Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2022, 22:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Replacing my VW Polo 1.6L MPI - Which car?

I own a 1.2 GT TSI. I’ve had it for more than 7 years now and I have never walked away from their without a smile on my face.

This weekend, I finished an approx 1100 km Pune-hyd-Pune trip in approx 30 hours. The polo never skipped a beat! The question you posed was nagging me through out the whole trip. In short, there’s really nothing under the 20L range that can match this experience. When the time comes, I have absolutely no idea what I’ll replace it with.

Your best bet is a used 1.2 GT TSI
three10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
May I suggest a Kia Sonet 1.5 diesel automatic GTX, it would be the best for the replacement. Compact footprint and Compact SUV great kit and super engine and transmission. No Turbo Petrol headaches and no DSG headaches, and awesome fuel efficiency.
What is "Turbo Petrol headache"? Do you mean 'head-spinning' after you have a blast driving a VAG turbo-petrol with a heavy foot around corners? I've experienced that in my 1.2GT TSI
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 19:57   #18
BHPian

Sir, having already tasted the driver-delight Polo, i'm afraid, you may not find an equally competent machine. In my view, for your stated requirements, only a GT TSI will do. Having said that, since that model is stopped now, you can check-out the i20 N-line:
100HP + - Yes
DCT - Yes
Turbo - Yes

Yes, 14L price tag is bit too much, but given your experience a thorough test drive may put some doubts to rest.

I do not know whether going for a used Polo/Rapid will prove a trouble-free decision. But since the drive is predominantly in the city, in worst-case, if there's a DSG break-down, situation would be more manageable. However, if you get hold of a used GT/Rapid with TC gearbox, with all other used-car buying checks ticked, may be a good-bet.

Just curious - have heard lot of praise of Kiger/Magnite automatic variants. Your #1,2 requirements are met, however both come with a CVT gearbox. I have test-driven the Magnite CVT - it's not slow by any means, especially for city usage. Why not test drive them and check-out?

Good Luck.
Old 21st June 2022, 11:49   #19
BHPian

I request you to wait for the upcoming XUV300 130hp Turbo.
However, it may (as per rumours) launch initially with Manual and followed by Automatic.
And with all speculations, it should be launched with a DCT automatic given the powertrain specs and target audience. Regarding the handling and other areas, we will have wait and watch.

Other than this, there is nothing in the market better than or as good as a Polo. Period. The next alternative to Polo for your specific requirement is only its cousin sibling, the Octavia. Alternatively, you can also look out for a pre-worshipped Octavia/Polo GT TSI/Punto Abarth/Linea TJet/Rapid TSI/Vento TSI, etc.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:55   #20
BHPian

I can attest to the fact that the Nline is a hoot to drive, especially with higher octane fuel. XP95. At higher rpms, you will be disappointed, but in the mid range and in-gear acceleration is really good.
Old 21st June 2022, 22:37   #21
BHPian

Go for Jeep Compass. I still own a Polo which is 80k kms and now using it as a City car.

I also had a budget of 20. I drove all of them but Jeep felt like it and is now my new Highway car. Had to stretch the budget a little.
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:25   #22
BHPian

It’s extremely difficult to find a replacement for Polo/ Vento. I have a 8 year old Vento 1.6 MPI. And it’s a pretty solid engine. Recently I was in a similar dilemma to replace my Vento. Finally decided not to lose the charming NA engine. I think I would go with suggestions of many fellow BHPians and suggest you go for any left over 1.0 TSI Polo. In today’s context there is no replacement till we have a new Polo or Fabia. (Hope so)
Old 24th June 2022, 19:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey everyone!
Thank you for the quick reverts which has confused me more than I actually was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I don't think there are many hatchbacks left with your criteria apart from the i20 N line.

If hatchback is not a strict requirement, there are options like the Sonet, Venue, Taigun, Kushaq etc

Honestly, with all the price rises, a top end i20 N line at 14 is okay when compared to the prices commanded by the pseudo SUVs which are basically hatchbacks on stilts.

Is there really anything else in this segment for an enthusiast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Unfortunately, there are not many cars which can replace the legendary Polo, yes spending 14 big ones on a hatchback is not worth, especially with the 3 star NCAP ratings.
The best option I can see here is to increase budget and get a Kushaq/Taigun mid models, these are the only cars which can come close to the Polo.
I think after experiencing the Germans, I can’t really see myself paying 14 lakhs for a Hyundai. But then, I have not test driven the car yet. Im not in to the ‘so called’ SUVs as I don’t believe I will get the same level of fun and handling like that of the Polo. Besides, as mentioned earlier, I would like to stick to a hatch (smaller car) as I already have a Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The beauty of a Polo is that it's hard to be replaced. You would've been in an even worse dilemma if you had the 1.2 TSi and wanted a replacement after years of happy ownership!

Sorry, couldn't give you a suggestion!
This is precisely my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Do check out the last set of polo TSis available for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Your best bet is a Polo 1.2 TSI or even the last of the 1.0 TSI lying somewhere with a dealership (unlikely though).

As for the i20 N-Line, please check this thread which reports a few instances of fuel pump failures with turbo-petrol engines from Hyundai-Kia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeladri View Post
Just buy a used 1.2 TSI DSG Vento/Polo. Nothing to match them. I have 2 of them. (11 year old Vento 1.6 MPI Auto & 5 year old Vento TSI DSG) Fantastic cars, both! Experience cannot be replaced at all! PERIOD. I had a Skoda RS from 2005 and got rid of it with a heavy heart in 2017 but the 1.2 TSI gave some succour albeit not in the same class but still get some minor satisfaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
Your best bet is a used 1.2 GT TSI
So my mother-in-law has the 2019 GT TSI which has done only 13.5k kms and I am actually thinking of asking her to buy herself an i20 and give me the Polo. Not as easy as it sounds as she loves the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
May I suggest a Kia Sonet 1.5 diesel automatic GTX, it would be the best for the replacement. Compact footprint and Compact SUV great kit and super engine and transmission. No Turbo Petrol headaches and no DSG headaches, and awesome fuel efficiency.
No ‘wannabe’ SUVs for me.

And what turbo petrol & DSG headaches are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you want to save money, definitely do a lateral upgrade to a newer but used Polo TSI, or a Rapid / Vento TDI DSG (if your running is high + better legroom).
Already have the Jetta so another sedan makes no sense.

Quote:
But IMHO, 10 years is more than enough to experience a car. You should get a different "flavour" now. Considering you keep your cars for long, would really recommend the i20 N-Line & the Sonet too.
Quote:
Because you keep your cars for long, it's okay to splurge a bit.
The only reason I kept the Polo for so long was because I was waiting for the new MQB Polo to launch. This was going to be my replacement. Now, VW has not only decided to not launch the new Polo but has discontinued the Polo line all together!!

Quote:
How about a Taigun / Kushaq? 1.0 AT if you can't stretch the budget too much (1.0 turbo-petrol is a blast to drive), although I would strongly urge you to spend on the 1.5L DSG. That engine + gearbox combination is absolutely deadly. Work a little harder & make up the price difference .
I don't think the Taigun or Kushaq would handle as well and again don't want a bigger car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Have been seeing a lot of Nissan Magnite turbo cvts on the road. The feel of the car, most probably will be a let down for someone used to a solid Polo. However, it could be VFM and good, as a city runabout. Do give either the Magnite or its Renault counterpart a second look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Just curious - have heard lot of praise of Kiger/Magnite automatic variants. Your #1,2 requirements are met, however both come with a CVT gearbox. I have test-driven the Magnite CVT - it's not slow by any means, especially for city usage. Why not test drive them and check-out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I request you to wait for the upcoming XUV300 130hp Turbo.
Not even an option!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
You have a garage combo that many would be envious of!

Is your car suffering from any major mechanical flaws or issues? If not then it would be much cheaper to get the car refreshed mechanically and cosmetically too if you wish. The 1.6 MPI engine is extremely refined and one of the most reliable engines out of VW India's stable, it should be able to easily serve you well for the 10+ year mark.
The car is in perfect condition as on today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Having said this, I do understand that ownership inertia sets in after 5-7 years. Do think of doing something to refresh the car maybe a new RCD340 or a fresh coat of paint? Small things go a long long way, needless to say that this car is extremely mod friendly! IMHO there is no viable option today to 'replace' this legendary iteration of the Polo.

P.S.: Would love to see some pics of the iconic 1.6 Polo!
Mods already done:
HID Projector headlights | GTI Taillights | GTI Grill
Alpine HU | Morel front and rear stage | Mosconi Amp
16" Momo Quantum rims with 205/50/R16 Michelin PS4 tyres

Replacing my VW Polo 1.6L MPI - Which car?-img-1.jpg

Replacing my VW Polo 1.6L MPI - Which car?-img-2.jpg

Replacing my VW Polo 1.6L MPI - Which car?-img-3.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechb63 View Post
I remember your Polo when I was working at PMP where you got it ceramic coated some years back. I distinctly remember you telling me that although the GT has more power, it does not feel as solid as your 1.6.
And that still hasn't changed!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

So I managed to convince my Mother-in-Law to give me her TSI and buy herself a new car.

However, my wife is not happy with this decision as my MIL's car is blue in colour and my car is black. She believes that the blue is not meant for me and that I should stick to my black Polo.

Another option which I have thought of is to consider a used Mini Cooper / Mini Countryman. Thoughts?
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 21:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Another option which I have thought of is to consider a used Mini Cooper / Mini Countryman. Thoughts?
You should perhaps consider the GTI as well, if you can find one in good & stock condition though.

That would be a true successor to your Polo in my opinion.
Old 29th June 2022, 17:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechb63 View Post
You should perhaps consider the GTI as well, if you can find one in good & stock condition though.

That would be a true successor to your Polo in my opinion.
The few GTIs on sale online are asking for a whooping 22 lakhs + Is this a worthy price?

EDIT:
There is a 2017 GTI on sale in the TBHP classifieds for 16.75 lakhs but the car has done 72k kms and located in Delhi. Also, I think I will have to pay some taxes to transfer the vehicle from Delhi to Mumbai.

Last edited by Epic : 29th June 2022 at 18:07.
Old 30th June 2022, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The few GTIs on sale online are asking for a whooping 22 lakhs + Is this a worthy price?

EDIT:
There is a 2017 GTI on sale in the TBHP classifieds for 16.75 lakhs but the car has done 72k kms and located in Delhi. Also, I think I will have to pay some taxes to transfer the vehicle from Delhi to Mumbai.
Well, the pre-owned car market has indeed gone crazy these days. I have seen a 2020 Mercedes GLS 400d listed for way over its invoice value. If there is a demand, a seller will indeed milk that opportunity. That said, do have a chat with the folks quoting over 22 Lakhs. If the car has become a liability, stuck in their stock for a long time, they might drop it down.
Additionally, in the case of the GTI, most of the owners have modified the car heavily. Larger turbos, downpipes, stage2 tuning and the works. This is another reason why sellers quote prices so close to the original selling price.

An outstate registered car should not be a problem, all you need is a NOC from that respective RTO in Delhi and a good RTO agent in Mumbai to get it done.
You will have to pay Maharasthra road tax on the car according to the depreciated invoice value.
Old 27th March 2023, 16:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Reviving this thread again.

So, I was toying with the idea of replacing my 10+ year old Polo 1.6 MPI with a used Mini Cooper S. The used cars in the market are asking 25+ lakhs which I felt made no sense for a hatch. My trusted mechanic has also asked me to stay away from the Minis as they have a stiff set up which leads to abnormal wear of suspension and engine mounts. So for me, it made no sense to spend that kind of money on a hatch and then spend on constant repairs as well.

I have now come across the BMW 116i where a used 2014 car with around 45k kms is for less than 10 lakhs.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 27th March 2023, 16:55   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo GTI and Mini Cooper are special IMO because they are super compact and powerful. Other cars are relatively big with less power on tap, ok but not special.
Old 11th April 2023, 20:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

So after a lot of thought I have come down to the following 02 options:

Volvo V40 D3 R-Design
There are a couple of V40 available in the used car market. A 2016 car with 35k kms is asking for around 12-14 lakhs. Taking into cosideration the specs and kit, this would be a very good upgrade to my Polo 1.6

Pros
- A definite upgrade to the Polo
- Damn good looking
- Lovely safety kit
- 150 bhp | 320 Nm torque
- Larger and more premium than the Polo
- Will definitely be fund to drive

Cons
- Not sure if spending 12 lakhs on a car of this age is worth it.
- 6+ year old car so not sure of the cost of maintenance.
- Diesel engine
- More kit and electronics = More problems
- Extended warranty for 2 lakhs available from 3rd party but for maximum 02 years

VW Polo 1.2 GT TSI
My mother-in-law is willing to give me her barely used 2019 GT TSI and buy herself a new car.

Pros
- Zero cost to me
- Familiar car to me but totally outdated as compared to the V40
- Lovely 1.2 TSI engine with DSG
- Still under company warranty

Cons
- Will not really feel as an upgrade
- It is Lapiz Blue and wife doesn't like the colour (My current Polo is Black)
- Will have to spend on cosmetic modifications (alloys, projector headlights, etc) again.

I'm in an absolute fix.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks