Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Moving on from my Palio 1.9D, What next???

Guys,

I've been a silent spectator in tbhp, learning my way through the automotive industry..great place to be...

Now, the point of this thread is to use the experience of guyz in this thread to find me my next car.
I currently own a first hand 2004 Palio 1.9D, and am very satisfied with it. But, time has now come for me to upgrade from a hatch to a sedan. I have been reading 100s of threads here to decide on my next car. After all said and done, I have almost zeroed in on the Hyundai Elantra CRDi...

The only other option I have (as I see it) is to go for the fully loaded version of the ford fiesta TDCi...

I know that the Fiesta and the Elatra are in two different classes and the Fiesta would be pure value for money...but condiering all other factors like FE, A.S.S, road presence etc, is the Elatra worth the 80k+ i pay etra for it, or should i limit my ambition to the fiesta...

commets please...your comments would make me choose, so please help...

Forgot to mention my budget and other specs -

around 9 lakhs+ OTR, Diesel, good FE, around 2000+ kms per month (70% highway)

Last edited by basilmabraham : 25th June 2007 at 20:43.
Old 25th June 2007, 20:48   #2
BHPian

Buy Maruti Suzuki SX4 they are soon coming with DDiS 1.9 for it
Old 25th June 2007, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Fiesta compared with Elentra because Fiesta is cheaper than Elentra and I heard new Elentra coming soon. Fiesta is stable Diesel sedan now and its fuel efficient too.

You test drive both also Logan which is nice car as well and see which you like.

Also Since you own Palio may be wait for 8 months for Linea or Puntoo. May be you can get good discounts if you uprgade from Palio to Linea.

However If you want to buy Sedan in very near future go for Fiesta If you short list Fiest and Elentra.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 25th June 2007 at 20:51.
Old 25th June 2007, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well i would suggest you to look at the Elantra, its ahead of the Fiesta in quite a few aspects like braking, torque, power(way ahead) and space. The rear of the Fiesta is cramped. Hyundai wont be coming with the Elantra in the near future as they are finding it hard to price it competatively and hence are localising it majorly.

I would suggest you have a test drive of both the vehicles.

The Fiesta is 68bhp and the Elantra is 112bhp. The Fiesta is more Fuel efficient but the Elantra is more powerful and Hyundai A.S.S and spare prices are better and cheaper respectively then the Ford.

My Pick would surely be the Elantra for having more torque, power, space, features then the Fiesta 1.4(though the Ford is very silent and refined)
Old 25th June 2007, 20:58   #5
BHPian

thanks Busa and Ravi for the replies.

I am trying to get away from TVS, and TVS being the only dealer for Logan in Kerala, Logan is out of question.

I am not too keen on the power part, as 68 bhp and the refinement would make me happy. Though I would have loved more power, now thinking in a family perspective, 68bhp is fine by me. Also, I think I can plonk in a petes box, in the Fiesta, if need for more power arises...

Am not too worried about the new 2007 Elantra being launched, as I like the current versions look and also fear that the new one may be way beyond my budget, when launched.

Comparing the Palio D with the Elantra and the Fiesta for space and comfort, how are the ratings? I am more concerned about these than the performance.
Old 25th June 2007, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Also Since you own Palio may be wait for 8 months for Linea or Puntoo. May be you can get good discounts if you uprgade from Palio to Linea.
I second Ravi, if you can wait for another 1 year, Fiat Linea - Multijet Diesel will be the best bet!
Old 25th June 2007, 21:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I second Ravi, if you can wait for another 1 year, Fiat Linea - Multijet Diesel will be the best bet!
I think he needs the car now, though there is no doubt that the Linea is going to be far superior to the current Elantra and Fiesta in quite a few areas.

Quote:
But, time has now come for me to upgrade from a hatch to a sedan.
Anyways i think the Elantra is the most comfortable and it even comes with adjustable lumbar support and has the most space out of the three, then comes the Fiesta and then the Palio, though i must admit the rear bench of the Fiesta is nothing to write home about.

Take a test drive and see how it works.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:14   #8
BHPian

Right guys, thanks for all the responses...

Busa, I am looking at buying the car in a few months, will book the TDs asap and then try and decide...

finney, I was infact waiting for the Linea, which would definitely be a better car. But, the wait would be too long and no one knows, how Fiat would price it and no clue on the specs. (are we sure India would get the 1.9JTD, I doubt)

Will keep my eyes and ears open for your comments...

Also, how much do you guys think my 2004 Palio D would fetch, it has run around 53K kms, has Plati 14" alloys with Bridgestone Turanzas that have run less than 10K kms and everything else stock...

Last edited by basilmabraham : 25th June 2007 at 21:18.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Basil, in Turkey, Fiat Linea is launched with 1.3 Multijet 90 Bhp, I guess the same engine will be ported to Indian Linea as well and would be priced between 7 - 9 lacs.

Last edited by finneyp : 25th June 2007 at 21:20.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

ehm Optra Magnum also please for the test drive atleast.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:36   #11
BHPian

Jaggu, the launch of the Optra Magnum was what speeded up my decision to change my car...but dont know why, I cant decide on buying one yet. The car is yet to reach our dealer, who has agreed to contact me for one of the first TDs in Trivandrum.

Finney, thats is news to me. I had lost all hopes with Fiat launching their new car. Thanks a lot for the information. I hope, we get some solid dates for the launch of Linea in the next few months, which would definitely change my buying options. As they say, once a Fiat lover always a Fiat lover...... and please lets not get into a fight between Fiat lovers and others here...
Old 25th June 2007, 21:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

I agree about Elentra's practical choice its roomy car comapred with Fiesta and service is good from Hyundai.

If you need better space its Elentra then If you can live with Fiesta's decent space inside TFD and decide.

About Linea yes I feel since you own Pailo only Linea can make you feel more happy because Fiat guy always need Fiat when he upgrades according to me because I saw many guys crying over few things when sold Pailo and baught other non Fiat cars. so If you can wait untill this year end you can find some news about Linea.

I feel Linea is really good package to wait for. However I do agree we can't predict much about Fiat's planning.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

why not go in for verna crdi, it has power and has good FE too. Downside is the looks. you'll get good A.S.S also and also maintainance is cheaper than fiesta.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:49   #14
BHPian

Thats very true Ravi, I still find my PalioD better than many entry level sedans in the market today. But, all said and done, a hatch is a hatch...so the need to upgrade.
Lets say its the snob value a sedan carries that I am looking for. But, I cant compromise on anything just for buying a hatch. Lets see what the next few months have in store, though I dont expect much from Fiat side.
Old 26th June 2007, 12:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

I seriously think the optra magnum should be the right thing for you. Maybe you might need to extent your budget slightly but it would surely be worth the buy. I guess they would be giving you the 3yr/1Lkm warranty with this one too. Go for the Magnum. It looks really appealing on paper. Just have a TD first.

After owning a FIAT you wont appreciate the fords hard suspension which would keep you flying around on bad roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks