to meddle with the ECU. If the Nexon spec is launched some day, I would trade mine for that.
Benoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 00:47   #19
BHPian

Cannot "vote", but my vote goes to the iTurbo variant. The diesel is impressive and not far too expensive compared to the iTurbo variant, but the DPF issues really make me very apprehensive. Plus, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving the iTurbo variant of the Altroz, so my choice would remain the turbo. It is probably the most sensible turbo engine I can think of, an engine that doesn't necessarily make it a "hot hatch", but an adequately powerful engine that has linear acceleration making it easy to handle in stop-and-go traffic as well.

In other words, for now (now, being the keyword here):

1.2L i-Turbo Petrol > Diesel > 1.2L Petrol MT > 1.2L Petrol DCA.

I think the DCA technology is something we've not seen before from the company, and given that it's a Tata, I'd prefer to play it safe, and wait it out until Tata irons out any possible niggles or reliability issues that may be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Tata Motors launched the Altroz premium hatchback in India a couple of years back. Since it went on sale the hatchback has received a few updates last year, including the addition of a new turbo-petrol engine and more recently the addition of a brand new automatic transmission system.

The 2022 Altroz premium hatchback now comes with a range of engine options, including two petrol and one diesel unit. While all three are offered with a standard manual gearbox, the base 1.2L NA petrol now comes with the brand's all-new DCA (Dual-Clutch Automatic) transmission as optional on the higher trims.

So, if you were to buy the Tata Altroz, which engine option would you pick & why?
Old 27th April 2022, 02:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 1.2 NA DCA. Can’t think of driving a manual anymore with traffic around. So only 1 choice among current options.

However if I have to put my money, will wait for the DCA integration with 1.2 turbo.
Old 27th April 2022, 07:31   #21
BHPian

I think they are also looking to launch Tigor and Altroz EVs. If the EV is reasonably priced and has decent range, I would go for the EV as my daily driver.
Old 27th April 2022, 11:48   #22
BHPian

Voted for the Turbo Petrol MT. Although the diesel engine comes across as the most powerful offering, the ride comfort and the smoothness of the Petrol engine is something that I would miss with the Diesel counterpart. Newer cars may not be that different, but as you put more miles on the car, the differences start to show up.
Old 27th April 2022, 13:17   #23
BHPian

I had been looking into buying the turbo petrol as my first car but the poll is making me think twice! I have been brought up to believe that diesel engines are generally inferior. They are more noisy, maintenance is higher and such. Do those things still hold true today. Is it possible to figure out the difference between the diesel and petrol variants as a passenger?
Old 27th April 2022, 18:05   #24
BHPian

I have voted for Diesel MT = the combination of engine and chassis is great. Other combinations are not that exciting plus TATA seems to have withheld the introduction of fun-to-drive engines + AT cause of cost factor.

They ain't comfortable with the customer deciding what to have for themselves...
Old 27th April 2022, 19:17   #25
BHPian

Voted for the diesel.

I have one and one has to actually drive it to understand the beautiful combination of speed, dynamics, robustness and handling this vehicle has.

After driving the punto for a considerable period (which i still own) this is one vehicle which really touches the heart. One test drive and I was sold.

While deciding I drove all other competitors and this one was ahead by a mile. Even drove the nexon diesel but one I did not like the looks plus interiors and second was the body roll which is literally absent in the Altroz.

I sometimes wish it had a 6th gear and a sports mode but then , wishes are endless. The car comes to its character and charm in 3rd and 4th gear and pulls really sweetly, at the same time making you feel confident and safe regardless of the speed it is at.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz | 1.2L Petrol vs 1.2L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?-da7e1c8146a14190b5873c578a84cfd5.jpeg  

Tata Altroz | 1.2L Petrol vs 1.2L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?-b9d79e4aa50346718dd67eabb27900a6.jpeg  

NST440 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:08   #26
BHPian

For me its Diesel vs Turbo Petrol vs DCA depending on the requirement. Diesel if I'm gonna do a lot of highway drives, Turbo petrol if primary usage is within city and some occasional highway runs. DCA only if my usage is completely with in city & have another car for doing highway duty.
Old 29th April 2022, 08:46   #27
BHPian

Voted for the diesel. I have driven all three engines of the Altroz and while the iTurbo is fun to drive, it's nowhere near as fun as the diesel. Just wish they had provided the Nexon state of tune, then we'd have a Hyundai Getz 1.5 v2.0 in our hands. I'm not taking into account all the DPF issues that is reported with the 1.5 Altroz, but only the driving experience.
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
I had been looking into buying the turbo petrol as my first car but the poll is making me think twice! I have been brought up to believe that diesel engines are generally inferior. They are more noisy, maintenance is higher and such. Do those things still hold true today. Is it possible to figure out the difference between the diesel and petrol variants as a passenger?
First off, iTurbo is not a direct injection turbo petrol like any other turbo-petrol in the market, so theoretically there are lesser parts prone to failure. It doesn't exactly mean that it is definitely more reliable than say, Hyundai-Kia's TGDi's but again theoretically, it might cost you lesser in your overall ownership in case there are any issues.
Also, the car's usage should dictate your buying choice. If you're not going to make frequent highway runs of 50+ kms, then i don't see a point in saddling yourself with a BS6 diesel, with its own set of issues like DPF clogging. I don't think diesels are meant to be used in any privately owned hatchback used predominantly in the city and for short trips.
I drive a 2011 i10 and 2017 i20 (both NA petrols), and the iTurbo seemed 2X faster than either car when i test drove it, so performance is a subjective term.
Also, i think it has been pointed out before, the Altroz diesel is not one for slopes, unless you know how to use the accelerator-brake-handbrake combo accurately. Simple basement parking slopes with stop-go situations can catch you out unaware and make you slide back, as i don't think there's hill-assist in any manual variant of Altroz.
You might not face that issue with the iTurbo, as the low-end performance is kind of decent, not very different from my current NA petrol cars. Releasing the clutch in first gear is generally sufficient to get you going on minor slopes, like parking lots and ramps.

Last edited by Small Bot : 2nd August 2022 at 08:59. Reason: Quoted the wrong post initially
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:20   #29
BHPian

Use case:
I am in the market for 2nd car as a city warrior/short-drive car for Mumbai with very occasional highway runs. I have a 5 year old who will be picked up/ dropped to school, local errands and short work meets.

1.2 NA Petrol DCA it will be, if I pick the Altroz.
Old 30th June 2023, 19:52   #30
BHPian

Voted for the iTurbo,

Having picked one up almost a year back - really not regretting the choice a single bit. An amazingly fun vehicle to drive and own (especially after a few mods like tyres and a remap and intake). The sound, the stance, the rev range is just a very comfortable and linear. Yes it doesn't have that sharp torque rush like the Diesel but I personally do prefer more fun on the weekends as to winding roads at 3.5-4k rpm than to having all the meat down low. Diesel would definitely be a close second. And a choice I would have easily defaulted to if it was for the iTurbo to not exist.

My use case: daily inter-city stretches with weekends full of fun winding roads.

Also kudos for the excellent clutch, suspension and steering. Tata has that nailed down pretty well
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz | 1.2L Petrol vs 1.2L Turbo-Petrol vs 1.5L Diesel | Which engine would you choose?-pxl_20230624_1205588683.jpg  

Last edited by CannedShroud : 30th June 2023 at 19:56. Reason: Added image
CannedShroud is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks